junkmunki

Sauber C12 info needed.

A bit of info needed here. I just purchased this vintage Sauber kit, and although i have seen the Sauber C12/F103 kit before, this one appears to be something special.

From the limited info i have been able to find, it would seem that this edition was only given as a prize at the 1994 Japanese national rc championships.

It has upgrades such as a carbon chassis and anodised aluminium motor mounts.

Am i right in thinking these were never released for general sale?

ANy info would be greatly appreciated.

J

ebay sauber.jpg

ebay sauber2.jpg

My understanding is was it was a general release kit but released to coincide with the 1994 Championship. Tamiya have done this in the past with a few kits another one is the Calsonic Skyline based on the TGX nitro chassis. That was released to celebrate Tamiya opening one of the tracks in Japan.

I have a Sauber C12 and just checked mine. Yes, I have both the aluminum motor mount and carbon chassis. My C12 was purchased in Japan by the previous owner who was in the Navy and purchased it in the mid-90's. 

This is kit # 49592 and was a normal worldwide limited edition release. It wasn't difficult to find back when it was new, but NIB examples are now surely relatively rare.

49592 was based on the normal Sauber C12 kit (#58130), which is a regular F103. The hop-up parts included with 49592 are typical for the period before the release of the F103RS and F103RX. Accordingly, I would suggest keeping the kit NIB and if you want an F103 or F104 to run, building a better performing and more modern chassis is easily possible at a lower cost than what you can get for a NIB 49592. A built 49592 isn't worth much more than any F103 with some outdated hop-ups. The single part that is valuable on its own, is the manual, which is specific for 49592.

• Like 1

sauberc12.thumb.jpg.8cb8decb239fb20692078eeed7d8a462.jpgGreat information Mokei! 

A photo of my Sauber C12 for reference. 

Thanks for all the input guys, it may not be as rare as i thought it was, but it will remain NIB.

J

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, junkmunki said:

Thanks for all the input guys, it may not be as rare as i thought it was, but it will remain NIB.

J

More than rare enough as a NIB to keep it NIB! :)

• Like 1