junkmunki

Best paint striper for hard shells in the UK

Only left it on for 20 minutes maximum, but it only cracked on the edge at its thinnest. 

Cleaned all the paint off a treat. 

I used the bbq cleaner

just spraying on and leaving was crap 

so I put it in a plastic bag, sprayed and wrapped it all up - perfect 

8Pa043O.jpg

3 applications and it was all gone and no damage to the 30yr old plastic shell.

Got some clods to do now 

JJ

On 2/13/2020 at 10:55 PM, Problemchild said:

so I put it in a plastic bag, sprayed and wrapped it all up - perfect 

I think thats the trick.

Well here's one of my Lexan "fails"

The paint came off a treat but left this kind of white coating even though I washed it off thoroughly. It will come off with some effort but it will not simply wash or wipe off and a second treatment of de-solv-it has no effect either. I've tried various different chemicals to get it off but nothing seems to work. It will scrape off if you use your finger nail but obviously this would be sould destroying.

eQ8eBFY.jpg

I think the telling part is that the windows of the body are absolutely crystal clear despite being smothered with de-solv-it. I'm guessing the original paint etched into the lexan somewhat and left it porous as a result, because of this, some component of the de-solv-it/paint solution has keyed into the surface whereas it just wiped straight off the "virgin" lexan with zero effort required.

km5Ikqt.jpg

I think I have finally found a solution, Brasso polish will get rid of the residue and leave a finish that's more than good enough to apply paint to. It's time consuming but at least you can use a soft cloth and get into all the nooks and crannies.

G05q39M.jpg

It's interesting because like I say, sometimes it goes fine and any residue just wipes/rinses off. My tamiya farm king came out crystal clear after the exact same kind of process:

PRMurRS.jpg?1