Sign in to follow this  
RA1028

Tamiya XC Land Rover Defender project

I am with the previous 2 posters, exelent job on the painting & conversion,

No downside, but i would sugest using black wheel nuts, if those are on, i think you

can fool a lot of people with the picture claiming it is a real one.

Stefan

Hmm,now it's finished, it looks great!

Expesially when you use "natural lightning".

Great job!

Grtz Dee

Ah,forgot:

If you have a zoomlens, try to take some distance from it (as far as can be).

That way, you don't loose focus and it will be very difficult to spot the difference between a real car and this beauty.

If you're handy with Photoshop, add very little blur.

If not, I can do that for yah.

Try it, I'm very interested in the pics.

Grtz Dee

Landrover.jpg

This is what I meant.

Now that I look at it again, maybe a bit to dramatic...

Very important to take a picture at the correct height.

This one (original one) looks the best because of the height.

Grtz Dee

Yes, I am very happy with the outcome of this project. This is the first time I attempted to do a project like this. At the beginning I am very skeptical because I don't know if the shell will fit to my XC chassis. End up it is a relatively easy project to do. What I need is a XC chassic with the long propeller shaft like in the CRV or VW Touareg, A pair of front steering upright and drive axle from TA01 plus some material to extend the chassis tube. Thats all. The amazing part is I can use the front and rear body mount from my CR-V on this project with just little modification. You can check this out from my Yahoo photo album.

I've just received the Defender body. Thanks Peter. If you keep in mind the color of Peter's defender what do you think of this Hilux chassis? Do I have to give this mod a go or better staying with the XC chassis of Peters example? The main drawback of the Hilux is the width of the rear axle. What should I do?

Here the body quickly put on the Hilux chassis:

http://www.laoh.com/oktober_2005_landrover.htm

Wow, not bad at all compared to other custom 3 speed combinations, wouldn't have though of it! [8D]

Cheers

Hi Peter, very nice job there. I am really jealous of your modelling skills. That is a beauty anyone would be proud to own. [^] Gary

quote:I've just received the Defender body. Thanks Peter. If you keep in mind the color of Peter's defender what do you think of this Hilux chassis? Do I have to give this mod a go or better staying with the XC chassis of Peters example? The main drawback of the Hilux is the width of the rear axle. What should I do?

id="quote">id="quote">

I also tried the shell on a hilux chassis but the result was not as good as on a XC chassis. Major reason as you said is about the width of the rear axle. Other reason will be the suspension and wheel base. As you know Hilux suspension is really not functional. As you can see from the result of my Defender. XC chassis is perfect for this shell especially the longer version from CR-V. What I did was to extend the plastic chassis tube by about 7mm(can still use the original rear propeller shaft), replace the front steering uprights and wheel axles from TA01, plus a set of Hummer wheels and tires. That's almost all I need. The best part is i can even use the CRV body mounting components.

To all who have question about where is this shell coming from. It is from a complete RTR RC toy made in China. To me the quality is bad and unacceptable except the shell. So I bought the whole thing and detach the shell from the chassis throw away the charger, battery and Tx and ship it the other members. The whole package is really heavy and cost around uS$50 to ship worldwide from HK. Now it only cost uS$20-25 shipping only. So if anyone interested please contact me. I already sold 7 shells to 6 TC member.

To all who bought it please share the progress of your project here and let me know if you need any suggestion on your project.

Also thanks for all your comments.

Got my body today and I must say its absolutely excellent!! Thanks for all the effort - excellent service :)

Got my shell today, suberb[8D]

Just got to find time to make a r/c runner out of it[:I]

Hi Peter, could you share with us how you lengthened the chassis (by 7mm)? I am getting more and more interested in it...thinking of using a Touareg for the project too. Thanks in advance, Gary