Sign in to follow this  
Smokescreen38

TT02RR front ring gear hits housing...What am I doing wrong?

Probably a dumb question but I’ve had this thing apart twice now and it really looks like  I’ve followed the directions to the letter...but I must be missing something because the ring gear seems to be too big for the differential housing and it binds when you turn the driveshaft.  Opening the case and lifting the diff assembly up a bit to provide some clearance shows that everything is moving correctly.   So why is this binding?

Yes, The rear differential spins properly.  

Any help would be welcome! Insults about my incompetence will be humbly accepted :D 

B5208A95-547A-4CA2-8B9D-53299B3831A1.jpeg

If you have the beveled pinion gear out (GB2), does the diff spin properly? If so, it may be that the pinion gear is too close to the ring gear causing the binding.

Take the centre drive shaft out and see if the problem still exists. If so it could be that GB5 (spur gear) is not mated to GB3 properly causing a little offset to the front which is pushing the pinion against the ring gear.

• Like 1

Probably a long shot, but when assembling the lower arms you didn't temporarily hold part A9 in position with the the bumper screws MA4, to help fit the MA5 screw that holds it all together? Doing this can form a pimple of plastic inside the gearbox which interferes with the diff ring gear! (speaking from experience, on several models :wacko:).

• Like 2

Thanks to both of you guys!  
while those were both good suggestions, @martinjpayne nailed it!! 

I backed the screw out, smoothed it down with the point of a soldering iron and I’m in business.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, martinjpayne said:

Probably a long shot, but when assembling the lower arms you didn't temporarily hold part A9 in position with the the bumper screws MA4, to help fit the MA5 screw that holds it all together? Doing this can form a pimple of plastic inside the gearbox which interferes with the diff ring gear! (speaking from experience, on several models :wacko:).

Good to know, will be helping to build a TT02B in the near future.

@LeftyAl You shouldn't have this problem with a TT02B as the equivalent part A14 is held in place with shorter screws from the get-go, as the lower arms are held on with a u-shaped rod.

• Thanks 1