markbt73

Plans and goals for 2020

On 12/20/2019 at 6:53 AM, markbt73 said:

and a couple of 1/24-1/25 static kits to round out my collection (an MPC Pontiac Fiero, a Monogram Chevy El Camino, and a Revell Ferrari 308). 

Not inclined to build one of AMT/ERTL's C1500s? Although your 1:1 is a W/T, correct?

Mine list is simple, finish the 4 crawlers I have in work then finish the 5 or 6 partial restorations I have sitting on the shelf.  After that I want to take a close look at what's on the shelves and let go of the cars that just do not get me excited anymore. 

My RC New Year's resolution is to simply use them more on the track. I have a few that I would like to add to my fleet, such as the M-08 and CC-02, but whether this happens over the coming year or not remains to be seen. I am however determined to make my way to Force Raceway, and and attend as many Robin Hood Raceway meets as my work schedule allows.

• Like 2

Build a dedicated hobby area in the spare room.

I would like to finally decide on a paint job for the Monster Beetle, but after really liking the look of my Brat body on its chassis I'm thinking of using it for a 'Street Scorcher' or 'Drifter Scorcher' project instead that I've wanted to do for ages. But I'm not sure what chassis to use for a base? Possibly an M-08? Any advise with that would be most welcome.

A 1/14 Truck would be nice.

Then I will probably delete the eBay app from my phone and block myself from my PayPal account so I pay off my mortgage freeing up some cash to get back on track with a proper Tamiya/Kyosho collection.

• Like 1

Now my RC room is set up, I'd like to display some cars.

Finish some projects, start some others.

And get back into racing again.

I hadn't really thought about this.  In 2017, despite the birth of my daughter in February, I got a fair amount done.  I went to the Iconic Revival, the first round of the Iconic Cup, and a few truck meets.  I still had time to work on some projects in my workshop.

In 2018 I didn't slow down at all.  Despite changing jobs, I still managed to build a rig and a trailer, make some good custom projects and do some events.

2019 things slowed right down.  I don't really know why.  I've managed to get to one event every month, but often it's been a few hours at a local meet.  I'd much rather a whole weekend at a big event, but my wife returned to the caving hobby early this year, so it's been harder to work my events in around hers.  I've had to compromise a lot more this year.

For some reason I've been really tired, too.  I haven't had the energy to get up early to work on my fiction, and with my new job I haven't been able to do that at lunch, so I've been doing that in the evenings.  And thanks to having to share a studio space with my wife due to some home changes, I don't get to write in the evenings as much as I want.  That means when I got some spare time I tended to do writing instead of RC projects.  So things have really stagnated.  I get a little bit done here and there but between tiredness and lack of time, I find it hard to motivate to do anything complex.  If I only get a couple of spare hours in an evening, I can lose it easily in a motor change and feel like I've wasted what little time I had.

2020's plan has got to be "get more motivated."

The wife and I are (against my better judgement) planning for another baby in 2020.  I had thought that the first part of 2020 would be wiped out by late-pregnancy support and the second part by a new member of the family, but as with any project, it keeps getting delayed and put off and thus far we don't even have the NIB on the shelf.  So (if my maths is correct) I should have the entire of the summer of 2020 to fill with RC events.

So - I'd like to do more of the Iconic Cup.  A slight rule change means I might drop down to Stock class where I may be more competitive and will probably have more fun.  I always thought I was a buggy racer at heart, but vintage touring car racing on tarmac is serious good fun.  Most of the events are a long way from me but I can offset my mileage costs against work journeys to claw back some cash.  It just depends on the events not clashing with my wife's caving weekends.

I have decided (literally just now) that I am doing a Tamiya Junkies meet for my birthday weekend in Feb.  So I will probably spend most of my spare time and cash in Feb getting all my bashers ready to play.  I was planning to rebuild my old Wild Dagger over Christmas but I dug out all the parts last week and found so much missing or broken or badly worn it was cheaper to buy a new kit than to fix my old one.  So a second-hand NIB is on its way to me for a good price.  Might arrive today.  (Won't be able to even open it up until at least Sunday evening, though...)

Do more drifting.  The club is 90 minutes drive away but with some careful planning of my work schedule I can cover some of my mileage costs, which takes the sting out of owning a 25mpg vehicle.  I need to up my game both on the track and in the workshop - my car looks like a jelly mould compared to the others and I can barely complete a lap without crashing into the barrier.  I'd love to be able to follow a train.  I need to overcome my social anxiety and find a mentor to help me improve.

Rebuild my big rigs.  I've always felt a bit out of place at the rig meets as there are so many very fine and impressive lorries on the layout and mine are just a bit, well, meh.  I'm converting my Globe Liner to a Beier SFR-1 system at the moment which gives me the option for more stuff.  Using a cheap FlySky radio, I've managed to work out a setup for operating lights, indicators, reversing gear etc. that is intuitive and simple.  If I can save enough money next year I'll buy some more Beier systems to convert my other rigs.  Got a few NIBs to build, a rigid tipper to make, and several trailers that need some work.  Would love some more trailers but doubt I'll have the budget in 2020.

Otherwise I've got a billion other unfinished projects.  I cut the grille out of my SCX10 G6 Jeep a month ago to fit a 3D printed grille but I still haven't found the mental energy to print the long rear bracket. 10+ hour print time and the risk it will sag, distort or break.  I really just need to get on and do it.  It's not like I have to sit and watch it print for 10 hours (although I do, just like when my log fire stops being a heating solution and starts being a productivity killer).

Oh, yeah, the log fire.  The only thing that can keep my workshop habitable during winter.  All of my wood store is wet and rotten, so I bought some logs from B&Q two days ago.  Yeh, I guess they were stored outside too - wet and rotting.  Couldn't get the fire to go yesterday, which was my one spare RC day off work this year as I used up some holiday allowance, so I spent the day huddled under a halogen workshop lamp.  The back of my head is now burnt.

Time.  That's what I need more of.  I can exchange time for money but there doesn't seem to be a bank that will exchange money for time...

• Like 4

Looking back at a similar thread from 2015, I've still 4 out of the 7 projects to finish.....😬

OB2, finish

Dark Impact - speed run road version with willys body (not df03ra)

Schumacher fusion freshen up plus ,TransAm body

Vac former.

Projects added to the list -

Lunchbox double wishbone and 4 bar mod

Bullhead , V8 engine with 3rd channel lights and sound (don't think the, rumbling will happen tbh)

Boomerang brushless 4s build and speed run.

Do more rounds of SORC - Scottish Off Road Championship , 

Have more fun😁

2 hours ago, Mad Ax said:

I have decided (literally just now) that I am doing a Tamiya Junkies meet for my birthday weekend in Feb

A visit down to a meet is on my wishlist,  although it was last year too! (Celebrated new year, looked at my watch and it was holiday season, then some bits and bobs, and the Christmas again!?!?!)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, berman said:

Not inclined to build one of AMT/ERTL's C1500s? Although your 1:1 is a W/T, correct?

I have the SS 454 version NIB. It will get built someday. Though thinking about it, it might be fun to get one of the long-bed kits and put it on that new Axial 1/24 crawler chassis, and paint it the right shade of green...

I'm not big on AMT kits in general for collecting. I prefer the Fundimensions-era MPC kits Just like folks on here geek out over box art on the Tamiya RC kits, I really love MPC's box art from the early-mid '80s.

• Like 1

My plan next year is to just add two more kits. Eitther a TB-04R or a TA-07R and a Super Astute or Top Force which I plan on upgrading it to my own version.

56 minutes ago, markbt73 said:

I have the SS 454 version NIB. It will get built someday. Though thinking about it, it might be fun to get one of the long-bed kits and put it on that new Axial 1/24 crawler chassis, and paint it the right shade of green...

I'm not big on AMT kits in general for collecting. I prefer the Fundimensions-era MPC kits Just like folks on here geek out over box art on the Tamiya RC kits, I really love MPC's box art from the early-mid '80s.

I hear ya, that was the only maker I could find doing the GMT400s. Yeah I had seen the 454ss, and they do a extended cab but it's long bed (and my 1:1 is short) so would need cutting down.

Same as Jconcepts do a few versions in 1:10, but again long bed and I don't fancy slicing down lexan/polycarbonate.

Probably not going to buy many if indeed any rc kits in 2020 just concentrating on the one's I have..........but then again i think i said that last year:rolleyes: if the optima mid makes an appearance the previous statement becomes null and void!......oh and also the Porsche 959 hmmmmm so really 2020 is just going to be like every past year! 

• Like 1

I'll be renting and paying a mortgage next year as we rebuild our house, so that's going to cut into funds quite a lot :huh: However I need to focus more on projects I have started, so that will be a good thing, space in the rental permitting.

I've just started Audi A4 STW, as a new build TT01E kit with an excessive amount of hop-ups and a restore of the TA03F version to go along with it and will probably end up being my only build for the year. This build will lead me into more vac forming and 3D printing though, which I need to do anyway so I can finish some promised projects.

I also need to finalise the RC cars stand design that I have been doing in acrylic and offer for sale to anyone who is interested. It's almost done, so that should end up being later in the week once Christmas is dealt with, and I awake from my food coma that I will try to avoid, but inevitably get :rolleyes:

My other main project for sometime in the new year is to build cnc plasma cutter for work. I was planning on buying one, but don't have the $30k spare at the moment :blink: . They are actually quite simple, so I can build the same one for around $6000AUD that will do what I need. Since it would help immensely with some of my movie prop making, it'll be a must do on my list.

Non rc wise, I want to get fitter next year. I have been doing more exercise this year and the plan is to just steadily increase that. I hit the big 50 next year and fitness is one thing I think it important to keep on top off.

• Like 2

To not buy any more RC cars for a while.

Probably got a better chance of getting a massage with a happy ending from the Pope than that happening, but a man can only try.

• Haha 3

On 12/21/2019 at 3:15 AM, Mad Ax said:

For some reason I've been really tired, too

Whenever I hear that, I'd say "go see your doctor for a check up."  

Most of us are over 40.  The way I see it, we face two challenges in our lifetime.  One at around 40-45.  This is the time our bodies go through changes.  Women go through menopause.  They lose some estrogen and become more "manly."  Man lose testosterone and become gentler.  At this time of change, some people fall ill.  The other change is at around 60-70.  If we don't pay attention, we "choose" to become forgetful. (Brain is just like any other muscle. You don't use it, you lose it --there is less chance of Alzheimer for chess players, avid readers, writers, etc.)  

My brother-in-law is 5 years younger than me.  1 of his friends died of cancer at around 40, leaving his wife and child.  One other is rehabilitating from a severe stroke, which happened after losing a lot of weight.  God forbid something like should happen to a TC member.  Still, it's better to know that you don't have any such problems.  If by any chance there is a problem, early detection can help a lot.   

• Like 5

Having just come back into the hobby after a really long break I want to build a dedicated hobby area.  We have an extension in the house and my son uses the main room in the extension as a gaming room.  I would like to set up a corner or something so I have a space to build and also display the cars.  Am looking at items from ikea such as billy bookcases and / or perhaps some units with a kitchen style top.  

I also have some kits to build - CC01 VW Toureag and a holiday buggy (I also have a Kyosho Optima and Sand Scorcher to build but will probably focus on the Toureag and holiday buggy first).  

I probably also need to have a good look through all of my existing stuff - I’ve got several batteries, which haven’t been used for years so I am guessing they will need to be disposed of? And if I have anything that I won’t need they can go on eBay to fund some additional purchases. 

Hopefully 2020 will be a much busier year for me where RC is concerned.  

• Like 1

I'd like to get some track time, but for some reason I can't gel with the people at the local outdoor track (and I'm not sure outdoor driving is my 'thing'. I much prefer indoor). There's an amazing indoor track about two hours away, but they're closing in April due to losing their space, and I'm not sure if they're reopening in another location. So track time currently is a bit limited. Which sucks because all of my cars are 100% ready to go.

Projects:
- I'd like to upgrade the TRF419 to the TRF420 suspension setup. The stronger C-hubs ought to pay for themselves after a few sessions. But, it's my indoor car and there just isn't much indoor running anymore. 
- I'd like to finish the trailer for the Pajero. 
- Run the Clod on the beach. That thing is hilarious good fun on the sands. 
- Do another endurance race with the TT01. Last year's one was great fun!

And then there's real life. My job is teetering on the edge of bankruptcy, more so than usual. This takes up a lot of energy and late nights just to keep the **** company going. 
Then there's the issue of me not being able to decide what kind of motorcycle I'd like to buy for myself. (I know, first world problems!). My wife bought a Honda CBF500 a few years ago, but doesn't like riding it all that much and bought a 250cc scooter, so the Honda ha sorta fallen into my lap. Except it's been lowered for her and so every time I ride it my boots wear down, which gets really old really fast. I'd like to get my own bike, but I just don't know what. I'm drawn to the allroad-look and seating position, but I love the raw utility of her 250cc scooter for doing shopping around town. And an allroad with a bunch of cases on it looks dorky. 
Also, I'm working on publishing a book, and that takes a surprisingly large amount of time and patience. (more so the latter). In 2020 I'd like to get my book out there and on book shelves, maybe make a bit of cash off of it. 

• Like 4

Figure out a way of unobtrusively storing my Xmaxx.....
(there could possibly be a bit of buyers regret here)

4 hours ago, Pablo68 said:

Paint in in a camo pattern?

• Haha 4

4 hours ago, Pablo68 said:

disguise it as an ATV or large dog?

• Haha 2

My only plans next year is simple. Get a classic buggy for bashing and occasional racing maybe. Either a Kyosho Ultima, Tamiya Super Astute (and modify it even more), a Top Force (modify it heavily too) or my dream buggy from the 80s that I never had which is the Wild One.

Also get back to flying my helis again and practice more especially with my 450.

7V8JAgth.jpg

• Like 4

On 12/19/2019 at 6:23 PM, Grumpy pants said:

Simple goals for me-

1. Finish the WW2

2. Finish our LB

3. Run the Blitzer on a beach

4. Sell the spare Blitzer

Buy very little RC...  maybe 1 new kit or model 😊

Item 4 on the list is completed. 

Currently fiddle faffing when I can with item 1 👍

Finish and detail all the buggies I have and see if I can find that one buggy I want to fill the last gap in my display cabinet.

First and foremost I hope to get the Primal 1/5 Raminator Monster truck by the spring.  That thing is gonig to be some serious fun.  Other than that I have a few more Clod based trucks I'm planning on building, some new cralwer ideas, and have lately been warming up to the idea of some box stock Tamiya vehicles.  I was never really a stock RC kind of guy, but restored a Bullhead lately and for some reason made me really happy just to see it and drive it the way it was meant to be.  I still love custom builds, but there is something to the way Tamiya originally intended them that has been catching my attention lately.  Already started an original Chevy Clod build since I have so many parts around, and planning on a re-re Blackfoot and possible an Avante.  Seeing a member's recent build thread made me want one of these bad.

Of course keep lurking around local sale sites for good deals, you never know what you'll come across that someone doesn't want anymore...I buy way too much, but I think a lot of us have this problem.