TurnipJF

This is my TT-02. There are many like it but this one is mine.

The photo with the scraggly wiring was bothering me, so I put some heatshrink around it, loosely for now. 

2020-01-03_12-40-55

I'll shrink it down properly when I have the motor heatsink fan wire in there too. 

• Like 3

The heatsink arrived today. 

2020-01-07_11-17-13

This was to be the last piece, but when trying my race blob shell on it I found the foam bumper to be a bit big. Initially I was planning on trimming it, but a neater solution would be to buy a slightly smaller one, so that is on order. 

I have also decided that the chassis is of sufficient quality to justify something a bit better than CVAs, so some nice blue Yeah Racing alloy shocks with threaded bodies and titanium coated shafts are on their way too.

• Like 3

The replacement bumper has arrived. Although sold as fitting the TT-01 and TGS, it fits the TT-02 too without a problem.

2020-01-08_09-46-45

It sticks out less than the one supplied with the TT-02 type S.

2020-01-08_09-16-27

In place, it gives the chassis a shorter front overhang.

2020-01-08_09-15-59

My race blob shell now fits without deformation. 

2020-01-08_10-26-20

Came across your build thread and am now following this. Thanks again for all your input on my thread I posted. Being in the United States I have a bit of a wait for a lot of parts that I ordered from overseas.

Quick question, the YR steering rack, is is this part number #TT02-042BU? I've been looking at (local shop has in stock) the Tamiya steering upgrade set (#54752), but I'm assuming ALL of those parts in the set aren't necessary and the YR components you added are the most important aspects?

23 minutes ago, TheCEO said:

Came across your build thread and am now following this. Thanks again for all your input on my thread I posted. Being in the United States I have a bit of a wait for a lot of parts that I ordered from overseas.

Quick question, the YR steering rack, is is this part number #TT02-042BU? I've been looking at (local shop has in stock) the Tamiya steering upgrade set (#54752), but I'm assuming ALL of those parts in the set aren't necessary and the YR components you added are the most important aspects?

No problem - glad you found it useful.

Yes, the steering rack I used is indeed Yeah Racing P/N TT02-042BU.

The Tamiya steering upgrade set P/N 54752 is great for a base-model TT-02, which benefits from all the parts included. However the Type S kit already includes the turnbuckles and high torque servo saver, so only really needs the ballraced alloy steering rack itself, which is what you get with Yeah Racing's set.

1 hour ago, TurnipJF said:

The Tamiya steering upgrade set P/N 54752 is great for a base-model TT-02, which benefits from all the parts included. However the Type S kit already includes the turnbuckles and high torque servo saver, so only really needs the ballraced alloy steering rack itself, which is what you get with Yeah Racing's set.

Ah yes. The Type R kit lacks the high torque servo saver. I'll just have to pick up the entire set in a bit. I'm in a holding pattern right now as some of the parts I ordered have a delivery date of end of February. I have the opportunity to spread some parts out over the next month. Less noticeable that way to the wife.

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, TheCEO said:

Ah yes. The Type R kit lacks the high torque servo saver. I'll just have to pick up the entire set in a bit. I'm in a holding pattern right now as some of the parts I ordered have a delivery date of end of February. I have the opportunity to spread some parts out over the next month. Less noticeable that way to the wife.

Alternatively, since the Type R already comes with turnbuckles, you could pick up the Tamiya High Torque servo saver P/N 51000, along with the Yeah Racing steering rack. Probably works out significantly cheaper that way.

Trimmed the shell this afternoon, and fitted the display wheelset:

2020-01-09_03-44-22

2020-01-09_03-53-37

When painted and stickered, it should look pretty good displayed with my TT-01, which wears this shell and wheelset for shelf duty:

2019-07-10_02-45-53

• Like 6

Still waiting on delivery of the "Bright Gun Metal" PS paint for the main shell, so in the meantime I painted up the wing and light bucket pieces as I had suitable PS paints in my stash for those. 

2020-01-10_10-09-17

Black for the main wing, end plates and front light buckets, metallic red backed with silver for the rear light buckets. 

Are you going to spray the outside of the body ( but not the stickers ) with Matt clear. The real car is Matt rather than shiny though the graphics are shiny. I've got a 1/24scale Tamiya AMG and as decals do not stick well to mattfinishes os going to be very hard to get the right combination of Matt and shiny! Polycarbonate and stickers should be easier😀

10 hours ago, Busdriver said:

Are you going to spray the outside of the body ( but not the stickers ) with Matt clear. The real car is Matt rather than shiny though the graphics are shiny. I've got a 1/24scale Tamiya AMG and as decals do not stick well to mattfinishes os going to be very hard to get the right combination of Matt and shiny! Polycarbonate and stickers should be easier😀

Matt might be more accurate to the full-size, but I don't like the look - to me it appears as if they just haven't bothered to polish it. So mine will be glossy. 

It will also soon have some shiny alloy threaded shocks, which arrived today. 

2020-01-14_10-51-41

• Like 2

With the fitment of the new shocks, I consider the chassis complete and as hopped up as I want it.  

2020-01-16_07-43-27

Unless racing reveals any shortcomings that need to be addressed through further hop-ups, this is likely how it will stay. 

Now to wait for time off work to coincide with good painting weather, and get the display shell done!

• Like 4

On 1/14/2020 at 2:53 PM, TurnipJF said:

It will also soon have some shiny alloy threaded shocks, which arrived today. 

2020-01-14_10-51-41

Which mm did you end up going with? Looks great. Looking forward to seeing it with the display body. 

7 hours ago, TheCEO said:

Which mm did you end up going with? Looks great. Looking forward to seeing it with the display body. 

Thanks!

I went for 55mm shocks built with 3mm internal spacers to limit them to 52mm.

• Like 1

Surprisingly good weather for this time of year allowed me to get some paint on the shell:

2020-01-18_05-45-14

Just the decals and final assembly to go now. 

• Like 2

On 1/8/2020 at 5:18 PM, TurnipJF said:

Alternatively, since the Type R already comes with turnbuckles, you could pick up the Tamiya High Torque servo saver P/N 51000, along with the Yeah Racing steering rack. Probably works out significantly cheaper that way.

This is the direction I'm gonna go. The Yeah Racing steering set includes/replaces the steering bridge correct? I'm looking at the entire tree Tamiya hop up steering set and it includes the steering bridge. But I'm assuming the Yeah Racing one includes that, just looks different?

6 minutes ago, TheCEO said:

This is the direction I'm gonna go. The Yeah Racing steering set includes/replaces the steering bridge correct? I'm looking at the entire tree Tamiya hop up steering set and it includes the steering bridge. But I'm assuming the Yeah Racing one includes that, just looks different?

That is correct. The Yeah Racing set includes the whole rack assembly, bridge and all. It looks a little different but does exactly the same thing. It also includes the screws and bearings required for installation. 

Applied the windscreen, window and headlight frame decals:

2020-01-20_10-38-36

Plenty more to go!

• Like 4

A marathon session this evening saw almost all the decals applied to the body:

2020-01-21_11-19-00

The only ones that remain to do are the yellow stripes for the mirrors as I am in two minds about painting them, the AMG license plate at the back as I am considering using a German style Tamico one instead, and the yellow bands around the wheels as I ran out of time. 

Tomorrow evening I am hoping to get the wheel decals done, assemble/fit the wing and perhaps even fit the light buckets if time permits. 

• Like 5

The rear light buckets are in, and I opted for the AMG sticker in the end rather than a German rear license plate. 

2020-01-23_09-09-21

• Like 2