junkmunki

Onroad or offroad?

While posting on another thread, it occurred to me that a large part of my collection is made up of vintage on road models, such as F1 cars and endurance cars like the Porcshe 956.

I was wondering what the ratio of collectors and enthusiasts on this site was in relation to this. Do you dabble in both, or does it have to be one or the other for you?

When you discount the other RC models that Tamiya have produced, such as gliders, boats and trucks etc, it really comes down to road racing or offroad buggies.

J

Off road for me. I had a TB-01 for a while but found it boring. I can take my buggies and monster trucks on or off road, so I can run them anywhere. Just my preference.

for me off road, most of the time I run on the beach, its a 10 minutes drive from my home and the place with a wide open space so less things to run in to.

I had some on road cars 2 tt-01 and a xv-01 and I like to run onroad  sometimes but I getting sick and tired from eating tires on touring cars, with powerfull brushless motors every 2-3 battery packs the tires where completely gone, so I sold them all, and I get bored pretty quick with on road cars.

I had a serpent sct set up for onroad that car had a much beter tires wear because there is much more meat on the tires then touring car tires, but in the end it spend more time on the shelf then I run it onroad.

Mostly off-road (the old buggies had me hooked watching promo videos in the local Toyworld store years ago). I’ve started dabbling in some on-road stuff lately though. @Truck Norris‘ builds really highlight how cool on-roaders can look. I’m not likely to be able to replicate his efforts, but I’m having a crack 😉

• Like 1

Off Road for me,

Limited places to run On road, and just prefer the 3D driving of Off road.

the two 'on-road' tamiyas i have are rally cars...the rest are buggies and monster trucks. so i guess for running, thats off road for me too.

I was always into off road, as on road racing wasn't as much of a thing back when I was racing. Now I am slowly edging back into off road,, but I have also just bought a second hand TB-01 for thrashing around the pathways and basketball court in the park next door.

All of mine are off road 

mainly buggies but a few monster trucks (beetle, lunchbox/cannonball run, clodbuster)

I do fancy a FWD on road but they just aren’t floating my boat

JJ

4 minutes ago, Problemchild said:

I do fancy a FWD on road but they just aren’t floating my boat

I'm not surprised. Boats are terrible on road.

• Haha 5

Nearly all my cars are off-road.

TA03R, TA03F in bits, and M03 race car are the exceptions.

R is a drifter, as will be the F when I finally piece it together.

M03 has a ride height of 3mm, so can only use that on a track. Great fun to race though.

I have a few other old chassis' that I have yet to identify, but will post up a 'Please help identify' thread at some point in the future.

I'm the same as @mtbkym01 , I was hooked ogling all the old school off-road kits at the local Toyworld.

All my modern race cars are off-road too.

So if I had to choose one or the other, would be dirt and jumps hands down. B)

• Like 1

What is this "on-road" of which you speak? I drive buggies on paved surfaces at times. Does that count? Honestly, the sheer dynamics of off-road, with their exaggerated mechcanics and motions will always trump the somewhat more realistic appearance of on-road vehicles (scalers, SRBs excepted) Plus the illusion of reality some on-roaders have is always spoiled in my eyes by their driving dynamics. Their small size, low weight, chassis layout and quick responsiveness mean they don't seem real in action. Virtually no full-size car reacts with such quickness to driver input 

• Like 1

Its definitely off-road for me (although I do love the look of the RM-01 Porsche 956) I've tried on-road building TB01, TB02 etc and I just tend to switch off (sorry all you guy's that are fans of the chassis! It's nothing wrong with the chassis it's just me:unsure:) every time a new tamiya rc appears and it sits on a on road chassis I just stop reading about it...........sorry:(!!

I've got a fairly even mix between crawler/scaler rigs, on-road, and off-road. Each has it's place. I really enjoy the appearance of the various types, so I don't have a particular favorite category, although I usually find myself driving a rally car or trail rig. The trail trucks are nice for long walks in the woods or by the creek, while rally cars are perfect in front of the house where there's short grass, bumpy sidewalk, and smooth concrete street. I run quite a few on-road only cars out front, too. 

The buggies and fast trucks seem to get run the least, and some haven't been run in a long time. Maybe because they're all pretty fast, maybe because they need more after run maintenance, maybe because they are more fun on a track; I don't know. The vintage buggies get the most mileage of the lot, though. They're more fun to drive than the modern stuff, even though they aren't (objectively) as good. In particular, I enjoy the Super Astute and RC10CE.

It's funny; almost all of my racing, back when I raced, was on-road, and nearly all indoor carpet. Usually Associated or Bolink pan cars, though there was a "gearbox class" for a while in which I ran an RC10 with foam tires and 1/4" of ground clearance. I also raced touring cars and M-chassis cars briefly.

But almost all my "fun" running is off-road, and these days, usually slow scale/trail/crawler or vintage buggies. Nothing that gets above about 15-20 mph. I don't have a good area for the really low on-road cars, so the ones I have (retired race cars) are pretty much shelf queens now.

I do love restoring the old off-road buggies, but if I ever got to a financial position where I could collect NIB vintage kits, I think I would be more interested in the on-road cars. I still really want one of the old RM cars from Tamiya someday, as well as an original RC12E.

I really like the look of the on road cars and rally style models, but I only own off road models as the on road and rally models have such limited ground clearance. 

On 12/22/2019 at 12:45 PM, moffman said:

Its definitely off-road for me (although I do love the look of the RM-01 Porsche 956) I've tried on-road building TB01, TB02 etc and I just tend to switch off (sorry all you guy's that are fans of the chassis! It's nothing wrong with the chassis it's just me:unsure:) every time a new tamiya rc appears and it sits on a on road chassis I just stop reading about it...........sorry:(!!

I always like the look of the TOMS Toyota 84C. That's SUCH a handsome shell.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Yalson said:

I have an original Porsche 956 and a Toyota toms racing master, and i have to say, i too prefer the Toms livery. I think back in the day everybody went for the Porsche livery, so the original Toms is a rarer car.

J

2 hours ago, Yalson said:

Yeah that's a good handsome shell (just watched an old tamiya video of them both racing together what looks like a on road track outside the tamiya factory) :wub: brilliant!!

• Like 1

My fleet is pretty much balanced in terms of total numbers - however my on-roaders are generally newer racing models, while my classics are mostly off-roaders. I do have a couple of classic F1s, and I'm not sure if the FF-01 is old enough yet to be a classic, but they are out-numbered by Hornets, Grasshoppers, 'Shots and suchlike.

Not sure why this is - possibly because the iconic Tamiyas of old were mostly offroaders?

Alright, I've got 30 RC vehicles (a few of them in the middle of restoration process, and a couple not finished) and only two out of 'em are on-roaders (Your classic Porsches, of course ;)). Even the bike is a dirt specimen! 

All Off road up til recently when I got 3 NiB on road cars. I have never raced but there’s a little track a few miles from home, really should get down there sometime.