Tbc68

Newbie blitzer beetle owner

Hi guys new to the game dying to get into it for ages but Bmx,s & bikes have got in the way,

bought a resto blitzer beetle job and want to customise the heck out of it!

can anyone help me with a few rookie questions?

are the front & rear wheels the same size as the tyres are shot?

cheers

• Like 1

The fronts are narrower than the rears . Stock tyres are still available on eBay - search Tamiya Blitzer Beetle

If the BB is vintage with MSC you might want to fit an ESC and Ballrace the wheels and gearbox . If the radio gear works (27mhz? ) then you could still use it or upgrade the whole radio to 2.4G .

one easy mod is to swop the front knuckles over (left to right) so the ball ends are at the bottom - this reduces bump steer.

for tires i had pro-line dirt hawgs all round at some point, but have since switched to trenchers in the rear - they're a wee bit wider and fit the rear rims better.

Cheers guys I found this pic on the internet (hopefully someone on heres)

& this is the look wheel wise im after looks like stock bb wheels but can anyone advise me in the size & type of tyres please?

12C6FF09-12B7-49EB-B904-3B48CD1E623F.jpeg

I have a set of dirt hawgs as an alternative set to the originals. The look similar to these(but I dont think they are) and have the same profile in that the rears have a much more curved side wall as the rear tire is bigger

2019_0405stadiumthunderbuild0023.JPG.ca9cf764f19a73a527cda6a8eb4e39da.JPG

This is a picture of mine with the Dirt Hawgs. I'm sure I've seen the picture you posted somewhere on this site or at least very similar. Good choice the Bltzer, good honest fun.

1 minute ago, Busdriver said:

Looks like these are the Tires on Blitzer wheels.

That is nice but I’m not keen on the wheels is there anything to stop me putting 2 rear wheels on the front? (Newb question)

Yes. The rear wheels are secured to the axle with a hexagonal block that is pinned through the axle. The fronts a free wheeling and just have bearings. There has been much talk on this forum regarding the possibiltiy of converting Hex wheels to bearing wheels but Im not sure how succesful they have been. Some manufacturers do make wheels in the same pattern with both fittings. Its a google job!!!

I am a newb with a blitzer to. Waiting on weather to paint the body. Got to finish the wiring when 2s LiPo arrives.

DSCN1091.JPG

DSCN1095.JPG

DSCN1096.JPG

DSCN1097.JPG

DSCN1098.JPG

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Tbc68 said:

Cheers guys I found this pic on the internet (hopefully someone on heres)

& this is the look wheel wise im after looks like stock bb wheels but can anyone advise me in the size & type of tyres please?

12C6FF09-12B7-49EB-B904-3B48CD1E623F.jpeg

You can fit street rover tyres to your orange wheels as per your web pic . The rear tyres stretch over the rims more than the front will so the tyre wall profile will look as per the pic, no need to adapt rear rims to front 

2 hours ago, KEV THE REV said:

You can fit street rover tyres to your orange wheels as per your web pic . The rear tyres stretch over the rims more than the front will so the tyre wall profile will look as per the pic, no need to adapt rear rims to front 

I can see that now! Cheers that clears that one up 👍🏻

On 12/27/2019 at 4:09 PM, Tbc68 said:

The Blitzer wheels are 2.2 size though the front is slightly skinnier than the rear. The rear is 2.0 inches wide  I’ll double check the front once I fish the set out of my parts bin...

I have a set for use on my Blackfoot. I bought Proline tires for them and they fit fine. 

Terry

Also, the Blitzer uses the same front axle upright as the Hornet and many other Tamiya cars, so wheel options are plentiful. 

You can also push out the actual axle and insert the longer Blackfoot axle to give you the length you need for larger wheels. I did this on my sons Grasshopper and I mounted HPI super star MT wheels. 

Terry

• Like 1

The hornet uprights (that you put the wheel nut on) are smaller than the blitzer range

5 hours ago, taffer said:

The hornet uprights (that you put the wheel nut on) are smaller than the blitzer range

TamiyaBase lists the 50395 as the replacement. Does the Blitzer upright already have the long axle???

I'm in the middle of a Blitzer refresh. Mine gets abused to the full. A regular strip down is handy for finding problems before they develop. I run a 4370kv Goolrc brushless combo.  On 2S it's pretty quick and handles that sort of power with ease.

This strip down has revealed cracks in the chassis tub and lower front B parts. A common place Blitzers fail. 

For tyres I run Schumacher Vee4 on the rear and at the moment stock tamiya fronts. I'll up grade to Schumacher Vee2 fronts in time. 

20191229_183220.jpg

20191229_184139.jpg

45 minutes ago, Frog Jumper said:

TamiyaBase lists the 50395 as the replacement. Does the Blitzer upright already have the long axle???

I thought it did, it looks like it

• Like 1

1 hour ago, taffer said:

I thought it did, it looks like it

Based on the second photo Bromley posted, I think you’re right. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Frog Jumper said:

The Blitzer wheels are 2.2 size though the front is slightly skinnier than the rear. The rear is 2.0 inches wide  I’ll double check the front once I fish the set out of my parts bin...

I have a set for use on my Blackfoot. I bought Proline tires for them and they fit fine. 

Terry

The front is approx. 42mm wide.  The rear is approx. 50mm...  

Terry

6 hours ago, Frog Jumper said:

The front is approx. 42mm wide.  The rear is approx. 50mm...  

Terry

👍🏻

On 12/27/2019 at 9:09 PM, Tbc68 said:

Hi guys new to the game dying to get into it for ages but Bmx,s & bikes have got in the way,

bought a resto blitzer beetle job and want to customise the heck out of it!

can anyone help me with a few rookie questions?

cheers

A fellow BMX nerd?