Sign in to follow this  
Treefrog

What brushless motor for neo fighter dt03 with big wheels

Just wondering if a 13.5t would be a worthwhile upgrade for my neo fighter? Currently I have blitzer wheels, Schumacher truck tyres and sports tuned motor with 17t pinion fitted and it goes great, but just thinking a brushless 13.5t would be a nice step up in performance, possibly a speed passion, but I'm using standard esc and battery so I'm thinking a 17.5T brushless might be a better option?? Anybody have a similar set-up with a brushless?

20191231_190418.jpg

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Treefrog said:

Just wondering if a 13.5t would be a worthwhile upgrade for my neo fighter? Currently I have blitzer wheels, Schumacher truck tyres and sports tuned motor with 17t pinion fitted and it goes great, but just thinking a brushless 13.5t would be a nice step up in performance, possibly a speed passion, but I'm using standard esc and battery so I'm thinking a 17.5T brushless might be a better option?? Anybody have a similar set-up with a brushless?

20191231_190418.jpg

I have exactly the same chassis and wheel setup. 13.5 works really nice with the tamiya esc. I used a speed passion in mine too and it's a lovely motor. The tamiya ESC won't handle anything more powerful. The biggest step i made was moving to lipo batteries if you haven't already. You will need a lipo alarm to monitor low voltage for the tamiya ESC, but they are less than 2 quid off ebay. If you don't fancy lipo faff (storage charging, fire bags etc) i had Overlander build me a 7 cell 8.4v nimh hump pack with the 7th cell moved forward from the centre to fit perfectly in the DT03. Get around 4000mah capacity and you'll get good punch and run time. Whatever you do it is worth learning to solder for connecting the motor and ditch the tamiya connectors. Deans or XT60 are the go to for higher power applications. 

17t pinion will run nicely, but a 13.5 will pull the 19t pinion no problem. Make sure you get the hop up steel one. 

• Thanks 1

^ What he said. ^

I also have a Speed Passion 13.5t in my big wheeled DT-03, and until a few days ago was also running a TBLE-02 ESC until I nicked it for my touring car. It ran well with no thermal issues. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Great thanks for your replies, I think I'll give the 13.5T at the cheaper end of the scale a go, can't seem to find anyone with stock of a speed passion 13.5T. I like the sound of the special offset 8.4 hump pack, this could be the next step, before lipo!

3 hours ago, Treefrog said:

Great thanks for your replies, I think I'll give the 13.5T at the cheaper end of the scale a go, can't seem to find anyone with stock of a speed passion 13.5T. I like the sound of the special offset 8.4 hump pack, this could be the next step, before lipo!

I have had good experience with these

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F392613897049

I have the 10.5 in my DT03 truck and with a 120amp esc and it's a bit much to be honest. The 13.5 with the tamiya should be mint.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

I have had good experience with these

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F392613897049

I have the 10.5 in my DT03 truck and with a 120amp esc and it's a bit much to be honest. The 13.5 with the tamiya should be mint.

Those generic "bluebottle" brushless motors aren't bad for the price. I have one running off a TBLE-02 in my DF-02, and another on its way for my TT-02 type S. They won't win you the Nationals, but for general driving and casual club racing they are quite adequate.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I like the look of the surpass v3, and price isn't so bad at roughly a 1/3 more than the generic blue type, I guess these are very similar spec to the blue bottle type but with some adjustment to play around with? Think I'll give it a go :rolleyes:

The Surpass is by all accounts a very good motor for the money, a fair bit faster than the Bluebottle. Some people use them competitively to good effect.

However performance doesn't come free - from what I have read they also pull more current than the Bluebottles and thus may thermal your TBLE-02 on a 19t pinion with big wheels. Probably fine on 17t though. Does anyone have any personal experience with them?

On 1/3/2020 at 10:33 PM, TurnipJF said:

The Surpass is any all accounts a very good motor for the money, a fair bit faster than the Bluebottle. Some people use them competitively to good effect.

However performance doesn't come free - from what I have read they also pull more current than the Bluebottles and thus may thermal your TBLE-02 on a 19t pinion with big wheels. Probably fine on 17t though. Does anyone have any personal experience with them?

Thanks Turnipjf, I ordered the surpass v3 13.5T, I'm hoping it'll work ok with the 17t, i'm sure it'll be interesting to find out, the dt03 seems made for the bigger wheels from a fun factor point of view so here's hoping this will work out nicely. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Treefrog said:

Thanks Turnipjf, I ordered the surpass v3 13.5T, I'm hoping it'll work ok with the 17t, i'm sure it'll be interesting to find out, the dt03 seems made for the bigger wheels from a fun factor point of view so here's hoping this will work out nicely. 

Good luck! Please let us know how it goes.

• Like 1

@ThunderDragonCy @TurnipJF Update.. 13.5t surpass motor installed with 17T pinion and truck tyres all to great success so far, only a small run in the dark car park so far, but it does seem to be a large step up in performance, it seems scary quick, :D

• Like 4