SuperHotShot

Easiest Re-release build?

Hi all,

Frequent lurker but don’t post often.

I currently have brand new versions of the Super Hotshot, Top Force and Boomerang and wanted advice on which is a good starter build as i haven’t built any of them.

If there’s another model eg. Big Wig or Hotshot that are somewhat easier to start with then I’d be happy to spend my money there first as I don’t want to stuff up any of the above 3 I already own!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I’m ready to start my first project!

Easiest rere to build would probably be a Grass Hopper or Lunchbox. Both are hard bodies so no fiddly lexan to cut out. Simple friction shocks and very straightforward 2wd transmission .

• Like 3

The Grasshopper (1 or 2), the Hornet or Lunch Box would probably be the easiest to build of all the re-releases. @Bromley beat me to it ;). The Big Wig, Hot Shot, Boomerang and Super Hot Shot are all part of the same family, so their level of difficulty is roughly equal. 

Of the three you have, the Super Hot Shot is likely the most complex with the highest parts count. The Boomerang is a fairly simplified version of the Hot Shot family. Other than the small plates used to set the pinion mesh and the somewhat fiddly (for beginners) small screws on the front arms that capture the pivot balls, the Boomerang is pretty straight forward if you take your time. 

The Top Force does have the benefit of a more streamlined build process over the older Boomerang design though. The only trouble spot for a newcomer there is the ball diff construction. Adjustment is easy and foolproof (you just tighten them down fully as noted in the manual) but the components, again, are small and possibly fiddly.

I'd call it a toss up between the Top Force and Boomerang. The one good thing is, after tackling the Boomerang, you will have an easier time with the Super Hot Shot as they share drivetrains. 

Tamiya manuals are the best. If you take your time and study them as you go, you'll have no problems. It was once said that if Tamiya made a manual for the Earth, it would have taken 3 days to create vs the 7 it did ;).

• Like 2

While there are easier builds I don't think that any of those would be too challenging for a first build (unless the Super Hotshot is wildly different to the Boomerang, never built a Super Hotshot).

If you want a practice build how about a TT02B (or DT02/03 if you want 2wd)? They were my first in many many years and go together really nicely. After building 2 of them and then a Boomerang and Novafox not long after it made me appreciate the rere builds that much more. The TT02B is a simpler build than the rereleases you have. That also gives the benefit of a modern entry level buggy for other people to use, so you can save your favourites for you. We have 2 TT02B's which have taken 3 years of abuse from allcomers and they are still going strong with barely any repairs required. I'd hate to see any of the rere cars treated like that.

I've just built a Top Force and I think it is my favourite build of all my cars. Maybe the TRF102 or TA07 Pro were better, they were 2 years ago so its hard to say, but the Top Force definitely stands out as a great car to both build and drive.

Thanks for the detailed replies, I was leaning towards the Boomer as it “seemed” the easiest just going off looks.

I did forget to mention I’m not really a fan of the Grasshopper or Hornet so those are most likely out. I want to use the Tamiya carbon composite hop-up on the Top Force so that’s going to be my pride and joy and wanted some experience first!

One last noob question, is there any guides or references that list the required tools to build a kit from scratch? Happy to buy them if necessary but last thing I want is to be mid way though a build and instructions are asking for ‘x’ size screwdriver or a fluid of some sort.

Thank you again and I promise to post pics once I start the journey!

32 minutes ago, SuperHotShot said:

One last noob question, is there any guides or references that list the required tools to build a kit from scratch? Happy to buy them if necessary but last thing I want is to be mid way though a build and instructions are asking for ‘x’ size screwdriver or a fluid of some sort.

The only thing you need are screwdrivers, everything else is provided or you generally have lying around. The screws are JIS which look like phillips but are a bit different. I bought Tamiya screwdrivers, but found that my Stanely set I was using was fine.

Side cutters are useful for cutting parts off the sprues, but you could use scissors and a file. Tweasers are sometimes useful too

The kits have the grease that you need, but o-ring lube stuff is nice to have. A tub will last forever and its questionable whether its necessary. The Top Force kit also has the threadlock you need.

They come with the allen keys and hex wrench you need to assemble the kit and they work. I have a set of hex drivers and a 7mm and 5.5mm wrench which are much nicer to use. I wouldn't buy them for a couple of kits, but if you use them often its worth investing in decent tools. They aren't  cheap though, mine are Arrowmax Purple tools and I'm a few hundred in with everything...

Generally if something is required the kit comes with it though.

• Like 1

I treated myself to a set of Tamiya screwdrivers which includes the nut wrench ones. (there are 6 in total, 2 stars, i straight, 2 nut wrenches and 2 alan keys) 

Mine are blue and there are also red, not sure of the differences.

I also got a set of Tamiya curved scissors for cutting out the bodies, also a really sharp pair of straight scissors (in most houses already) and a good sharp precision blade for removing flashing of part trees and cutting out the decals.

The builds are all ok, just follow the instructions carefully. Out of your three agree the Boomerang is the one to start with. There are a few fiddly parts (as mentioned above the tiny screws on the ball joints) also the C clips to hold in the out drives in the gearboxes. There is videos on utube on how to do these safely ( in a clear plastic bag so WHEN it comes off you dont loose them)

The build is easy in my opinion, the body is the more difficult part if your wanting a really good result (again watch some utube how to videos)

most important is to ENJOY them.

Thanks all, I’ll follow the advice re: tools, had a quick look online and the Tamiya 8pc set as well as tweezers, scissors and side cutters all look reasonably priced.

I’m thinking of making the Boomer a bit of a beast using a 10.5t motor 60a esc and 2/3S Lipo.

Will an alloy shaft and metal bearings be enough or should I be upgrading any other plastic parts to hold that power?

7 hours ago, SuperHotShot said:

Thanks all, I’ll follow the advice re: tools, had a quick look online and the Tamiya 8pc set as well as tweezers, scissors and side cutters all look reasonably priced.

I’m thinking of making the Boomer a bit of a beast using a 10.5t motor 60a esc and 2/3S Lipo.

Will an alloy shaft and metal bearings be enough or should I be upgrading any other plastic parts to hold that power?

Have you driven a standard boomerang with a standard brushed 540 before? If you haven't they are pretty zippy standard even with a Nimh battery. I just picked up a rere Boomerang and upgraded to metal bearings. Its going to be a basher to share with my kids. Bear in mind a 10.5 brushless motor could destroy your differentials. I have seen guys racing theirs with 10.5 BL setups with upgraded MIP differentials, these are great upgrades but pricey. 

I race with my Rc10 worlds with a 10.5 but it has a transmission to take that kind of power. 

Good luck with the build.

16 hours ago, SuperHotShot said:

Mine is stock except for bearings and has been running a TBLE-02S, 13.5T on 17T pinion without issue. Its plenty fast on NiMH and so far no issues. It isn't run all the time though. 10.5T should be fine and suit the gearing options, 16T or 17T pinion. I don't know about 3S though, that may be too much long term.

None of the kits are too difficult, unless you really aren’t at all practical. Sure some are more intricate than others. Like has been said already the manuals are foolproof. The recommended age for kids building the kits is 11 to 14 upwards

Is the Madbull a re re or has it just remained in production. If it is Ill vote for it certainly if the instructions on the one I'm about to start are anything to go by

The mad bull did stop production for a while and then came back under the same number... So I'd say it hasn't been rere'd.

This happens when there's a change of inc. ESC usually but the mad bull and mad fighter had longer breaks as I recall