Edgar70

NIB Ford F-150 RangerXLT

I'd usually cry build it...but...wow that's got to be rare as hens teeth.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

A better question may be why you’re asking ?

Why wouldn’t you build this ?

If it’s a value / investment thing you’ve got one thread ?

Or nervous nostalgia will lead you down another ?

To help with an answer, my NIBs safeguard my marriage when I finally retire - because whatever I spend now (to build then) is way cheaper than divorce 😂

So building early would be bonkers - but one or two will slip the net regardless ...

Why ? Because it’s fun !

Hard call to make.

Would be great fun to build it, but would be so few around now would be a shame not to keep it BNIB.

Maybe buy a re-re SS or BC and build a replica?

• Thanks 1

My thoughts are that if it’s survived this long it should remain unbuilt.  The packaging for the SRB’s is so nicely laid out in their clamshells that It’s a nice snap shot in time.  

New kits nowadays are just a bunch of parts thrown in a box which makes it less desirable for me to keep it nib  

Since I rarely run my new built vintage vehicles I get just as much enjoyment looking at it built just as I do looking at it in a box. My Mk.2 Scorcher will stay unbuilt NIB in the box. 

• Like 2

This is one of those situations I wouldn't want to be in. I wouldn't build it. There's a certain responsibility to preserving history with this kit. The other re-release SRBs make the decision all the more easy. If one really wishes to run one or at least have a shelf queen, it's possible to recreate it with what's available new today. Since I personally don't hoard nor wish the responsibility of preservation of old NIB kits, I'd sell it. Its awesome, but too tempting. Others' mileage may vary. 

4 hours ago, Saito2 said:

certain responsibility to preserving history with this kit.

Yup certainly feels that was a sense of needing to preserve what to me as a child was a dream and always want to have

I don’t suppose it will ever be a design sought after classic but worth it to me and a few others

11 hours ago, Falcon#5 said:

build a replica

I'm with Falcon#5 , keep it nib and build a replica , double the joy

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Edgar70 said:

I don’t suppose it will ever be a design sought after classic

It already is :)

• Like 1

20 hours ago, SuperChamp82 said:

If it’s a value / investment thing you’ve got one thread ?

Building a replica sounds a good idea, I’m now curious about future investment potential, could you direct me to where I may find the thread where I could find more information on this?

thanks

I don’t see very many tamiya’s as being a good investment ever since Tamiya killed the market with the Rere’s.  I’ve seen the value plummet on many of my vehicles

The Rere’s should have been a very limited release like how associated limited the “Classic” RC10 to 2500. Prices on those have been steadily increasing. 

On 12/30/2019 at 1:00 AM, Frog Jumper said:

Eugh what’s all that spooge oozing out around the motor? 

I say don’t build it. At some point after you build it you’ll wish it was still in the box.

buy a wreck and restore it & keep the NiB new in box 

Build it. Putting it together has got to be more exciting than its looks. 

Definitely build it never mind about value! What a priceless experience building a genuine 70s rc tamiya then you can display it! Much better than staring at a box of bits!

4 hours ago, moffman said:

Definitely build it never mind about value! What a priceless experience building a genuine 70s rc tamiya then you can display it! Much better than staring at a box of bits!

Certainly would be moffman and save on the responsibility of looking after the box of bits which if I'm honest is starting to trouble me!

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Edgar70 said:

Certainly would be moffman and save on the responsibility of looking after the box of bits which if I'm honest is starting to trouble me!

My first ever tamiya was a ranger which me and dad (90% dad) built starting on boxing day back I think 1979/80 ish buy the end of the night every man in the street we lived on was sitting at the dining room table giving their five pennies worth and what stuck in my mind (got to remember I was only about 11/12 years old ) was when everyone had gone and it was sitting on the table looking massive and proud with just the bare body sitting on the finished chassis no chrome parts on it just blew my tiny mind that why right to this day I just love a tamiya rc car because of that moment with the ranger! So if I ever got the chance to build one again that's what I would build it to! As good as the one down below is I never built it I just recondition it so it kinda doesn't have the attachment to me it's (was) a good one though!

IMG_20170813_175322.jpg

26 minutes ago, moffman said:

My first ever tamiya was a ranger which me and dad (90% dad) built starting on boxing day back I think 1979/80 ish buy the end of the night every man in the street we lived on was sitting at the dining room table giving their five pennies worth and what stuck in my mind (got to remember I was only about 11/12 years old ) was when everyone had gone and it was sitting on the table looking massive and proud with just the bare body sitting on the finished chassis no chrome parts on it just blew my tiny mind that why right to this day I just love a tamiya rc car because of that moment with the ranger! So if I ever got the chance to build one again that's what I would build it to! As good as the one down below is I never built it I just recondition it so it kinda doesn't have the attachment to me it's (was) a good one though!

IMG_20170813_175322.jpg

It would have been 1981, thats the first year the ranger was released. It was in production till 1984.

I personally would not build it, not because of any investment value, but simply because there are probably very few unbuilt ranger kits that survive now. When they are gone, they are gone for good.

J

31 minutes ago, moffman said:

IMG_20170813_175322.jpg

Looks a beauty and yes similar memories for me seeing the Rough Rider and Ford Ranger at New Brighton as a kid and longing to have one :) 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Edgar70 said:

Looks a beauty and yes similar memories for me seeing the Rough Rider and Ford Ranger at New Brighton as a kid and longing to have one :) 

Yeah but it doesn't exist anymore unfortunately! I made the crazy mistake of putting it on Ebay (yes I know mad:wacko:) it had one small problem next to the back window which you can't see on the photo it had two VERY small holes drilled through it no idea why anyway I sold it to some guy (I'll keep my thoughts to myself on that little escapade with him because this is a light hearted fun forum) but he stripped it and sold it for parts.......very sad!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, moffman said:

Yeah but it doesn't exist anymore unfortunately! I made the crazy mistake of putting it on Ebay (yes I know mad:wacko:) it had one small problem next to the back window which you can't see on the photo it had two VERY small holes drilled through it no idea why anyway I sold it to some guy (I'll keep my thoughts to myself on that little escapade with him because this is a light hearted fun forum) but he stripped it and sold it for parts.......very sad!

That is a real issue at the moment, you see quite a few people that are pulling the vintage kits apart and selling them in pieces. While I understand that there are people like myself who restore them and therefore require parts from time to time, it's still quite sad when a model as good as that is pulled apart and effectively destroyed.

J

• Like 2