Grumpy pants

Tell me more about the Terra Scorcher family.

The Terra Scorcher has really caught my imagination recently, I really like the look of it.

It’s not my usual thing at all, but buggies and definitely becoming more interesting to me.

What is it like to run, are parts tough to get and expensive to source?

Lack of time and money means it is an unlikely scenario to buy anything tbh, but I’d like to know more.

There seem to be 4 models in the line up, Thundershot, Fire Dragon, Terra Scorcher and another I can’t remember.  

Gratuitous glory shots always welcomed!  

The mighty THUNDER DRAGON! 

20180714_162828

I have never found parts hard to get, apart from the front bumper. Thry run really nicely and have a lot of modern features like drive shaft length and gearbox outdrives etc, so spares or hop ups don't have to vintage. They are geared quite high (6.88 on the maximum 17t pinion) so they run mild brushless like 17.5 or 13.5 really nicely. No need for vintage electronics. Reinforce the notorious A5 part somehow (there are lota of solutions) and you are golden. The stock wheels and tyres are a weird size, but they don't work that well anyway. They are quite oversteery so getting some modern 2.2" wheels with narrower fronts and the option to runsomething like a cut stagger to balance out a spike tyre at the rear results in a really nice handling car. 

• Like 2

Additional -

1) I would stay away from Terra Scorcher style adjustable upper camber links (i made some with regular 5mm tamiya ball nuts and collars and turnbuckles) with the stock arms as they are strong but quite flexy. Keeping the solid upper arms give it good stiffness and it has some decent camber anyway. Mine only felt good with camber links after i went nuts and grafted on TRF511 suspension! 

2) If you get a Thundershot or Thunder Dragon but want to twin shock on the front get the Terra Scorcher/Fire Dragon G parts shock towers with the wider setting. The narrowerkit tower on the original two releases requires incredibly stiff springs and limited travel to get close to working. I ended up using touring car shocks to get something vaguely workable before switching the front tower out. 

• Like 1

The release order was 

Thundershot  58067 Released in Nov 1987 as the replacement series to the HotShot/Boomerang family with ALL new components, much less parts, easy access tub chassis, less bump steer, better geometry, lighter and therefore faster and better handling.

Thunderdragon 58073 Released in March 1988 exactly the same as above only a different body (sold much better in Japan then here as the body was Manga inspired)

Terra Scorcer 58075 Released in Dec 1988 with extensive upgrades - Twin front shocks is most visible also visisble is the adjustable upper arms (as @ThunderDragonCy says not the best upgrade as they introduce a lot of slop), it also came fully ball-raced, with a rear sway bar (rather then just the front one) remodeled front shock towers, The only buggy in the family with a rear wing, White wheel rims instead of black and front UJ drive shafts.

Finally came the Fire Dragon 58078 released in April 1989, same as the first two buggies with the twin front shocks retained from the Terra Scorcher. Body was also Manga inspired.

The Thundershot has been re-released in 05 and the Fire Dragon in 08.

The Thundershot was also released as a full kit with Adspec radio gear, Tamiya CRP, battery and charger in Dec 1987 with model number 57001, I think it was one of only 2 kits done like this (other was sonic fighter)

The Thundershot also had a Quick Drive version as did the Thunderdragon.

Sort out the A5 and its a decent vintage buggy. I have all 4 and the Thundershot was my first NIB Tamiya kit back in the day.

• Like 1

here is the family in order bottom to top, only the Terra Scorcher is non box art and most of mine have several upgrades that are non box stock.

2019-12-17_08-05-01

• Like 1

Have to say that the Thunder Dragon in that orange looks stunning as do the box art versions above. Really hoping for a re-release of at least one from this series in the near future. I am new back in to this hobby after a gap of around 30 years!  Do any of the long timers know when most re releases get announced? Is it the yearly Nuremberg toy fair? The stock levels of a lot of re release kits seems to be dwindling recently. 

• Like 1

@Nova1 You have very fine taste!

ReRe seem to be announced in time for toy fairs, but there hasn't been much mentioned since the Super Astute and rererere of the Top Force. Tamiya have released the brand new CC02, and rumours persist of a new buggy platform so my current guess is that it will cool off on the rere but we will get some new stuff. 

• Like 1

I'm loving the one i got from Baddon. It's a Thundershot that I'm upgrading to Terrascorcher spec, but will have two bodies for it, the Terra Scorcher and Thundershot. 

Biggest issue going up to the Terra Scorcher spec is the unique ball collar and the bumpers have become unobtainable.

• Like 1

I have 2 bumpers for a thundershot series car. 

I used and ...........one NIP vintage. If your interested drop me a message.

20 hours ago, GTodd said:

I'm loving the one i got from Baddon. It's a Thundershot that I'm upgrading to Terrascorcher spec, but will have two bodies for it, the Terra Scorcher and Thundershot. 

Biggest issue going up to the Terra Scorcher spec is the unique ball collar and the bumpers have become unobtainable.

ball collar? part number?

nm. gotcha. its part no 3455223 in the manual

edit: part number

5 hours ago, Baddon said:

I have 2 bumpers for a thundershot series car. 

I used and ...........one NIP vintage. If your interested drop me a message.

Heck yeah!