So here is my issue. The wife has lay down the law and says I've got to sell one or more RC to fund the next project. Which is fair enough i suppose. The issue is....  I like them all and don't want to sell any of them. Lol but I really want another project.

I've got 3 MadBulls - well they belong to the kids so I am not going to get rid of them.

My TB01 Rally Car is going nowhere owned it since new in 2000 and I'll probably have it forever more.

My TB01 Shelf Queen was a gift and won't be going anywhere soon.

The Ultimate TB01 will be staying for a while as I've only just finished it. Lol.

The TT02B in Metallic Pink, plenty of hop ups and was the 1st kit I bought with my own money.

The Levant. Love this truck but ideally could do with LiPos to perform fully.

I think if I was to let any go it would be the TT02B or the Levant.

Turns out I like building and tinkering with them more than actually running them.

I'd like to build a XV-01T or TB03 next I know I defo would not run a TB03.

What to do?!

12 minutes ago, TwistedxSlayer said:

So here is my issue. The wife has lay down the law and says I've got to sell one or more RC to fund the next project. Which is fair enough i suppose. The issue is....  I like them all and don't want to sell any of them. Lol but I really want another project.

I've got 3 MadBulls - well they belong to the kids so I am not going to get rid of them.

My TB01 Rally Car is going nowhere owned it since new in 2000 and I'll probably have it forever more.

My TB01 Shelf Queen was a gift and won't be going anywhere soon.

The Ultimate TB01 will be staying for a while as I've only just finished it. Lol.

The TT02B in Metallic Pink, plenty of hop ups and was the 1st kit I bought with my own money.

The Levant. Love this truck but ideally could do with LiPos to perform fully.

I think if I was to let any go it would be the TT02B or the Levant.

Turns out I like building and tinkering with them more than actually running them.

I'd like to build a XV-01T or TB03 next I know I defo would not run a TB03.

What to do?!

Ehhm... tough choice... what about getting rid of that person who set the law?

But I agree with your last words. If it was me, I would sell the Levant or the TT02B although you probably spent lots of money in hop-ups. Why? Well, those are the more common kits for a resonable price and tuning parts widely available. Even if you do a mistake, regret it or want one car back, it shouldn't be hard to do so.

Hope this helps :) 

• Thanks 1

So if you count out the Mad Bulls and the TB01s then it leaves just the TT02B and the Levant.

Now, I would argue that the Levant is closest in ethos to the Mad bulls, ergo probably the best one to keep if you want to bash with the kids and have the most fun together.  I'd also argue (despite being a big LiPo fan) that it doesn't need LiPos - do you think it needs more runtime, or more power?  You can get more runtime with a slower motor and bigger capacity NiMH, or you can get more power with a faster motor.  Either way something needs to change and unless you are philosophically opposed to LiPo batteries, it might be as well to go LiPo anyway.

[devilsadvocate]After all, a pair of LiPos and a charger does not count as another car, does it?[/devilsadvocate]

It seems like you only have two runners so I guess you're deciding which runner is going to give the most enjoyment.  That's really for you to decide.

And as you say you prefer building and tinkering - the car with the most options for tinkerings is probably best.  I've not built either TB03 or XV01T (I have an NIB XV01T for many years now but have never opened the box - not found the right time or idea yet...) but I would guess that the TB has the clearer upgrade path and more options for hop-ups.  So that's probably the next choice from your list - build it, hop it up, shift it on, do something else.

OTOH if you genuinely do like endless tinkering and an endless upgrade path then have you considered stepping outside the box?  The drift scene never ends with a built chassis and a painted shell.  For the right chassis, there's a constant supply of innovation and upgrades - more carbon and alloy than you can shake a reinforced propshaft at.  And no drift car is complete without a true scale body either.  If you like detail then you can have lots of fun.  Plus you can build a scale workshop to put it in.  The tinkering literally never ends.  You don't even have to go drifting if you don't want to - just sit back and admire, and when you're done, sell it on and start again.

In a similar vein (although bigger and arguably more expensive) are the big rigs.  For the right rig, the aftermarket part list is endless.  Alloy transmission cases, transfer boxes, driven front axles, light / sound / smoke units, motorised parts, interiors, exhaust stacks, heavy haulage towers...  No truck project is ever truly finished.

• Like 2

Advertise one for sale with a ridiculous price, then say “sorry love, I tried to sell one but couldn’t get a buyer” and then just get your new project anyway 😇

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Your only going to lose money on the TT02B

the Levant you might do ok on, either make a little or not lose money. 

Maybe you should point out to the wife, how much money you will "Lose" selling them, as opposed to how much money you'll recover. 

I've gotten to the point that the idea of selling cars and losing the money spent, I'll just go put up more shelves up to keep the it on instead, wait another week or two of wages, buy the next thing... 

I've seen the love you put into your models, and you really make them your own too, seems crazy to sell any of them, unless you really feel 0 connection anymore, I know I sold stuff in the past for "money" reasons, for the next project. 

Only to spend 5x the money 5-10 years later just to own it all over again, if there is a pinch of love still, it might be a fist full of love once it's gone. 

Juls.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Juls1 said:

I've seen the love you put into your models, and you really make them your own too, seems crazy to sell any of them, unless you really feel 0 connection anymore, I know I sold stuff in the past for "money" reasons, for the next project.

Juls.

Cheers Juls.

Well I guess I have a lot of love for them all when I really think about it. And I could always swap out the motor in the Levant or ESC. The ESC keeps cutting out with low voltage. I don't think it can handle the motor and NiHM. I do have an idea for the Levant that had sat on the back burner for quite a while now.

Well if you decide to part with it I might be interested, but I’ll probably tell you to keep it. I mean, your a TB01 nutcase and all... selling the levant would ruin all that :D

• Haha 1

Cant you just pretend to sell some of them? Hide a couple of them in the shed or garage. "Yes I've sold 3 of them darling, very sad to see them go" (start crying if it adds to the realism) She will feel bad and say "Oh buy your new project you wanted" 

Sorted lol

• Haha 1

So I've put some feelers out for the possible Levant upgrade.

The TT02B I feel may be on the chopping block. I've spent a lot of time and money on it and no doubt I'll loose out on it. I may put it up for sale and see if anyone fancies it.

Just now, Oneball1971 said:

Cant you just pretend to sell some of them? Hide a couple of them in the shed or garage. "Yes I've sold 3 of them darling, very sad to see them go" (start crying if it adds to the realism) She will feel bad and say "Oh buy your new project you wanted" 

Sorted lol

Love your idea. But I actually would need to sell them to raise the funds for the next project.

The mrs does realize you now need one of every TB chassis variant right?, I think there’s only about 23-25 odd variantions... so far... 

gee I’m glad I don’t have that TB chassis disease.. (although I’ve got some sort of Tamiya related disease I think..) 

I’ve seen a bit of that Rc hopup virus getting around the forums, seems fairly common, then there’s that vintage NIB virus, that’s a real nasty one. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, TwistedxSlayer said:

Love your idea. But I actually would need to sell them to raise the funds for the next project.

Errrrrm, sell some of her clothes or handbags she doesn't use, deny all knowledge.Then buy your next project lol.

• Haha 1

i got about 100 cars and kits stored somewhere the wife cannot find them. So don`t worry to get number 10 oder so.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, grimlock said:

i got about 100 cars and kits stored somewhere the wife cannot find them. So don`t worry to get number 10 oder so.

Do we not all ?

Got a stash of NIB's still at a mate's place.

Suddenly .. they will just.. - be there - ..

Oh no, there always been there..  you did not notice ? :) 

• Haha 1

Sell them all and buy a Full Option tank instead, it will keep you busy all year... :)

1 hour ago, TDanny said:

Sell them all and buy a Full Option tank instead, it will keep you busy all year... :)

If Tamiya made and released Challenger 2. I would. That was my tank when I was in the Army as an Royal Electrical and Mechanical Engineer. 'A' Mech.

• Like 2

Have you thought about scratch built? My Racing Sparrow (yacht) has probably cost about 2 TT02Bs but given about 100hours of build pleasure / taken over a year of my life, depending on which way you look at it. You could probably get away without selling anything too, since you can buy the parts as you go. Its also more satisfying building from nothing, compared to getting a kit and following the instructions. 

• Like 2

I bet she's got more decorative cushions or shoes than you have rc's...

At least you're not blowing it all at the local watering hole or red light district.

I would offer an opinion, but your first post pretty much tells us what can't go.

I understand the 3 madbulls for you and the kid's, I would like to do similar.

41 minutes ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

Have you thought about scratch built? My Racing Sparrow (yacht) has probably cost about 2 TT02Bs but given about 100hours of build pleasure / taken over a year of my life, depending on which way you look at it. You could probably get away without selling anything too, since you can buy the parts as you go. Its also more satisfying building from nothing, compared to getting a kit and following the instructions. 

I built my Ultimate TB01 from parts. I have thought about scratch built but I've no idea what to build.

6 hours ago, Juls1 said:

The mrs does realize you now need one of every TB chassis variant right?, I think there’s only about 23-25 odd variantions... so far... 

gee I’m glad I don’t have that TB chassis disease.. (although I’ve got some sort of Tamiya related disease I think..) 

I’ve seen a bit of that Rc hopup virus getting around the forums, seems fairly common, then there’s that vintage NIB virus, that’s a real nasty one. 

It's not a disease...... Its an illness 😵

• Like 1

Any side jobs you can do to make extra coin?  My ex wife would never let me spend money on r/c with joint account. I did bicycle maintenance on the side.  Buying and selling parts and I did a couple business ventures.  This way she couldn’t say a thing about what I spent my money on.  Glad that witch is gone because now my money is my money. 

• Like 1

Scale it up! How much do the kids like their mad bulls? Maybe they (& you) could sell those and get 3 new kits you all can build together for 3X the fun.

7 hours ago, Shodog said:

Any side jobs you can do to make extra coin?  My ex wife would never let me spend money on r/c with joint account. I did bicycle maintenance on the side.  Buying and selling parts and I did a couple business ventures.  This way she couldn’t say a thing about what I spent my money on.  Glad that witch is gone because now my money is my money. 

Unfortunately not. I barely have enough time to tinker with RC now without having a side John to earn a little extra