Ashley6626

Vintage Tamiya Lamborghini Cheetah Restoration

Hi all, I recently purchased a original Tamiya cheetah project from eBay. I mainly restore srb but have done a few other models. I had my eye on and cheetah for a while and fell in love with it on eBay. Long story short I won and it’s not too bad, good condition with intact torsion Rods, came with box, Manual, nib battery, and some spares. It’s been sitting on the shelf for a few months and I finally got round to starting it today. This is an ongoing build so I will add to the thread as I do bits to it. I plan to finish it before Christmas, however we all know what it’s like with projects, lol.

I’ve attached pictures of it originallly and will add another message with what I have done.

I’m not sure if anyone is interested in the thread but thought I’d share it anyway. Any advice or if anyone has any parts for sale please let me know as I need some bits.

Many Thanks,

Ash

ceetah1.png

cCHEETAH2.png

CHEETAH3.png

CHEETAH4.png

• Like 3

To start with I wanted to try to remove the gloss paint from the body shell as I wanted it back to the plastic underneath. I tied a few things on one of the smaller body accessories, some things messed the plastic up however I found that nail polish remover took the gloss off nicely without affecting the plastic underneath. I filled a shallow tub with remover and left it to soak on each side for 20 minutes and then agitated. Here is what it looked like before I started and one of the sides I have started on. I removed the body accessories prior to this as some I had others to replace them with and some were in the wrong place.

CHEETAHRESTORE1.jpeg

CHEETHRETORE2.jpeg

CHEETHRESTORE3.png

Hi there everyone, i have made some progress with the chassis. i ran out of nail polish remover for the bodyshell so will have to get some more tomorrow.
in the mean time i resprayed the bumper mount, tidied up and got all the electronics working after being dormant for many years, only to find one wheel doesnt spin. so i disassembled the geardox and found a grub screw was missing. one grub screw later and some assembly and the car was driving like a champ in my living room. i then adjusted the torsion bars to counter the weight better and put the rest back together.

IMG_02721.jpg

IMG_02731.jpg

IMG_02741.jpg

IMG_02751.jpg

• Like 3

On 12/21/2019 at 12:59 AM, WillyChang said:

Very nice!

Thank you, i intend to update the thread once ive got some more remover and gotten the grey paint off of the bodyshell.

4 hours ago, Ashley6626 said:

Thank you, i intend to update the thread once ive got some more remover and gotten the grey paint off of the bodyshell.

What do you think it is? Looks like blackboard paint from your pics :)

ABS hardbody can be stripped with EzyOff caustic oven cleaner spray. Spray it on, seal it up in a plastic bag or crate to keep it moist, leave it overnight or a few days and most paint will crinkle off leaving ABS pristine. 

On 12/22/2019 at 11:51 PM, GTodd said:

What a unique chassis!!! Very nice!

Thank you 😃

Hi everyone. Merry Christmas and all that... 
I’ve made a bit more progress on the bodyshell yesterday and this morning. I sprayed nail polish remover on it, sealed in a bag and left overnight. Then agitated with a cloth this morning. This is the result, just the rear bed to do now as it needs to soak for longer as it has thicker paint.

Thanks,
Ash

10D6E98A-5C9D-40A7-8DBB-09BCF0173FD1.jpeg

C55D5E56-B2C2-4581-B165-4B92749F2A8B.jpeg

On 12/23/2019 at 1:31 AM, WillyChang said:

What do you think it is? Looks like blackboard paint from your pics :)

ABS hardbody can be stripped with EzyOff caustic oven cleaner spray. Spray it on, seal it up in a plastic bag or crate to keep it moist, leave it overnight or a few days and most paint will crinkle off leaving ABS pristine. 

Thank you, I went to buy some however they were out of stock. Instead i sprayed nail polish remover on it, sealed in a bag and left overnight. Then agitated with a cloth this morning. This is the result, just the rear bed to do now as it needs to soak for longer as it has thicker paint. I’ve updated the build thread showing progress 

Thanks,
Ash