Sign in to follow this  
RagingHounds

1985 “worlds” IRS HORNET

Does anyone have better pictures of this IRS hornet?   It was back in 85 at the worlds event. It was a mixture of hotshot and hornet parts and by chance I have a box of them in a both.... so now I am wanting to make a tribute hornet with an IRS... with stock tamiya parts.  

It was built by Yoshiaki Shimotori

it was on Dirt Burners.com, but I don’t think that site is working anymore. 

Does anyone have better pictures of this car?

818B938A-6419-4B27-A213-50B9FEEF5BBB.jpeg

219679A6-4869-416D-9B7C-A6CDED33947B.png

904680AD-CA52-4F35-865C-E646CBE07BFA.png

• Like 5

Looks like a cool project. I have done something very similar with the following generation parts, grafting a Thundershot rear trans and suspension onto a Grasshopper 2 and doing a 4 bar front end to match. I am sure there are a few things which will help if you go through these threads and the other threads they link to. 

That hornet front end must use leaf springs or torsion bars somehow. I can't figure it out. Someone has fitted my DT02/3 front arm conversion piece from Shapeways to a Lunchbox so depending on how faithful you want to be to the original that would almost certainly fit for using regular oil shocks. If you measured up some hotshot arms i would be happy to check if they fit. Maybe a Boomerang style monoshock would graft on using hotshot arms? 

• Like 2

This is so sad, the the dirtburners site is down, there were some threads I followed last year, and it was Always amazing what Tom E.G. digged out over the years, even getting in contact with some of the old drivers and designers.

But a Repro of the Hornet close to the old pictures would be really cool, especially when using Tamiya parts as much as possible.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

Anyone know how the front suspension works? 

+1

14 hours ago, ruebiracer said:

This is so sad, the the dirtburners site is down, there were some threads I followed last year, and it was Always amazing what Tom E.G. digged out over the years, even getting in contact with some of the old drivers and designers.

But a Repro of the Hornet close to the old pictures would be really cool, especially when using Tamiya parts as much as possible.

That’s what I want to do.  3d printing is an option, but this was done in 85 and it looks like it made it competitive with the rc10’s of the day with using only tamiya parts. I am going to start building the hotshot trans and back suspension and hope that I am infused with some Tamiya magic to get it all to hook up.  

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Snappy1 said:

Different car and design but very similar

https://www.tamiyaclub.com/forum/index.php?/topic/81474-shapeways-x-ampro-hornet-superfly/

I know alot of the pictures are missing but it can all be ordered from shapeways, or google Ampro Superfly 

Or the actual independent rear end episode 

Great looking rig!  I’m going to try to only use hotshot parts and make a “tribute”  “hot-hornet”. 😆 

21 hours ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

Looks like a cool project. I have done something very similar with the following generation parts, grafting a Thundershot rear trans and suspension onto a Grasshopper 2 and doing a 4 bar front end to match. I am sure there are a few things which will help if you go through these threads and the other threads they link to. 

That hornet front end must use leaf springs or torsion bars somehow. I can't figure it out. Someone has fitted my DT02/3 front arm conversion piece from Shapeways to a Lunchbox so depending on how faithful you want to be to the original that would almost certainly fit for using regular oil shocks. If you measured up some hotshot arms i would be happy to check if they fit. Maybe a Boomerang style monoshock would graft on using hotshot arms? 

Thanks for the inspiration!

• Thanks 1