Saito2

Fox with Boomerang rear arms

Over at Tamiyabase, there is an article from an old French magazine detailing Fox modifications. At the rear, it goes through the steps needed to mount Boomerang rear arms to the Fox.

finished modified rear end

Please excuse my ignorance, but what is the advantage of this set-up? It looks fairly ingenious and I love old creative modifications like this. I'd like to understand it better (and maybe give it a go if the benefits are worth it ;)). 

• Like 2

Do the rear arms look longer? more suspension travel?

I can see that the rear shocks are mounted forward compared to at the rear on a Fox which would give a slightly better centre of gravity

I have never owned a Fox

• Like 2

You got me curious enough to compare. 

96GHmTy.jpg

Thanks for bringing this up. I didn't realize this until I actually compared, but Bigwig arms are much longer.  It doesn't look like much on the photo, but it's a substantial difference.  The track is slightly wider too.  The bottom arms are so long, the pins for hub carriers go into the wheels in Bigwig.  They don't in Fox.  The articulation is just greater on Bigwig.   

GEGb3SV.jpg

• Like 2

I wonder if this would be substantially beneficial. The offset of the Hot Shot style rims probably "hides" even more of the length difference. I also wonder if the rear track would become noticeably wider than the front. Time to do some comparisons. With the re-re Nova Fox's dogbone setup, it should be an easy swap. 

True. Good point.

Edit: I checked out the difference in track. If running Boomer rear arms, it appears the rear track will be a good bit wider than the front. 

8 hours ago, Saito2 said:

Over at Tamiyabase, there is an article from an old French magazine detailing Fox modifications. At the rear, it goes through the steps needed to mount Boomerang rear arms to the Fox.

finished modified rear end

Please excuse my ignorance, but what is the advantage of this set-up? It looks fairly ingenious and I love old creative modifications like this. I'd like to understand it better (and maybe give it a go if the benefits are worth it ;)). 

Wider rear end might or might not have real nett benefits... afaik Fox rear end doesn't really do all that much anyway. It's a stable handling car because the wheelbase is long.

My real Q is why nobody did that back when (before NovaFox rere) unbroken Fox arms were near unobtainable and NOS sprues were selling for $100+

Ok ok Boomerang rere only arrived shortly before NovaFox but afaik there's always been plenty of NOS original Boomerang arm sprues about, they weren't as brittle & regularly ripped off in small prangs unlike Fox. 

Wasted opportunity :) 

On 26 December 2019 at 5:34 AM, Snappy1 said:

Do the rear arms look longer? more suspension travel?

I can see that the rear shocks are mounted forward compared to at the rear on a Fox which would give a slightly better centre of gravity

I have never owned a Fox

The shocks are at the rear STILL , as you are looking at the front of the diff in the above pic .  

NOW i had only just looked at it again , as i could not line things up with the Boomer arms , the line for the drive shalft etc .

So i had to relook at the setup lol.  So i put the arms with shocks at front , as your post stuck in my head :LOL: .

I should look and read better :D . It also uses boomer rear uprights as well , that help aline the dog bone out drives etc 

And i looked at the pic more , mind you . "PUTTING" my Glass's on helps lol . Old age sadly :P ... 

Of all the fox's i have , i had to use the only one with vintage dog bone setup , i didn't know i had :O ...

The vintage out drive in the fox diff  is different seup as it  has the blackfoot , MB etc hex type setup . 

But as luck has it , we can use the rere dog bone setup if i didn't have the hopup vintage dog bones .

All i have to do now is the adjustable upper arms .  And change the shock bottoms to the longer push on to fit boomer

arms . Luck i have them . Just need to find ball joint stuff to make arms etc . 

• Like 1

Had a play with this and this is what i have done . 

Boomerang rear arms and uprights , rere out drives and axles & hotshot Front dog bones .

Boomerang shock bottoms . Longer shock shaft .

Some spacers etc for shocks and of course rod ends . 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 3

Doesn't look that much wider, tyre is still close to resistors... you're using Hotshot rear wheels there I assume - not WildOne wheels.

Poor shock tower might have issues with the torque/twisting leverage of the shocks being mounted so far away. Wonder how much force it'll take to fold the top ears off. 

Yep hotshot/boomerang rear wheels , as that's what was used .

Shock springs are soft and it's not to bad , still have to tinker ..

There is a difference  , not much of one . But if i put the Fox rear wheels on it will .

All i am doing it what was about in 1st pic . In pic it has boomerang triangle wheel adaptors , that are 

the 4wd boomerang ones etc .  But a small amount of difference is alot on a car , in most cases .

Will be interesting to see the difference driving it and seting it up as well . 

image.jpeg

• Like 3

Does the blue knuckles have any built-in toe or is it in the arms?

Looks a bit toe-Out with the arm & knuckle mounted backwards. 

• Like 1