Akz2116

Which battery for a Tamiya RC truck series?

Hiya Folks,

I just got my 1st ever taste of a Tamiya scale Truck, 1/14 th grand hauler...love them American truckers.

Anyhooo, sorting thru some logistics, curious which battery packs some of you are using? I know recommended was the 7V Tamiya ones with its own connectors but can I use a Lipo for more juice instead, and which types are suitable...

Thanks peeps!

Will you be using a Tamiya MFU, an aftermarket speed controller, or a third party MFU (like Beier or Servonaut)?

If you are using the Tamiya MFU then be advised that there is no LiPo cutoff.  You should run a LiPo alarm or other cutoff to prevent damage to your LiPo.  Also note that the MFU (01 and 03) don't always play nicely with LiPo voltage and can exhibit odd behaviour.  I think this is because the LiPo voltage profile is different to a NiCd / NiMH and the MFU cannot handle the lower voltage from a LiPo at the end of its capacity, but I might be wrong.

If you are using an aftermarket speed controller or MFU then use whatever battery that controller is happy with - it won't really matter.  There are plenty of budget LiPo-safe ESCs that will be fine for a big rig.  At the other end of the pricerange, the new Beier SFR-1 is LiPo compatible and will give configurable audible warnings before the battery goes under voltage.

I've been using Ripmax 3000mAh NiMH packs in my MFU rigs for a while.  I currently have two rigs and two 3000mAh packs.  Each rig gets a fresh pack at the start of an event and mostly I don't need to change packs all day.  If I have a real heavy day driving then I might need to swap in an older 1700mAh pack, but I've never ever discharged the second pack before the day is over.  As long as you're not operating lots of additional hardware or hauling very heavy loads, big rigs don't draw a lot of current so the batteries don't get worked hard and the cells don't get out of balance as quickly as they do with faster cars.  Much as I love the power and performance of LiPo, the convenience of NiMH in my big rigs is brilliant.  I can leave them on the shelf with the batteries connected for several months.  Any time I want to add more light or ambience to my studio, I can switch on the rigs (in static mode) and turn the lights on.  I wouldn't do that with LiPo batteries.

I will probably be using 2S LiPo once I switch to Beier SFR-1 units, simply because I can use shorty packs and get much more space to house electrics and speaker boxes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I like to use high capacity NiMH batteries in the big rigs. The Globe Liner and King Hauler can also take a 7 cell hump pack. This is my go to. I like the heavy weight of the batteries.

• Thanks 1

You can use soft pack LiPos if you want. You don't have to use hard case, unless you are going to take it off some sweet jumps?

I have gens ace 4000mah LiPos in my 3 that have a battery tray underneath (the wires don't exit the pack centrally, so the tray required a little trimming). And my Grand and Globe use a Hyperion Swift Classic pack, or the aforementioned soft packs.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I just run some tiny 2200mah soft case lipo’s, the trucks use such a small amount of power unless your pulling silly loads or trying to get 30+ mins run time per pack a high capacity lipo is overkill.  

I use the GT Power system for all my trucks, 

http://www.rcmart.com/highend-container-truck-light-system-p-81447.html?cPath=595_744_715

Lipo cutoff, built in ESC, sound, lights, trailer hitch etc etc AND you can use a 4ch digital pistol radio no problems at all. All settings controlled by a app on your phone. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/17/2019 at 7:57 PM, Juls1 said:

I just run some tiny 2200mah soft case lipo’s, the trucks use such a small amount of power unless your pulling silly loads or trying to get 30+ mins run time per pack a high capacity lipo is overkill.  

I use the GT Power system for all my trucks, 

http://www.rcmart.com/highend-container-truck-light-system-p-81447.html?cPath=595_744_715

Lipo cutoff, built in ESC, sound, lights, trailer hitch etc etc AND you can use a 4ch digital pistol radio no problems at all. All settings controlled by a app on your phone. 

Would the Pistol radio you use happen to be something like the Abisma/Flysky GT5 by any chance, that has the 3 position 3rd Channel?

I’m finding myself sniffing around the Big Rigs again and as much as it’s nice to keep to a Tamiya MFU the fact GT Powers are happy on LiPo is a bonus🤔 Especially as it would be a paper weight for 99% of its life. More interested in the lights than the sound.

Also, is the GT Power easy to change between LiPo and NiMH batteries. So you could run on LiPo, and just stick an old NiMH in it if you just want it sitting on the shelf with the lights on?

5 hours ago, Re-Bugged said:

Would the Pistol radio you use happen to be something like the Abisma/Flysky GT5 by any chance, that has the 3 position 3rd Channel?

I’m finding myself sniffing around the Big Rigs again and as much as it’s nice to keep to a Tamiya MFU the fact GT Powers are happy on LiPo is a bonus🤔 Especially as it would be a paper weight for 99% of its life. More interested in the lights than the sound.

Also, is the GT Power easy to change between LiPo and NiMH batteries. So you could run on LiPo, and just stick an old NiMH in it if you just want it sitting on the shelf with the lights on?

So I’m using a spectrum dx5r. I have it setup on the 3rd channel with a click button under my thumb, one click forward goes up 1 gear, one click back goes down 1 gear. So yes it works as 3 position. 

first thing you must understand about the truck light/esc controller is that “it will NOT, work on a 3ch radio” 

it won’t flash up, won’t calibrate, won’t do absoluently anything unless there is a 4ch+ receiver/radio connected. if you don’t hook up a proper 4ch receiver/transmitter then it’s just a brick. The 4th channel can be used for the horn and automatic trailer hitch. Trust me I spent hours stuffing about with a 3ch receiver then I hooked up a 5ch and it instantly worked.

secondly if you have adjustable electronic epa’s there is a possibility it won’t calibrate the throttle with the epa at only 100%, if there is a higher option. Generally the radio must be set max epa for it to understand, in my case that was 150%. Now you might be thinking gee that all sounds a bit crazy, well the Tamiya unit on the same type of radio has all of those requirements too, but the Tamiya unit doesn’t play fair on electronic trims and epa very well. 

as for the nimh/lipo query I cannot see a issue, from memory you can set that up in the phone app.. yes everything, I mean everything is programmable in the Bluetooth phone app. Which lights do what, what channels do what, and loads of other options. 

after having used this system there is no way I’d even consider the Tamiya unit, if you want to use a digital pistol radio it’s really the only option, BUT, you must have a minimum of 4channel radio/rx. 

Juls. 

• Thanks 1

Thanks heaps @Juls1, sounds great 👍🏻 

I know my 3PV won’t work and I like the Pistols so one with a multi model memory I can use for cars as well would be great.

I was tempted by an MFU  03 on sale that is about to time out, but I honestly think the GT Power is a better option for me instead anyway, as will leave a bit room in the kitty for a new suitable Tx. 

I would certainly go with the gt power system if you want to use a digital type pistol radio. The Tamiya system is horribly outdated really. I think they should just rebadge the gt power system as a mfc04 :D

• Like 1