78Triumph

Why do you suppose the Bruiser is still so expensive??

6 minutes ago, Biz73 said:

Isn't the Mountain Rider the same chassis as the Bruiser? Or is it a stripped down version? The price difference is pretty significant.

The re-releases are basically the same. I guess the price of making that half cab and Bruiser decals is pretty significant :lol:. No, I think you're basically paying all the money for the name. Which bring me back to considering this relevant quote:

19 hours ago, 78Triumph said:

As much as I love tamiya, sometimes I get the feeling they screw their customer base over, and they like it!

Of course you could say the Bruiser's price is inflated and the Mountain Rider's is low as an attempt to balance the money invested. Bruisers are more "remembered" so if they sell less at more money they can move more Mountain Riders volume at a lower cost.

• Like 3

On 1 January 2020 at 8:47 AM, junkmunki said:

I just recently bought an original bruiser in good original condition from a local seller, and i paid £350 for it. After i have done a sympathetic restoration on the paint job, i will have the best of all worlds, originality and the pleasure of restoring it.

DSC_5557.JPG

Smart move, great buy!!

On 1 January 2020 at 3:54 PM, Shodog said:

Not trying to hurt anyone’s feelings but those HG bruiser clones are junk.  I planned to buy one but after holding one in my hands you can see why they are so cheap in price.  All the metal is significantly thinner than a real bruiser.  The drivetrain is not as smooth an even the body felt cheaper.  

oh, so they're talking about that HG Toyato hunk o'junk

Phew I was thinking clone = RC4WD Trail Finder 2 :D

That's a great chassis ppls! Go buy one if you want a Hilux to run.

On 1 January 2020 at 5:45 AM, Rb4276 said:

I would like one too and i usually dont mind spending the money hence paying $400 for an egress and more for a txt2 but i would never spend almost a grand on a bruiser. Id rather build a competition monster truck for that much that would blow the bruiser away

In the 90s before all this rere & clone rot, we'd hear some crazy idiots were sometimes paying over a grand for Bruiser & Mountaineer basket cases. Often more.

I didn't trust these huge heavy fragile things being posted so I limited my acquisitions to local examples... lucky that also shielded my bidding from overseas insanity. Win-win!

• Like 1

I have both. I noticed a difference between them. the front axle installation. as attached pics. the manual in bruiser suggests 7mm spacing but that of mountain rider 6.5mm. anyone know the reason behind?

bruiser.png

mountaineer.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Saito2 said:

The re-releases are basically the same.

They're also 540 powered... not 750! <_< 

540 is wimpy, that's what my cute tiny little trucky TLT-1 has under its hood. :rolleyes:

• Haha 2

56 minutes ago, pourMoneyIntoSea said:

I have both. I noticed a difference between them. the front axle installation. as attached pics. the manual in bruiser suggests 7mm spacing but that of mountain rider 6.5mm. anyone know the reason behind?

Good catch! I never noticed that. My guess is they found the 6.5mm allowed for better spring alignment with the frame and incorporated the change into the newer Mountain Rider manual.

55 minutes ago, WillyChang said:

They're also 540 powered... not 750! <_<

I apologize for not being more specific. I meant the Bruiser re-release mechanicals are basically the same as the Mountain Rider's (re-release). There's a good bit different between the originals and the re-releases. There are even some differences between the original Bruiser and original Mountaineer for that matter. Your right though. I was disappointed not to see the return of the mighty 750 despite the "more efficient" new transmission.

• Like 1

On 1/1/2020 at 4:54 AM, Shodog said:

Not trying to hurt anyone’s feelings but those HG bruiser clones are junk.  I planned to buy one but after holding one in my hands you can see why they are so cheap in price.  All the metal is significantly thinner than a real bruiser.  The drivetrain is not as smooth an even the body felt cheaper.  

I think this could be the best time price wise to pick up an original before the market rebounds.

I wouldn't say the clones are junk I've had both and at the same time and both are better looking than they actually are to use and for the money the clone is good value yes the electric's in it are not the best and the metal I can't really tell the difference and the drive train not one of mine are any better than the other but again it is a budget rc I think I paid £180 or there abouts for my clone as opposed to £600 all in for the tamiya bruiser! Bruiser or clone it is a stunning looking truck only made better by the people many of whom are on this forum who make them into scale crawlers. I think if your in the fortunate position to be able to afford the original then go for it but my experience with both of them is generally positive! 

img37842_17072014212234_2_1100_.jpg

20191019_134857.jpg

img37842_17072014212234_2_1100_.jpg

• Like 3

I think this could be the best time price wise to pick up an original before the market rebounds.

I wouldn't say the clones are junk I've had both and at the same time and both are better looking than they actually are to use and for the money the clone is good value yes the electric's in it are not the best and the metal I can't really tell the difference and the drive train not one of mine are any better than the other but again it is a budget rc I think I paid £180 or there abouts for my clone as opposed to £600 all in for the tamiya bruiser! Bruiser or clone it is a stunning looking truck only made better by the people many of whom are on this forum who make them into scale crawlers. I think if your in the fortunate position to be able to afford the original then go for it but my experience with both of them is generally positive! 

Sorry guys don't know what happened with my post but I kept on saying unable to post try again (it was obvious lying)

1 hour ago, moffman said:

Sorry guys don't know what happened with my post but I kept on saying unable to post try again (it was obvious lying)

Wow, I was having a real deja vu moment there...:wacko:

J

• Haha 3

Guess Moffman wanted to really make sure I got his reply 😉

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, moffman said:

Sorted!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Saito2 said:

I apologize for not being more specific. I meant the Bruiser re-release mechanicals are basically the same as the Mountain Rider's (re-release). There's a good bit different between the originals and the re-releases. There are even some differences between the original Bruiser and original Mountaineer for that matter. Your right though. I was disappointed not to see the return of the mighty 750 despite the "more efficient" new transmission.

Nobody can deny, original Bruiser with 750 & giant 4000mAh battery sure had clout & bragging rights in the schoolyard... it'll TopTrump anything else out there short of a Jaco Jackrabbit :D

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Saito2 said:

Good catch! I never noticed that. My guess is they found the 6.5mm allowed for better spring alignment with the frame and incorporated the change into the newer Mountain Rider manual.

so 6.5mm spacing should be better.. I should adjust the bruiser accordingly..

On 1/2/2020 at 5:45 PM, Saito2 said:

I noticed another difference. bruiser manual suggests you paste the receiver vertically. mountain rider suggests horizontally.

2020-01-10 (1).png

2020-01-10.png