smirk-racing

CC-02 Monster truck conversion??

Hi all,

Looking for some advice here - would the CC-02 make a decent monster truck? It has the same basic design (solid axle, frame rail) as the Axial scx10, which a lot of people converted to monster trucks, so I'm wondering if the CC-02 can be a *light* monster truck (i.e. not a true clod-sized monster with huge 2.6 wheels & tires etc, but perhaps something more like a 2.2 size.)

Any thoughts? 

Thanks!

Axle width may be the biggest stumbling block. Getting enough steering lock with some suitably giant tyres. Other than that I can't see why not.

4 wheel steering is a possibility too, can't be to hard to graft on another front axle.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, smirk-racing said:

would the CC-02 make a decent monster truck?

Its the first thing I wondered when I saw the chassis unveiled. I planned on sitting back and seeing what comes of it as it makes its way into hobbyist' hands. 

You’d have to  do something different with the Battery to make 4WS, you might also have to limit the steering a bit too fit for clearance. 

I’ve only just started to get my body fitted. Fitting the Land Rover body has been a bit of a mission, with the wheelbase being so much shorter. 

Sure it could.  Would problably make a decent 2.2 monster, but I wouldnt try running Clod tires.  I've built quite a few SCX10 2.2 monster trucks and they're a blast.  Just get the gearing right and you're good to go, the stock drivetrain should hold up fine if you dont go crazy with the power.  

That's just a pointless idea. It's not suitable at all.

xQe6D74.gif
CbtARzG.gif
UqSyypS.gif

• Haha 4

I think you can build something like this. CC02 axles are about 1cm wider than Trex 44's in the photos but dimensions are close. You might need wheel wideners to prevent front tires rubbing suspension links. You an also buy a Juggernaut plastic frame and mount all CC02 drive train on it and build a more realistic looking monster truck.

Screenshot_2019-12-16 DSC_0542 jpg (JPEG Image, 1024 × 683 pixels).png

Screenshot_2019-12-16 DSC_0545-1 jpg (JPEG Image, 1024 × 683 pixels).png

• Like 3

Anyone know if the Tamiya portal axles will work with the CC-02?

Don't think so. At least not on the rear axle, it doesn't have separate uprights. It's the same setup as a cc01 plain axles with a hex stuffed on the end.

On 12/17/2019 at 12:01 AM, Biz73 said:

Anyone know if the Tamiya portal axles will work with the CC-02?

No they won’t ever work with it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Juls1 said:

No they won’t ever work with it.

I hadn't even looked at them when I asked. I was thinking about extra body clearance. Oh well. :)

29 minutes ago, Biz73 said:

I hadn't even looked at them when I asked. I was thinking about extra body clearance. Oh well. :)

You might be able to bodgy them on, but they certainly won’t just bolt on. The CC02 is very much a new design all over. 

Hi all

I've set about doing exactly that, and the results so far are good. I really liked the look of the CC-02, but found the Mercedes shell a bit too dreary. I've wanted to keep the completed vehicle as a pure Tamiya, so am using only Tamiya parts.

The WT-02 wheels and Blackfoot tyres from the Amarok truck fit on without modification. All I needed to do was turn the front bumper over, using all the spacers in the kit and some longer screws, to lift it as high as possible so that it clears on full lock. With springs fully compressed it does clip it, just about, so I may opt to lift it a little bit more.

I'm indecisive about the body. I sourced a polycarbonate Brat shell and the Mud Blaster 2 stickers which I might use, but I quite fancy something a bit more agricultural like a Unimog. No idea yet!

Assuming I might have used the Brat shell, I have shortened the wheel base a notch (about half an inch) by mounting the rear axle further forward on the chassis.

A Sport Tuned motor has been added. Gear ratios are 'standard' (ie those that it came with but not set up in low ratio format). I have utilised all the shock spacers to get some stiffness in the suspension.

I've only run it briefly as the tyres only arrived this morning. I can report that the gear ratios work well for the set-up, very accelerative and decently fast. It pops wheelies easily, and rocks about the longitudinal axis when stabbing the power in, reminiscent of a real monster truck. 

Here's a pic of the chassis, I think it works perfectly and I would be surprised if Tamiya didn't release this in monster truck format in the future.

Any opinions about the body would be gratefully received. Must be Tamiya parts only, and if a good idea is suggested I'll build it!

Cheers all

IMG_3356.thumb.jpeg.6023fbdfd163c6be0d3d67ba67c2ed6a.jpeg

• Like 9

2 hours ago, Tamoshi said:

Any opinions about the body would be gratefully received. Must be Tamiya parts only, and if a good idea is suggested I'll build it!

Looks very promising! I'd consider a Blackfoot shell. It suits the monster stance and would quite versatile.  It would look good as a rusty beater, a shiny show truck or anything in between. 

• Like 5

I love that. I considered converting my scx10 into a monster truck but need to replace it with a new scaler first. It's so good as a class 2 I might just keep it and do a cc02 monster instead, at least once I have finished some other projects

I am really digging that. I was holding out for a CC02 with a better body but this might push me into getting one sooner (I don't see Tamiya doing much new with the situation the world's in currently). Any possibility of getting a side profile pic and a head on pic? Looks great.

19 hours ago, Tamoshi said:

Hi all

I've set about doing exactly that, and the results so far are good. I really liked the look of the CC-02, but found the Mercedes shell a bit too dreary. I've wanted to keep the completed vehicle as a pure Tamiya, so am using only Tamiya parts.

The WT-02 wheels and Blackfoot tyres from the Amarok truck fit on without modification. All I needed to do was turn the front bumper over, using all the spacers in the kit and some longer screws, to lift it as high as possible so that it clears on full lock. With springs fully compressed it does clip it, just about, so I may opt to lift it a little bit more.

I'm indecisive about the body. I sourced a polycarbonate Brat shell and the Mud Blaster 2 stickers which I might use, but I quite fancy something a bit more agricultural like a Unimog. No idea yet!

Assuming I might have used the Brat shell, I have shortened the wheel base a notch (about half an inch) by mounting the rear axle further forward on the chassis.

A Sport Tuned motor has been added. Gear ratios are 'standard' (ie those that it came with but not set up in low ratio format). I have utilised all the shock spacers to get some stiffness in the suspension.

I've only run it briefly as the tyres only arrived this morning. I can report that the gear ratios work well for the set-up, very accelerative and decently fast. It pops wheelies easily, and rocks about the longitudinal axis when stabbing the power in, reminiscent of a real monster truck. 

Here's a pic of the chassis, I think it works perfectly and I would be surprised if Tamiya didn't release this in monster truck format in the future.

Cheers all

Wonderful chassis, and FANTASTIC IDEA. Had I have the money, I'd like one stock and one to go 2.2 :D

Here you go, @Saito2

Thanks to all for positive feedback.

Blackfoot body suggestion is a good one, but I'd like something more compact/narrow bodied... So jury is still out!

IMG_3364.jpg

IMG_3365.jpg

IMG_3367.JPG

IMG_3368.JPG

• Like 7

I've wondered about this conversion with a Landfreeder shell 

It looks to work very well. How did you manage to fit in bigger wheels/tyres without touching the front shocks when steering?

The F150 Baja style body from 58495 would look good on that