acprc

David Jun's 2005 Race winning Tamiya TNX Replica build

Found the glow plug! Even better I found it in the UK.

s-l1600-1.jpg

I mentioned before that TamiyaUSA had lost the pictures when the updated the website. Found more pictures of the car on The Internet Archive site but its just the thumbnails that were archived. So frustrating as I would love some chassis close ups. 

2020-02-29-10-25-58-Tamiya-USA-com-The-T

• Like 1

Found the RX pack in the USA on Ebay, seller wont ship to the UK....darn it!

So the truck now looks like this

IMG-6455.jpg

IMG-6456.jpg

IMG-6457.jpg

I still have a few things to sort and I am sure I would have more if I had better close up pictures.

Make the wing for the rear of the body

Cut out the air hole in the windscreen

Cut the body mounts down to size

Find some accurate race numbers and the Tamiya logo for the wing

I'm ok with the body washers size wise but they could be whiter (these are more a natural nylon colour) so will keep looking

Find another set of the MIP CVD's

Get someone in the USA who can help purchase the RX battery pack.

Almost there!

• Like 4

This is absolutely amazing. I don't like nitros that much but this build and the result is more than great. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Aerobert said:

This is absolutely amazing. I don't like nitros that much but this build and the result is more than great. 

Thanks very much

Thanks to the help of @speedy_w_beans the RX battery pack I need will soon be on its way from the USA. Whilst the TNX may never run in real anger its nice to have the little bits to make the build stand out.

s-l1600-1.jpg

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, CiganoBoxer said:

fair play Adam great resto .

Thanks, I need to get the last few parts sorted and finish this one off. Too many projects is the problem!

I just bought a

7 hours ago, acprc said:

Thanks, I need to get the last few parts sorted and finish this one off. Too many projects is the problem!

I just bought a pretty decent TNX5.2r but its a non runner , gave £70 for it, gonna get it running and use it as a runner .
I have plans to ditch the standard tamiya two shoe clutch and try and find a non tamiya 3 shoe that's compatible with the TNX 16t clutch bell .

• Like 1

I realised today that I never actually posted a picture of the "Finished" truck. I added the door numbers and the rear wing and for now she is done. If I ever get any more pictures I will review them and adjust as necessary. I do have a set of MIP CVD's to fit and these will go on soon.

IMG-8657.jpg

IMG-8658.jpg

• Like 3

Fantastic restoration - great work and your commitment to these models is very admirable

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, BuggyGuy said:

Fantastic restoration - great work and your commitment to these models is very admirable

Thanks, I'd like to say that Project "Rusty" in the other thread will be my last TGM restoration/build but I doubt it!

2 hours ago, acprc said:

Thanks, I'd like to say that Project "Rusty" in the other thread will be my last TGM restoration/build but I doubt it!

Ha - my next car is always my "last" one!

Maybe have a look at Kyosho Inferno MP5 type cars - there's a lot of different models in that family since the first MP5 in the mid nineties, a replica of the '96 world's winner would be an interesting project!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, BuggyGuy said:

Ha - my next car is always my "last" one!

Maybe have a look at Kyosho Inferno MP5 type cars - there's a lot of different models in that family since the first MP5 in the mid nineties, a replica of the '96 world's winner would be an interesting project!

I still have about 11 Tamiya nitro to get to have one of every one they have made so I think thats where my focus lies for the moment. I do have a Turbo Burns that I restored and its such a nice kit I might do something else in the future from the Kyosho buggy range.