lsear2905

Does anyone take their RCs on holidays?

I didn't want to hijack another thread, but realised that one of my "plans" for 2020 was taking my favourite travel RC, the HPI Q32, overseas a couple of times.

I've taken my larger Tamiya CC01 and Traxxas Stampede on a road trip interstate, and my DJI Spark has travelled with me on a plane to Queensland, but I'm talking internationally.

I recommend the HPI Q32, as it's very small, doesn't break any draconian drone laws, and doesn't require LiPo safe bags. It recharges from the transmitter powered by 4 x AA batteries.

Has anyone got any other "travel companions" they would recommend?

Q32, out and about.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I've taken my 1/32 monster truck may places with me. Can't remember the make of it. 4x AS batteries that charges by plugging it into the controller. Loads of fun to zip around a hotel room or tent

• Like 1

@lsear2905 Is that beach in Japan also ?

I've taken my Jeep to a vacation spot many years ago. Now I'm planning to take my Kyosho Surfer to Filipines. Every time I go to a beautiful vacation spot I regret not bringing RC with me.

img27740_17102014223000_1_1100_.jpg

• Like 2

We've taken a beach trip to the NC Outer Banks every summer for the last few years...

The Bushy D has come with me every time.  I end up driving more than swimming...

Terry

5 hours ago, topforcein said:

what's a holiday:huh:

In the States a holiday (religious or not) is a day off work. I've had these, but have make up for them by working the next Saturday instead (which doesn't really make it a holiday at all <_<) In British parlance it means vacation. Its been 5 years since I've had a day off work, so again that eludes me ;).

I do take the family on day trips to the beach on the weekend. But regardless of where I went, I always took the Lunch Box. Its simplistic and bulletproof so the fear of being sidelined away from home due to parts failure is low. If I'm hiking/Mountain Biking, I take a Hot Shot/Super Shot. There caged upper bodies and low overall height make them suited to popping in a backpack if need be for easy transport. The 4WD helps them get over some more rugged terrain that would hang up a Hornet or Frog. 

• Like 3

If I see some field that's suitable for RC, I do think, "this is a good spot for RC!" 

Mechanical things showing up on X-ray machines can delay things.  And I don't want the LiPo to smoke up the cargo area and divert the flight. That would be awkward. (AA batteries won't be a problem, but I'd want something bigger)  But if I see a sun-faded Tamiya kit on a window of an obscure hobby shop, I might buy it and bring it back.  

• Like 2

My wife and I have taken Gonzo and Flipper, our Rising Fighter and Mad Bull, on quite a few domestic road trips, but when travelling internationally we like to travel light so they stay home. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Blissard said:

@lsear2905 Is that beach in Japan also ?

No, the beach is Gold Coast (Queensland, Australia), then on the F1 track in Singapore, then Mt Fuji (Japan). I took it to Queensland first to make sure I didn't have any trouble taking it on a plane.

I will typically take my lunchbox and axial bomber by car, but typically only take my Associated SC28 on a plane. 

• Like 1

I am working through this Xmas, more out of necessity than option.

Here is one from back in the day. It never occurred to me to take my HPI Q32 anywhere on holiday to honest.

eMxCk4I.jpg

• Like 6

Is it still a "holiday" when the main point of the travelling is RC'ing? :) Assuming one is not getting paid/day job involves RC'ing, I guess it does.

Have travelled interstate & internationally for racing said toys. Yeah it gets pretty involved trying to pack everything you'd need... then when you get there meet up with other pro/factory teams that have brought their entire workshops plus crew along... real eye opener.

Have packed a drifter when headed to SG to try meet up with the locals there. Kept it oldskool - took a TA03F with NiMH so I could just check everything into luggage.

Travelling with an HPI Savage was a PITA size wise, wouldn't even think of trying to hide a Baja 5B in the car boot (won't fit). But otherwise a CC01 or WR02 often gets stashed along in an unmarked holdall, just in case I get bored with the new scenery.

Usually don't bother bring spares or extra tyres - if anything breaks it stays broken. Pack a small ziplock with vital tools though... cross wrench, 1.5/2.0/2.5 allens, stubby #2. And a bunch of zipties :D 

I’ve taken drones etc on airplanes 

not sure if I should have or not 

I used to take a boot full of cars on domestic holidays 

JJ

19 hours ago, Saito2 said:

In the States a holiday (religious or not) is a day off work. I've had these, but have make up for them by working the next Saturday instead (which doesn't really make it a holiday at all <_<) In British parlance it means vacation. Its been 5 years since I've had a day off work, so again that eludes me ;).

I do take the family on day trips to the beach on the weekend. But regardless of where I went, I always took the Lunch Box. Its simplistic and bulletproof so the fear of being sidelined away from home due to parts failure is low. If I'm hiking/Mountain Biking, I take a Hot Shot/Super Shot. There caged upper bodies and low overall height make them suited to popping in a backpack if need be for easy transport. The 4WD helps them get over some more rugged terrain that would hang up a Hornet or Frog. 

i meant it in a sence of the last holiday i had was back in the early 80's.

i'm still waiting to have a honnymoon even though my wedding was back in 1994:huh:

me and my mate did have a day out at dawlish around 1991 and i took my hornet with me but when i came to use it on the beech i somehow managed to forget to bring the battery:lol: i was preety mifed 

7 minutes ago, topforcein said:

i meant it in a sence of the last holiday i had was back in the early 80's.

i'm still waiting to have a honnymoon even though my wedding was back in 1994:huh:

Aye, we're in same boat then. I'm still waiting for my honeymoon as well :lol:.  I apologize. I have habit of taking things too literally sometimes.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Saito2 said:

Aye, we're in same boat then. I'm still waiting for my honeymoon as well :lol:.  I apologize. I have habit of taking things too literally sometimes.

hey absolutly no need for an apology sir as you was not to know until i explained my self properly

• Like 1

For years I have not bin on a holiday or vacation I have no money for it, because I spend all my money on rc cars and stuff:D

btw are you all fellas loners when it comes to RC?

Like, you RC alone when on hols?

My best man is into RCs too and when younger pre-Kids we've gone holidaying together, both bringing RCs... :) 

After kids, we'd still get together at kid-friendly park & run RCs. Sometimes it's just me bringing RCs but no worries, happy to bring enough to share.

These days after kids we've all tried introducing kids to RC... looked hopeful at one stage a few years back but sadly no one's managed to breed any RC-obsessed kid so far. 

I will always bring some sort of RC with me on trips. It all depends on where we are going at the time, some times a street car, or 2wd buggy. At a minimum if luggage space is tight, there is always room for a mini-Z.

• Like 1

Yep, full fleet of family bashers when we take caravan away.

Also take them on days out as it is a great way to encourage kids to get out when its not the warmest outside.

Brought the Brat & Blitzer on a New Year break at 1770/ Agnes Water QLD Australia. It could be worse I suppose 😁

F50304E8-4C3F-459C-A789-AC4C7AC217DC.jpg

• Like 4

19 hours ago, Re-Bugged said:

Brought the Brat & Blitzer on a New Year break at 1770/ Agnes Water QLD Australia. It could be worse I suppose 😁

Very nice... I'm waiting on my DT02 to arrive so I can have a specific "beach" car. What's your after run procedure?

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, lsear2905 said:

Very nice... I'm waiting on my DT02 to arrive so I can have a specific "beach" car. What's your after run procedure?

Not much really, I give metal parts such as screws etc a little squirt of WD40 or similar before hand then try and run on dry sand as much as possible (but not always!!), then finish a run on some longish grass, that cleans most sand off.

Then let the car sit for a bit to let any stuck on wet sand dry out before wiping whats left off with a soft long bristled 2''' paint brush. If things get really clogged up I remove the wheels prior to the wipe down with the brush. 

An air line is really good at blowing sand and dust out to if you have access to one. Just take care around your electrics.