nginsb

Avante 2011 Build

Been looking forward to this build since I bought the Avante 2011 kit about 2 years ago - finally managed to find the time to get started. Will post a few build pics here, for anyone interested or considering this kit. Initial thoughts - this thing is unreal. The quality and precision of the components are on another level, I've built a few Tamiya kits in the past and this is a very different experience. I hope I do it justice, will see how it turns out...

DSC00891.JPG

DSC00890.JPG

• Like 7

Good luck! I just finished mine two months and enjoyed it immensely! It's a beautiful kit and rewarding build. 

• Thanks 1

Front and rear gearboxes complete, and propeller shaft in. Fitting the rear gear cover seems a little tight after installing the final gear in step 14, may need some fiddling to fit properly.

DSC00902.JPG

DSC00903.JPG

• Like 3

I bought those Yeah racing rear uprights for my Egress & Avante.

I'm not sure if it because I used different bearings, but there was significant play between the uprights and the bearings. To the point where i took them off the Egress and never fitted them to the Avante. I got them from Ebay, and need to return them.

I had to tweek the position of the front Anti Roll Bar mounts of the tie bars. Its also normal for them to be under tension, unlike on the Egress.

The body seemed to have two outlines for the rear upright cut out on mine, so I got as far as those, then did the body, and all stickers before I continued. I like to get the body finished before the chassis, otherwise I get frustrated i can't use the build straight away.

I also spent a while trying to get the supplied ESC motor and wiring nice and tidy. A small piece of cut off straw did the trick :)

Enjoy the rest of the build.

20191208_230408.jpg

• Like 1

I've built a fair few over the years and they are tamiya's top shelf rc without a doubt followed by the egress👍kyosho's Optima/turbo optima are biting at its heels though! Looks like ya doing a fantastic job so far;) we need to see the finished avante if you can get a hold of the upgrade steering set and the ball diffs and torque splitter set get them make a real difference!

20190216_124851.jpg

• Like 4

Thanks for the comments and input so far - made some further progress pics below. @FoxShot, I have used the Yeah Racing aluminum hub sets - the standard bearings seem to fit ok, but do result in quite a bit of play in the shafts. I'm not certain whats normal here (or what the impact of this extra play will be), I will compare with the plastic kit versions to assess. Great wiring job on your model - very neat!
@moffman I haven't come across the upgrade parts referenced, I will have to complete this build as standard and look for these when I can as future upgrades. Great looking pics - the mirror finish on the body above is awesome - what paint is that?

DSC00917.JPG

DSC00939.JPG

DSC00940.JPG

• Like 2

I have the yeah racing aluminum hub sets for my egress and dont recall any play. I will check, i have read some people mention different tolerances with yeah racing upgrades. I have them with my tt02b ms with no play either

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, nginsb said:

Thanks for the comments and input so far - made some further progress pics below. @FoxShot, I have used the Yeah Racing aluminum hub sets - the standard bearings seem to fit ok, but do result in quite a bit of play in the shafts. I'm not certain whats normal here (or what the impact of this extra play will be), I will compare with the plastic kit versions to assess. Great wiring job on your model - very neat!
@moffman I haven't come across the upgrade parts referenced, I will have to complete this build as standard and look for these when I can as future upgrades. Great looking pics - the mirror finish on the body above is awesome - what paint is that?

DSC00917.JPG

DSC00939.JPG

DSC00940.JPG

Excellent job so far! It's a lovely build isn't it! The chrome blue body is a limited edition I got from Japan back in 2018 you applied to get one when you purchased the 2018 tamiya rc perfect guide which I did i thought i wouldn't get one because they had sold out i forgot about it then a month or so later postie knocked at my door with it with a beautiful hand written letter of apology on probably the best looking bit of paper I've ever seen saying sorry it took so long to arrive I've kept it all because it's from some tamiya executive! Bare with me and I'll look the product numbers for the hop-ups?

20180728_115540.jpg

• Like 1

Tamiya avante torque splitter set 47389,  tamiya avante racing steering set 84256 don't know if still available but I think they did re-release thema few times!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I love them the more we see on here the better👍......never get sick of looking at them (and the egress):wub:

20180726_105724.jpg

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, moffman said:

Tamiya avante torque splitter set 47389,  tamiya avante racing steering set 84256 don't know if still available but I think they did re-release thema few times!

The race steering set I have is the re re item 47388. Nice avantes everyone I am working on a original with some 2011 parts.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, MICHAELs TopForce17 said:

The race steering set I have is the re re item 47388. Nice avantes everyone I working on a original with some 2011 parts.

You know the unwritten rule?.....we need to see the finished buggy/perfect piece of model engineering! 

Front and rear dampers installed, electronics are in (now to tidy up the wiring per @FoxShotsuperb example above). Everything seems to work well, have set steering endpoints and will trim once wheels are on. Painting will probably take me a while as I need to get hold of some additional colours (also some much needed patience to do a proper job!)

DSC00956.JPG

DSC00959.JPG

DSC00963.JPG

• Thanks 1

The box art colour is a perfect colour choice I haven't seen any other colour better apart from one but when I say better probably equally as good this was my very first avante I ever built and I think it looks very sweet in gunmetal grey! 

img37842_28072012123033_1_1100_.jpg

• Like 4

Thanks @nginsb. 

I had several attempts at getting the wiring right. Nothing worked until I took both the motor wires under the top deck and up the Servo hole.

i was going to shorten the switch lead, but that ESC may be going in my Bruiser. If it fits/works/don't go LipoBrushless..

Seems I have run into a slight snag with the cam loc wheel system - the locking mechanism appears to be really loose (like these things just flap about). Is there a trick here that I have missed? Perhaps in my enthusiasm for clean edges I have inadvertently filed away some crucial part on each of the lock clips (or whatever the right name for them is) that keeps them closed. Or have simply assembled them incorrectly. Any input appreciated! Pics below.

IMG_8652.JPG

IMG_8651.JPG

• Like 1

I have a very strong notion of getting one of these, BUT it appears I have missed the boat as they are not available.

So if anyone has a lightly used one i am UK based.

10 hours ago, nginsb said:

Seems I have run into a slight snag with the cam loc wheel system - the locking mechanism appears to be really loose (like these things just flap about). Is there a trick here that I have missed? Perhaps in my enthusiasm for clean edges I have inadvertently filed away some crucial part on each of the lock clips (or whatever the right name for them is) that keeps them closed. Or have simply assembled them incorrectly. Any input appreciated! Pics below.

IMG_8652.JPG

IMG_8651.JPG

I had exactly the same on my avante I have now I think you may have cut the tiny (and I mean tiny) little bump on the back of the cam lock which makes it fit tight but if I remember I gently pinched the gap that the cam loc fits into together just enough to make it feel tight when you press it down after locking it!

• Like 1

Yes I did the same - I thought the little nub was left over moulding from the sprue and snipped it off flush.

I have aluminium cam locks now I bought off ebay from a seller in Hong Kong that are like small pieces of art.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Superluminal said:

Yes I did the same - I thought the little nub was left over moulding from the sprue and snipped it off flush.

I have aluminium cam locks now I bought off ebay from a seller in Hong Kong that are like small pieces of art.

These alloy parts that normally come from Hong Kong/ Japan when you look at them in pictures you can't get a good idea how well they are made until you see them in the flesh I bought gold alloy wheels for my avante and I thought probably just look like gold sprayed plastic ones but when I got them they just feel like you say small pieces of art or engineering the photos just don't do them justice 

20180428_102649.jpg

• Like 4

On 1/11/2020 at 12:14 PM, Superluminal said:

Thanks - thats exactly what I must have done - seemed like left over moulding and not anything functional. Lesson learned - test first, snip after. 
I was going to look at ordering replacement plastic Tamiya cam loc parts, but on second thoughts (and seeing @moffmanpic above) I will definitely rather go with an allow/aluminum option. Thanks for the feedback...now to complete the spraying of my Avante body, the last step of my build (and the one I procrastinate the most over!)

• Like 2

Took long enough - but finally completed the Avante build, very pleased with the outcome. Couple of small snags, the cam-locs as mentioned above (will get replacements for these when I can) and I completely botched the helmet decal. I'll either mask and spray something similar or get a replacement decal sheet. Also decided on an all black cockpit interior which I think looks reasonable - but slight deviation from box art. Other than that, all went rather smoothly. It an absolute stunner of a buggy, I have an Egress re-re kit which I will get building on some time in the future, but hard to think anything can compare with the Avante. Maybe I'll be surprised...

DSC01168.JPG

DSC01166.JPG

DSC01160.JPG

• Like 6