The Twingo Lord

What connector do you use and why?

What connector do you use and why?  

104 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Half the reason i still use tamiya plugs is because half my cars are vintage and tamiya plugs look right. Cant bring myself to cut them off vintage cars and convert to something else.

I dont want different batteries for different cars.

Ive never had one get hot though, not even after long sessions of fast driving. 

If i ever noticed them being overly resistive and getting hot id have a hard decision to make.

Deans were recommeneed by my LHS waaaay back when after I melted my Tamiya plugs together running an 11x2 motor. I've never looked at anything else since. Although I do like the look of XT60.

• Like 3

I use Deans connectors now. Used Tamiya exclusively when I 1st got back into the hobby, but had to many fail. Not from over heating, but the pins got loose and kept falling out of the back of the plugs every time I tried to push them together.

Deans connectors, I find them easy to solder, smaller when space is tight and extremely tough. I only run 2s and 3s occasionally. Still have a few ESCs to convert.

Feel a little victory inside each time I do one! 😁

• Like 3

XT90 for battery/ESC and 3.5mm bullets for motors.  Most of my 31 cars would only need an XT60, but I went for the 90s to make it easier to use any battery.

Deans just look a bit.... shonky. The XT series work very well for me and look a bit more professional. The sprung tongue in the deans connector looks like it could cause issues.

Some interesting info here.

As an occasional user of my cars I've just stuck with Tamiya connectors for convenience really, but even I've noticed how loose & hot the connectors can get, quickly.

I might give some of the XT60 ones a try

15 hours ago, Futura said:

I might give some of the XT60 ones a try

It was a good tip earlier about making sure it is plugged in to something when you solder it. They do get a bit loose and melty otherwise.

• Like 2

On 1/3/2020 at 1:29 PM, NobbySideways said:

It was a good tip earlier about making sure it is plugged in to something when you solder it. They do get a bit loose and melty otherwise.

I saw that, that's what is cool about this place, I'm always learning!

Got some connectors, just waiting for a more powerful soldering iron.

Deans..I race with them...little thing I do is put the tip of a small screwdriver or Allen wrench underneath the thin spring connector and bend it to make it more secure 😁

On 1/3/2020 at 1:29 PM, NobbySideways said:

After years of using holes drilled in wood, I bought one of these, helps alot.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F383228776284

• Like 3

I switched to XT60 from Deans after my 4 year old had an incident.  He was playing around with my monster truck, taking the body off and on and unplugging and removing the battery.  I was happy to let him do it and learn.  However,  somehow one of the spring tabs on the Deans got crossed over to other side and some magic smoke was produced.  I had been looking into the XT60s as a battery I just bought came with it.  That incident convinced me to switch as it is impossible to have that happen with the XT60.  Now that I have switched,  I can confirm the easier soldering is a real thing too.

• Like 2

This has made me think about using XT90’s instead of my proposed XT60’s.

I can see the 90 is bigger but is it to big?

Which one is the better choice? 

Depends, are you going to suck a few hundred amps for minutes at a time? I would imagine not. If you've got 1/8 scale electrics then yes, 90 is probably the way but for virtually all 1/10 uses xt60 is all you need.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Hobgoblin said:

Depends, are you going to suck a few hundred amps for minutes at a time? I would imagine not. If you've got 1/8 scale electrics then yes, 90 is probably the way but for virtually all 1/10 uses xt60 is all you need.

I still run NImh batteries and then  only once in a blue moon. 

The swap over was more to rid myself of the Molyneaux connections as they are a pain in the butt. 

I’ll leave the vintage models alone as they are only for shelf duty. 

XT60. 

I had hot and browning Tamiya connectors.  The female pins would widen with use. Corresponding male pin would make a tiny connection. That one spot would get real hot.  That was with NiCd in the 80s and with NiMHs in early 2000s.  When I rebooted the hobby in 2017, I tried both. 

Deans were tiny!  It always felt like buttoning up a tight new pair of jeans.  With greasy or sweaty fingers, sometimes it was difficult to pry them apart.  XT60 was similar to Tamiya in size, but much easier to solder and disconnect.  Negative side is V shaped; easier to see than steps of Deans.  And the wire sides are pipes!  You stick in the wire to solder, instead of trying to place wire on a plank. 

There are T-plugs with raised lines to make it easier to disconnect.  But for me, XT60 is perfect. (Off the top of my head, 13.5t brushless motor would draw 1A continuous, 3A burst.  That is well below 60A of XT60.  Tamiya connectors are rated for 1A continuous 2A burst--which is why Tamiya would limit the power when it comes to hotter motors with LiPo)  

kHfs268.jpg

(I don't know why the T-connector in the middle says "XT."  That's not XT60, the yellow pair is.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

XT60's on most low speed stuff 

4mm banana plugs on the go-fast stuff 

I've tried deans in the past but I'm not a big fan of them and tamiya style connectors just get too hot/wear out with use. 

Also I always remove plugs from the motor wires and solder directly from the ESC to the motor. It just looks a lot neater that way. 

• Like 2

That settles it for me then XT60 on the modern stuff which is all modestly powered and Molyneau on the period shelf duty models. 

• Like 1

I've been using Deans for a few years now, but they are a PITA to solder.  The XT60s are tempting...

• Like 2

8 hours ago, 78Triumph said:

I've been using Deans for a few years now, but they are a PITA to solder.  The XT60s are tempting...

Same here.

I do like how small Deans connectors are though, fit well in small vehicles.

I just pull on the wires to get them apart. I know, I'm a real rebel.

• Like 1

Hi....I recently switched from Deans to xt60. I was having a problem with a few of my Dean's plugs coming unplugged in the middle of a run. I don't have that problem with the xt60. Xt60 are easier to plug in and unplug. Just my two pennies.

order pcb

Tried deans but hated them.
Then switched to EC5, but they came pretty hard to get by lately around here.

Then started to fly FPV and saw every single person used XT60, so I did the same, very easy to switch batteries or give someone your batteries if theirs are dead, so I did the same for my cars.
Switched them all to XT60 and a lot of people around me did the same, so we barely ever have to stop due to not having lipo's anymore.

• Like 1