Sign in to follow this  
Aerobert

Bullhead / Clod Buster on axle servo saver

Happy new year to everyone!

I have converted my Bullhead to on-axle-4WS-steering. After finishing the mod I've realized that now there is no servo saver as I've mounted an metal servo horn. I used two 25 kg metal geared servos. How necessary is a servo saver for those servos? And if a servo saver is needed which one would you use? I've often read about the Kimbrough heavy duty servo saver. But also read that it is still too weak for Clod Buster steering.

Any recommendations?

5 hours ago, MadInventor said:

I use Tamiya hi torque servo saver kit. I think the part number is 51000.

Thank you. Do you have any issues? For example that the movement of the servo is not completely transferred to the wheels?

Nope, they're fine. You can adjust the resistance in them as well by adding or removing the spring bands. The only issue is the price on ebay ;)

• Thanks 1

With a metal geared 25kg serob you should be fine without savers.  I run 20-30kg servos on most of my Clods/TXT and just run aluminum horns.  Some of my older builds I have savers and they're all Kimbrough 124, that's the one you want.  The Tamiya should be OK as well, but those Kimbrough savers are tough.

• Thanks 1

I've recently swapped out my Clod servos for cheap 20Kg items from Amazon, which came with alloy horns.  I'm using those as even with Kimbrough servo savers the rear axle flops all over the place under power, making it impossible to drive.

At £15 each I don't mind if I destroy a servo while testing.  If the servos don't last I'll upgrade to 30Kg.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mad Ax said:

I'm using those as even with Kimbrough servo savers the rear axle flops all over the place under power, making it impossible to drive.

Yes, this is what I'm trying to avoid. I also use cheap 25 kg servos from Amazon. Possibly the same manufacturer as yours, they also came with alloy horns. I will try without servo savers and see what happens.

Thank you guys!

11 hours ago, MadInventor said:

The only issue is the price on ebay ;)

That's also one reason to try first without servo saver. The servo savers costs about the same as one servo.