Sign in to follow this  
Ian2019

New joiner ... Lego question

Hi 

I'm a new joiner, I'd like to get the kids enjoying RC so after a looong absence I've come back and thankfully I can afford Tamiya now.  When I was young Tamiya was just the dream.

I've built my 6yr old a plasma edge 2 (oh boy I made a meal of the build..) and I don't have much hope for the longevity of the body shell.  It feels like I could mount a light Lego chassis onto the two body mount poles, and he could put a basic Lego build on it, then bashing it to bits to his heart's content.

Sorry if it's heresy to this site but is mixing RC and Lego a thing?

Thanks for any replies

Ian

Quick question

Sounds like a great idea 

scalextric have a system to mix so don’t see why not

not sure how I’d make it to survive even just a few bumps 

Would have to be Technics I think 

JJ

Look up Lego Tamiya on YouTube, there are some amazing Tamiya replicas made out of Lego. 

Lego hotshot springs to mind.

Or Lego lunchbox.

• Like 1

I wouldn't. My thought is that a lexan shell may get a bit tatty, but still 'works' after it has been ground against the pavement at high speed. Some of my shells have been cartwheeled and slid upside down at 80kmh+ multiple times, crashed head on into a kerb at 50kmh+ and besides a few tape repairs and some unsightly scrapes are still usable.

Lego not so much - once the studs (or pin holes for technic) get jacked up it doesn't function how it is intended to anymore. Once he gets bored of RC or graduates from lego bodies, he will be disappointed that his lego is now worse for wear and can't build other things properly out of it. If you had some lego dedicated to building RC bodies I guess that would work and adds something else interesting to do with RCs, but it sounds like a more expensive endeavour to me than just replacing the lexan shell if it eventually becomes unserviceable.

The main body shell on a Plasma edge should last for ages anyway. The spoiler not so much. You can just remove the lexan spoiler, or retrofit a solid plastic spoiler (e.g. from a Traxxas, or many other generic ones on ebay).

Lego is heavy, expensive & ain't gunna replace lexan anytime soon :) 

Plenty of RC Lego vehicles exist already... my fave is still the 9398 Crawler. It's a fantastic design, interesting build and actually fun to drive once built.

Later big RC Technics models that came after 9398 have yet to be a better overall model on all those fronts. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies.  I’ll wait and see how the car goes down (it’s painted and stickered as Batman).  

i’d forgotten how addictive the RC world was with upgrades and body shells, fingers crossed the kids give me an excuse to take this up properly!

If you want to extend the life of the Lexan shell, have a look at using cricket bat repair tape on the inside near the edges and by body post holes.

Or some people use ‘dry wall’ tape combined with a substance called shoo goo.

I think wings are seen as ‘disposable’ items!

Or if you're really chee...err Thrifty :P one used to cut half a 2L PET soda bottle and mount it on your RC.

Or for something more angular, build something out of corrugated cardboard or coroplast. If you can nab some Coro sign/placards from your next greenie protest they're great modelling material.

(how much WASTE do those enviro protests generate, honestly... every time in our city there's a huge cleanup afterwards and there's trucks full of detritus needing to be cleared - all going to landfill, as our recycling efforts have died following China not buying anymore.)

6 hours ago, SuperChamp82 said:

Do US guys remember Meccano ? 

Meccano is still around! :) 

just not as strong in marketing/luck as the Billund boffins

Theres a decent enthusiast following here in Melbourne, they hold shows every so often. Impressive collections of classic models & personal creations.

Modern Meccano is in the toy shops still today, they've gone plastic :unsure: wondering if they still sell the stell kit. In recent years also saw some RC Meccano... radio controlled "base" chassis then you build your own body on top. 

• Like 1