markbt73

Plans and goals for 2020

We always seem to have a thread like this around this time of year, so I might as well start it... My list is pretty simple this year, actually. I'm keeping it that way so that maybe I can complete it.

- Finish Kyosho Ultima restoration - currently half-assembled

- Finish "Manhattan Project" Brat - needs detail paint and final assembly/wiring, and I still need to find a bottle for the "cargo"

- MF-01X-based scaler build - this will be for a build-off on Scale Builder's guild - going to be a Daihatsu Hijet 4x4 mini-truck, in 1/10 scale

- Build my newly-acquired Turbo Optima re-re, and run the snot out of it (I have an original Optima to stay nice, this one is getting used like it was meant to be)

- Set up a nice display area for vintage RC cars and NIB static kits - not sure what form this will take, but right now everything is on 2 mismatched IKEA shelving units, and I'm tired of it. Time to put some effort into building a respectable display.

Purchases - I'm not expecting to have a whole ton of money to spend on hobby stuff this year, but there are a few things I'm wanting, namely a decent Kyosho Raider project and a couple of 1/24-1/25 static kits to round out my collection (an MPC Pontiac Fiero, a Monogram Chevy El Camino, and a Revell Ferrari 308). If I can swing a new kit, it will probably be a TA02 Lancia 037.

What has everyone else got cooking for the new year?

• Like 8

Probably to sell some of the parts ive accumilated this year that i dont actually need. Then no doubt spend it on more kits/resto projects.

• Like 2

My 2020 is probably this , think about doing a lot , not carrying any of that out , and doing something different that I didn't expect or had even thought about - and enjoying it heaps !!

• Like 4
  • Haha 6

7 minutes ago, KEV THE REV said:

My 2020 is probably this , think about doing a lot , not carrying any of that out , and doing something different that I didn't expect or had even thought about - and enjoying it heaps !!

There is always that swerve ball that crops up. My super astute, my vanquish and my lp500s were all unplanned purchases.

• Like 2

I have all the major Tamiya first 100 vehicles that I wanted as a kid. There are a couple I would like to have, such as a FAV or Monster Beetle, and I would LOVE to pick up two new OEM cars that I once had. 

- A gold pan RC10. Unfortunately finding a Parma Eagle body may be tough. 

- Kyosho Optima. I had one briefly and even raced it a couple of times before going into dedicated pan cars. 

• Like 1

Simple goals for me-

1. Finish the WW2

2. Finish our LB

3. Run the Blitzer on a beach

4. Sell the spare Blitzer

Buy very little RC...  maybe 1 new kit or model 😊

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, graemevw said:

There is always that swerve ball that crops up. My super astute, my vanquish and my lp500s were all unplanned purchases.

Boy you said it   ;) 

• Like 1

for me, no more buying rc cars in 2020, I spend in this month almost my budget that I have for 9 months:wacko:, so I am going to build and upgrade what I have now, and drive the cars more instead of buying and selling cars.

I hope it works:D:D

• Like 2

1 hour ago, markbt73 said:

We always seem to have a thread like this around this time of year, so I might as well start it... My list is pretty simple this year, actually. I'm keeping it that way so that maybe I can complete it.

- Finish Kyosho Ultima restoration - currently half-assembled

- Finish "Manhattan Project" Brat - needs detail paint and final assembly/wiring, and I still need to find a bottle for the "cargo"

- MF-01X-based scaler build - this will be for a build-off on Scale Builder's guild - going to be a Daihatsu Hijet 4x4 mini-truck, in 1/10 scale

- Build my newly-acquired Turbo Optima re-re, and run the snot out of it (I have an original Optima to stay nice, this one is getting used like it was meant to be)

- Set up a nice display area for vintage RC cars and NIB static kits - not sure what form this will take, but right now everything is on 2 mismatched IKEA shelving units, and I'm tired of it. Time to put some effort into building a respectable display.

Purchases - I'm not expecting to have a whole ton of money to spend on hobby stuff this year, but there are a few things I'm wanting, namely a decent Kyosho Raider project and a couple of 1/24-1/25 static kits to round out my collection (an MPC Pontiac Fiero, a Monogram Chevy El Camino, and a Revell Ferrari 308). If I can swing a new kit, it will probably be a TA02 Lancia 037.

What has everyone else got cooking for the new year?

Manhattan Project Brat sounds very very cool.  Love that movie!  You need some glitter and green shampoo!

Funny this thread pops up :)

Normally I'm a staunch member of the Anti Planning Committee because I prefer to take life as it comes but, with fleeting desires and an incredible back catalogue distractions are constant. Maybe if you folk stop being so recklessly creative and ceased making amazing projects I'd stop being inspired! I was made redundant as my old company folded in August and am only just adjusting to my new pace of life. After brief temp work in a sticking plaster factory as a machine operator I'm now back to research and development for a carbon & composites firm. Less money but a 4 day week and I get to make motor brushes and bearings etc. No time for RC during the working day :(

To stop myself from getting too bogged down I've been making lists of what I want to build and further lists of parts needed (and costs - jolly painful when you can see it totaled in black and white)

I hope 2020 will see me buy two RC cars. Blackfoot & Hotshot. However IF I manage to buy a house this year then provided it gets me out of financial oblivion (mortgage will be less than half my rent) the I'm buying a Stadium Thunder and a shelf for my then complete Falcon chassis collection.

The first project I want to finish is a Boomerang restomod. I have accumulated most of the necessary bits and could chuck together a working car in a couple of days but it wouldn't be what I imagined when I started. Big ones are chassis, ESC and body shell. Will require custom decals and a nonstandard paint job too!

I then want to move on to doing a Blackfoot. I had a Brat ORV chassis and wasn't overly enamoured and so sold it on but I think a healthy dose of Ampro Engineering and MIP (and Chinese eBay specials) I can create a rather special showpiece. 

i would also like to get my scx10 clone crawler/trail truck finished as those are ultimately the easiest to take out and run because they are walking pace and can go pretty much anywhere. That's just a case of paint and some wheels. Unfortunately that's over thirty quid right there!

There's the possibility of a local ish club running a Tamiya class so perhaps my Mock Force might see some track time if I can get over the time hurdle and the general anxiety of a social gathering! 

I can see it being a fun time for me and I wish all you good luck with your endeavours. 

• Like 3

I have two main goals -

1. Finish the the JK Jeep trail truck I am 80% through. As ever, the last 10% will be the hardest but as it is a finished body at least that won’t be paint!

2. Get two of the Dual Hunters rebuilt and prepped for beach running in the summer

I have quite a list of part-finished projects, unstarted projects, restoration projects as well as a few NIBs (like the 2CV I bought this month) but I’ll see where 2020 takes me.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, KEV THE REV said:

See, I've tried that in the past, and I find that I always do better if I have a plan for spending both time and money. Otherwise, I tend to waste too much of both.

6 hours ago, 78Triumph said:

Manhattan Project Brat sounds very very cool.  Love that movie!  You need some glitter and green shampoo!

There's a build thread, if you haven't seen it...

• Like 2

I'd like to give my original "proper" RC, my Traxxas Bandit, a proper restore/refresh for it's 8th birthday next year (yes, I'm a more recent entrant to this hobby). I have some parts put aside, but unfortunately our weak Australian dollar has put it on the back-burner for a while... there's no urgency as the car is currently running beautifully, and any refresh would be purely superficial.

I'm heading overseas a couple of times next year, so I plan on driving (and photographing) my HPI Q32 in at least one more country than I currently have (so far Australia, Singapore and Japan).

Otherwise I don't have any specific vehicles on my wish-list, at least not until Tamiya or Traxxas announce something new and exciting!

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, markbt73 said:

I find that I always do better if I have a plan for spending both time and money. Otherwise, I tend to waste too much of both.

I was nodding in full agreement when I read "...think about doing a lot , not carrying any of that out , and doing something different that I didn't expect... - and enjoying it heaps !!" part, and then I realized that I've also spent too much.  

hmm... spending is easily done with a click.  But building and running is the hobby.  I've been confusing the two. Nothing's wrong with getting what I like. But I'm running out of room, unfinished projects are increasing.  I guess that's the point of this thread: examining the state of things.  

So... now I've done a 180.  Perhaps I should plan. 

I've been getting a used chassis every 6 weeks or so.  I'll stop that for a while.  Of course, if I can find a Dynahead for $80, I'll immediately make an exception.  I'll try to complete 3 projects.  Any project will do; as long as I can cross it off the list.  

For 3 months, 3 projects, without adding to the fleet.  Sounds like a plan.  

• Like 2

My plan is simply to get all my cars up and running.  I've been sorely tempted by a couple of cars the past couple of months, and there's a new Top Force going cheap I could buy right now, but I'm managing to hold off from any purchases.

I wanted to get some bodies and have them painted over summer but the cost adds up quickly.  I had an idea of doing a Clod body for the CR01.

The possibility that Tamiya are re-releasing the DN01 Zahhak next year means I'll probably get one, but being released at the end of summer down here means it will be an end of 2020 purchase.

I want an M08 but I'm in no hurry.

Other than a buggy, all I really need is a big wheel truck.  A WT01 of some kind will be the most likely.  There's always hope a WT02 is in the pipeline.

• Like 1

My plan is pretty simple - try to make getting round the local RC track without crashing a repeatable occurrence :)

• Like 4

Continue my search for Tamiya Aluminium front arms for my TB01 Shelf Queen. Hopefully get my Ultimate TB01 Build completed and on display after it been around a track. After that I've got nothing planned. I'd like to get out more with running my cars so I may invest in a LiPo or 2 to run in my Levant as much as I love NiMH the truck runs a lot better with LiPo power.

1 hour ago, Blista said:

My plan is simply to get all my cars up and running.  I've been sorely tempted by a couple of cars the past couple of months, and there's a new Top Force going cheap I could buy right now, but I'm managing to hold off from any purchases.

I wanted to get some bodies and have them painted over summer but the cost adds up quickly.  I had an idea of doing a Clod body for the CR01.

The possibility that Tamiya are re-releasing the DN01 Zahhak next year means I'll probably get one, but being released at the end of summer down here means it will be an end of 2020 purchase.

I want an M08 but I'm in no hurry.

Other than a buggy, all I really need is a big wheel truck.  A WT01 of some kind will be the most likely.  There's always hope a WT02 is in the pipeline.

Is that the Top Force on trademe? I would grab it if you want one, its a bargain. They are a great allrounder, I can say that now that I have run one for 5mins!

For me in 2020 i would like to run the onroad cars a bit more. I would also like a new 2wd buggy and to finish more race days (shouldn't be hard now that I have a D418) and to get a Super Astute. The last will be the hardest for me

• Like 2

I've squirreled away 8 RC10s now plus a JRX-Pro that I can leisurely work through restoring. Most need body and paint work. Speaking of which, I hope to push myself to finish off the bodywork that will complete my collection. I hate doing it but my Hot Shot 2, Super Sabre, Super G, Clod Buster, Bruiser, Madcap, Blackfoot, Midnight Pumpkin, USA-1, Big Boss and Bennett Mod Clod all need it (not to mention my Ultima re-re). Fortunately, Tamiya re-releases have slowed. Also, aside from maybe a Falcon or Thundershot chassis buggy, there is nothing left in the Tamiya first 100 I want. This is good news for me as these are a distraction from getting down to business and finishing off the collection.

I also hope to sell off some extra stuff. Of the 6 vehicles I have up for sale, I've sold 1 in six months, so I'm not particularly hopeful. Patience is the key. 

13 hours ago, Hobgoblin said:

There's the possibility of a local ish club running a Tamiya class so perhaps my Mock Force might see some track time if I can get over the time hurdle and the general anxiety of a social gathering! 

I've been pondering this myself. I think at my age, I'll just stay secluded. My introversion and anxiety in social situations is too great to overcome. I want to do it, but my lack of time and desire for peace and quiet are greater. I hope you get out to a track though @Hobgoblin:).

• Like 3

2019 was an interesting year as it was the one that got me back into the hobby after a long break. I think the last car I'd bought was an original Brat. However I have embraced the hobby with gusto and now have, CC01,  FAV Bug (Blitzer), DynaMog (Dynahead), Stadium Thunder, Wild One, Sandshaker, Rally Beetle and Asterion built, along with a Porsche Cayenne under the bed:ph34r:. So what does 2020 have instore. I want to see what bodies come out for CC-02 before a buy one, not entirely happy with the G500. I also want one flat surface car, so am looking at a Mustang TT-02, even better if I could get a 66 body that fitted. I am gradually adding brushless motors to current models as well. I dont think Lipos will happen this year though the Mustang might be worth getting one for. Also want a Blackfoot and a Madbull but maybe a bit later in the year!!!!

16 minutes ago, Saito2 said:

I think at my age, I'll just stay secluded. My introversion and anxiety in social situations is too great to overcome. I want to do it, but my lack of time and desire for peace and quiet are greater. I hope you get out to a track though @Hobgoblin:).

110%, though it would be nice to get together with some other members for informal bashing/trailing. Managed once in 2019 with @Jonnythefox87

Would be good to do more 2020.

• Like 4

Funny this one always crops up - and if we’re honest almost all of every post usually bears no resemblance to what actually happens 😂

Anyway, 30th Anniversary and Black GT01 934s are top of my list next year - both NIB with period hop ups and r/c to build 

And if that’s doesn’t completely clear me out I’m thinking about seeing if vintage Tamtech are really better than toys with a 962 and 961 🤔

• Haha 2

My 2020 plans are as follows and doesn’t include any impulsive buys!

- further upgrade my LB and put a herbie shell on it.... to become my ‘Lunchbug’🤣

-To get my newly acquired stadium thunder up and running, probably with a brushless setup

- to buy the kit I always dreamt of having as a kid and never got the chance to own... the monster beetle 😍 Warts and all, I’ll install the MIP ball diff when i build it

- definitely meet up with some other people on here, I’m sure @Busdriver and some others can arrange something in the new year . @Busdriver let me know how you get on sourcing the ‘Herbie’ colour for your project

Merry Christmas and a happy new year. everyone 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Jonnythefox87 said:

let me know how you get on sourcing the ‘Herbie’ colour for your project

Badly. ended up with just white, but may do some weathereing to tone it down

14 hours ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

Is that the Top Force on trademe? I would grab it if you want one, its a bargain. They are a great allrounder, I can say that now that I have run one for 5mins!

For me in 2020 i would like to run the onroad cars a bit more. I would also like a new 2wd buggy and to finish more race days (shouldn't be hard now that I have a D418) and to get a Super Astute. The last will be the hardest for me

Yeah, it's a really good deal and I've been hoping someone else would buy it so I wouldn't have to.  I like the Top Force and it'd be good for vintage racing but the Super Astute keeps calling to me.  Childhood nostalgia trying to override practicality.

• Like 1