junkmunki

Blast from the TC past

I just now decided to see what was happening on TC all those years ago in 2002 when the site was still all shiny and new. I looked back to the very first page of the general discusion page, and had to laugh when i found a thread from @lunchbox asking if anybody ever used the chat forums... it was obviously a bit quiet back then! :lol:

Its certainly not quiet now and there is no shortage of chat.

How many of you cant go for more than a day or so with out checking the latest threads here on good old TC? I have to confess to tuning in a few times a week.

J

I'm relatively new to Tamiya / RC (joined in 2015 I think) and didn't really have a hobby before it. 

I dip in here most days, probably spend more time on the forum than actually wrenching on a vehicle bit they aren't always to hand!

I'm constantly amazed by the variety of vehicles and skills of the members on here, it keeps my interest level high.

• Like 1

I love going back and looking at all the cool old threads. You don't realize how much the discussion style has changed over the years until you do (and I've been doing it since '05 under my original screen name). You see alot of members that drifted away and the start of plenty of new ones coming in. On the weekends, it feels like I drop by every hour on my phone. TC is the first place I hit in the morning while eating breakfast and the last before I go to bed.

I've been a member on here since 2004 , I've seen the whole Tamiya Club scene grow massively . I'm on here many times a day if I can and I've never met a better bunch of guys and gals anywhere . Members come and go but the community thrives as new members join . Merry Christmas and Happy new year to all TCers

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, KEV THE REV said:

I've been a member on here since 2004 , I've seen the whole Tamiya Club scene grow massively . I'm on here many times a day if I can and I've never met a better bunch of guys and gals anywhere . Members come and go but the community thrives as new members join . Merry Christmas and Happy new year to all TCers

Happy christmas to you too.

I was just reading a review you did on Tamiya 101 back in 2006 on the Lancia rally. I quite often use the site as reference to box art, and i'm noticing a few familiar names from back then.

J

Forums have come on a long way even since I was starting on them in the early 2000s

and photobucket nearly killed them!! and has certainly impacted them massively 

they are an essential part of life 

I wish people would stop trying to move these discussions to the awful unfettered world of Facebook 

JJ

• Like 5

joined about six months ago? at that time just ordered a lunchbox and was doing 'research'. that led up to restoring my two older tamiyas. ...and building a few more.

the build threads and gallery are an awesome resource, and i'm amazed by the amount of tamiya knowledge this collective has. ask an obscure question, and someone is bound to chime in with a specific part number.

37 minutes ago, Problemchild said:

I wish people would stop trying to move these discussions to the awful unfettered world of Facebook 

hear hear!

• Like 1

Check in at least once a day, its cost me an arm and a leg but I wouldnt change it. Such a great variety.

I check in at least a couple times per day, love the TC forum.  I love forums in general, I feel you get much more out of them than social media.  I've seen some really good ones (some RC, some not) go away due to social media...

I come here a few times per day.  Usually in the morning after I've worked on my novel for a bit, then 2-3 times a day at work, and maybe last thing at night if I'm having a studio night.  If I'm on baby duty or spending a night with the wife then I don't usually browse web.  I don't like doing mobile web.

I've noticed a big change since I started.  I first showed up when the re-res were kicking off and most of the chat was about what was coming next and how the SRBs / 3-Speeds would never be re-re'd.  There was a lot of innovation in those days too.  No 3D printers, no mail order laser cut parts - people customised cars by chopping up other parts or sheets of metal or FRP.  The crawler scene took off and it was all clod axles and stick chassis.  I had an awesome plan to build one based on uPVC cable trunking, but it never got finished.  Then the scaler scene exploded - Reign chassis, Traxxas Stampede transmissions, TLT axles.  I've still got some of those, unfinished.

Then almost overnight it seemed to change.  I'm not really sure what happened.  Maybe it was the recession?  Or maybe it was the SRB/3-Speed re-res.  Lots of people left, or stopped posting so much.  New people came in.  Tamiyaclub is still a great community (perhaps the friendliest and most helpful community I've ever been a part of) but it's different now.  No better, no worse, but different.  I still love that we help rather than hinder.  So many other forums, someone will ask a question that's been answered, or can only be answered by opinion, and the very first reply is a passive-aggressive "do a search, this has been done to death!" - like that is in some way helpful.  Because, y'know, if I do a search in 6 months time, I'll find a dozen threads asking the right question and three dozen replies saying "do a search!" and no actual link to the answer.  If it's that easy, just link to the answer so the rest of us can search it later.

Anyway, that doesn't happen here.  Here we just answer the question.  And we love the opinion-based answers.  I've long been of the opinion that  "What kit should I get next?" is really just pre-purchased excitement and serves no practical purpose since you already know what you're going to get, but I love to step in and reply because it give me a chance to do a bit of window shopping and get that pre-purchase excitement by proxy.  Kind of in the same way that sports enthusiasts get euphoric when their team wins and down when they lose, I suppose.

Anyway, I'm digressing.  Yes, I come here often.  Things don't move as fast as they used to but there's usually 2 or 3 good threads to get involved in every week.

• Like 3

Most days I have a laptop on at home I will check in several times. Dont use on phone as its a pain to log in and difficult to see properly.

Its the most civilized, knowledgeable and helpful forums I have ever used. NO trolls, No smart *** comments, no bitching, Just friendly, helpful knowledgeable like minded members helping each other out. I love the different sides of Tamiya it has exposed me to, esp the projects/scratch design and builds......WOOOOOOO

With this forum I have found and been able to purchase a VERY tidy vintage Hotshot 2, a VERY tidy HS re re with painted body ( I still got to build it YOOOOOO) VERY tidy Madcap which allowed me to convert my Madcap into a Saint Dragon. AND so many parts to help me restore my Thundershot family of buggies.

If I have no interest in a topic I dont open it and if I have no opinion I dont post a comment, on most forums I use that is not the case, some people post for the sake of it (like there is a competition to get your number of posts up and its usually NOT a helpful reply either) Also short, snide or rude answers are common elsewhere.

LOVE TC forum:wub:

Hats off to us all.

• Like 4

I think the one common thread i am noticing here, is that it doesn't matter how much money you have to spend, how many models you have or how big your showroom is, everybody is happy to chat and help everybody else. That is so not the case on most of social media where one upmanship is the order of the day, and the goal is to be better than everybody else.

I cant stand social media such as twitter and facebook, where it seems the idea is to inform the world what you are doing every second of the day... Who cares what you had for breakfast, or what you are wearing.

TC remains a haven for like minded people.

Heres a question though, because TC caters for pretty well all Tamiya models, be it RC of not, are there static model builders among us? Also, how many female members are there? I'm sure there must be families that enjoy the hobby together.

Happy Christams all.

J

• Like 6

I joined in early 2002 I think, I remember an online chat room or am I just imagining it!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Problemchild said:

Forums have come on a long way even since I was starting on them in the early 2000s

and photobucket nearly killed them!! and has certainly impacted them massively 

they are an essential part of life 

JJ

Yeah I always think that! why try to involve Facebook? I came off that years ago because I got bored with the manipulation and the sly way things are posted generally with an ulterior motive! all I want is just a light hearted conversation about my hobby with like minded people and over the year's I've been on this forum it's been nothing but enjoyable as well as the many things I've learned on the way and the stunning pictures of rc models that's been posted always ever cease to amaze me:wub:...........long may it continue! 

• Like 3

I joined in Jan 2011, and have to say this is the best forum I have been a part of.

As others have said, no put downs, flaming, negativity or anything.

Only friendly and helpful members who are all here for the same reason.

Glad to see it still thriving when FB has taken over from other forums.

I check in as often as I can, and hope the same positive and active membership continues for a long time to come.

• Like 3

I’ve been around since the early days. I Was member 34 making the transition from Roby’s old Tamiya database which was closing.  

It was exciting back then. Lots of great stories of finding hidden stashes in old hobby shops. Lots of threads on the old cars that would spark your curiosity or want for a vehicle. 

For me a lot changed in ‘08. My ex asked for a divorce.  I deleted my extensive showroom in an effort to thwart my ex but it was too late. Even though I paid for my collection through selling on eBay and other side money, She had printed off every page in my showroom and logged it as a community asset which precluded me from selling anything to help out with the $22k in lawyer fees I had.  I ended up having to give her my real car just to keep my toy cars. I Was so disgusted with the situation that I did nothing R/C and didn’t even go in my garage for about a 1.5 years.  

When I did finally come back to TC the old guys had moved on and it was new people discussing cars I cared less about. I found people were less helpful and rarely thanked you for a long technical reply you typed out. As a result I started spending more time over at RC10talk. 

I still come back here but I’m no where near a prolific poster as I once was. 

• Sad 1

If I’m reasearching something Tamiya related I start on google and, guaranteed on the 1st page, there’ll be a link to a thread from TC on the subject that often contains more links to other resources. Great fun going down those rabbit holes! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Shodog said:

I’ve been around since the early days. I Was member 34 making the transition from Roby’s old Tamiya database which was closing.  

It was exciting back then. Lots of great stories of finding hidden stashes in old hobby shops. Lots of threads on the old cars that would spark your curiosity or want for a vehicle. 

For me a lot changed in ‘08. My ex asked for a divorce.  I deleted my extensive showroom in an effort to thwart my ex but it was too late. Even though I paid for my collection through selling on eBay and other side money, She had printed off every page in my showroom and logged it as a community asset which precluded me from selling anything to help out with the $22k in lawyer fees I had.  I ended up having to give her my real car just to keep my toy cars. I Was so disgusted with the situation that I did nothing R/C and didn’t even go in my garage for about a 1.5 years.  

When I did finally come back to TC the old guys had moved on and it was new people discussing cars I cared less about. I found people were less helpful and rarely thanked you for a long technical reply you typed out. As a result I started spending more time over at RC10talk. 

I still come back here but I’m no where near a prolific poster as I once was. 

When i see mention of the older guys moving on, i always wonder whether they have given up on the hobby for good, or whether they are still doing their thing somewhere. I have been into this hobby for near on 40 years, but only really discovered TC in the last 6 or so years, kind of makes me wish i had found it earlier.

I've come across quite a few videos that @Stevo309 and @Moosey did back in the day, and kind of wish i had known about them back then. As i understand it, they've hung up their controlers and given up on all things Tamiya.

1 hour ago, J@mes said:

If I’m reasearching something Tamiya related I start on google and, guaranteed on the 1st page, there’ll be a link to a thread from TC on the subject that often contains more links to other resources. Great fun going down those rabbit holes! 

That is exactly how i found TC in the first place...

Dont you find though, you will start out looking for some specific info, but after following a few links, you have found something you werent looking for, but needed to know...

J

• Like 2

Not very active these days, but I keep tabs on the forum RSS feed. I can't believe it's been 17 years... 

Happy holidays everybody!

I only joined 5 years ago according to my profile. That is a lot of cars and money spent in a short period of time 🤣

• Haha 2

I log in a couple times a day and I get a lot out the forum.

I am very rarely active with my Tamiya models but the TC gang give me hope,  inspiration and keep me involved from the sidelines. 

A superb forum, with superb bunch of people. 

• Like 1

it’s strange 

people keep saying they log in a few times a day

i never log out 

I always have a browser tab open on my phone :)

I do the same for lots of forums

on my car forum, it says I’ve been logged on for over 3yrs

JJ

• Haha 2