Sign in to follow this  
ThunderDragonCy

How do I mark body post position on a prepainted body?

As title, i have a pre-painted body i need to drill holes in. Anyone got any clever ideas to do this well? It's going on touring car chassis with bumper mounted front holes and regular on the axle line rear posts, specifically a TT02 and a TA06. 

Thanks! 

I've managed to do it upside-down before. Put the body down upside-down, then set the chassis in it, lien it up where you want it, then shift it either forward or back a tiny bit (around 3 mm) and mark the post locations (either just in front of, or behind, where the posts are) with a Sharpie. It's tricky, especially if the posts are a little bit bendy, but I've pulled it off a few times before.

Of course, you could also fab up some hidden flat mounts, and just attach it with velcro, and not have to drill any holes...

• Thanks 1

I usually put some paint on the body posts and then put the shell on it. After that you can see the mark inside the shell. You should verify the marks by measuring from different sides. Sometimes it needs more than one attempt.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Trinity makes some spikes that fit over the posts. Put the body on, press down and it will make dimples 

I’ve used the paint method but it’s tricky because you get one shot or you start over

• Thanks 1

Thanks everyone. I havetried paint before without muxh success, but i like the upside down idea. That at least means i can get the car lined up nicely so maybe paint or marking will work. The dimple tool sounds great but i suspect this will be one of the only prepainted shells i will get so that will get stored for future use if i end up buying more. I have to admit i like not having to mask and paint the thing! 

As the rear mounts should be in line with the axle i can double check those with a set square or something. 

I will let you know how it goes. 

Got it all done this afternoon. Used this genius technique with blue tack instead of playdough, and my body reamer to punch holes without resorting to hammers. 

Came out really nice

20191231_163520

I can see me getting some more of these. So much cheaper and less hassle than painting and stickering clear shells. Especially as this is likely to get bashed up racing. 

• Like 1