Jonnythefox87

Lunchbox transmission/ diff issues

I’m having issues with the diff/transmission on my LB, pardon my ignorance but i really need some advice on this as I’m at a loss. The differential doesn’t seem to be working properly, the axles are turning freely and not in opposite directions as they should. It’s as if the gears aren’t biting onto each other 

Ive taken the gearbox apart , degreased it and then rebuilt it a few times, there’s not parts broken or missing.I’ve tested the gears to check they’re not stripped and they run smoothly, there’s no clogging or slipping. Do I need to just order a new diff gear set? Am I doing something really obviously wrong? Has anyone heard of or encountered this issue before?

I haven’t used it in a few weeks but it was working fine the last time I did use it , I run a brushless 13.5 motor if that helps 

1 hour ago, Superluminal said:

I bet its a missing pin.....

I was thinking the same thing. Without the pin the diff won’t stay together. 

Haha yes a missing pin!  Unbeknownst to me my 3 year old son picked up the gear box casing unscrewed and tried to ‘help’ me 🤣 luckily I found the pin 

25 minutes ago, Jonnythefox87 said:

luckily I found the pin 

Good thing you did as that pin is special

• Like 2

So it turns out this problem with the transmission hasn’t fully been solved!The pin went back in the diff so the diff seems to be working well, but....... the gearbox seems to make a clicking sound at low speed or when pulling the LB by hand. There’s also a lot of play when free spinning the wheels by hand with more clicking when I stop one of the wheels. I’m thinking this could now have something to do with changing the pinion to an 18T from the standard, although it was recommended to me on here with no issues reported

Whenever I get any junior assistants involved with this type of gearbox, invariably they'll lose both the bridging pin (like u discovered) and the tubey spacer that ones on one side of the halfshaft.

Bronzey thing, 5mm inner diameter, about the same in length. 

Occasionally they'll omit bearings or locate them incorrectly off their intended mounts.

Umm... you changed pinion? How do you adjust gear mesh when holes are fixed? Did you match correct tooth profile type?

Yes I’ve got the bronze spacer that you’re talking about

in terms of the pinion it was recommended to me on here to get a bit of extra top end. No one mentioned adjusting gears or reported any issues with the 18T pinion so I assumed I just swapped them over and away I go. I guess the only way to rule this out is to try the original pinion and see if the issue goes.....

I've not used an 18T pinion in a LB , but it has been done , but you need to remove the black plastic LB motor mount in order for the 18T to mesh , was that done ? . Are the diff gears installed the right way round in the gear case with the spacer fitted in the correct order ?  . Any damage to counter gear or planet gears etc ?

I’m at a loss now, I’ve opened up the gearbox, checked the instruction manual and there’s no pieces missing......

0376C424-F852-417D-8EC3-EE9405F29671.jpeg

1A10827A-5106-48C7-B8F1-C750323BC2B2.jpeg

C9876445-35CB-4542-9B3E-D4EC0F40F227.jpeg

2 hours ago, Jonnythefox87 said:

I’m at a loss now, I’ve opened up the gearbox, checked the instruction manual and there’s no pieces missing......

C9876445-35CB-4542-9B3E-D4EC0F40F227.jpeg

is there an offset to that diff gear...? Try flipping it around the other way. 

Manual suggests the spider gear axles exit Right side of car. 

Vaguely remember once having trouble closing up this gearbox and flipping some gear solved it. 

As for using 18 pinion, doublecheck Hornet manual for pinion placement on motor shaft; pinion face should be 16mm proud of motor mounting face.

After more investigations, the diff seems to be fine. The spur and pinion seems to be slipping or not meshing properly- that’s what I think is causing the clicking at low speeds 

any thoughts what to do?

Assuming the pinion has the correct pitch as SuperL. stated , check that the pinion is not slipping on the motor shaft with loose grub screw ?

Well I’m just going by what others recommended on my other topic. No one mentioned any problems like that. I haven’t actually ran it with the 18T in it, when I was putting the pinion on I noticed the issue

34 minutes ago, Superluminal said:

Is the new pinion definitely the correct pitch module?

4 minutes ago, KEV THE REV said:

Assuming the pinion has the correct pitch as SuperL. stated , check that the pinion is not slipping on the motor shaft with loose grub screw ?

Yeah I thought that and checked it earlier, it’s on there fine . As tight as I can get it!

25 minutes ago, KEV THE REV said:

Which pinion did you buy / use ?

It’s an 18T pinion for the Hornet

Last thought . Have you tried the bolting the motor onto different options of holes on the motor if it has more than 2 holes ?