Sign in to follow this  
Claypole

Charger Question

Hello everybody, I’m brand new to RC cars, and have just started to build a Sand Viper. The build is going ok, and I’m also getting all the electrical stuff together.

Today I took delivery of a Sky RC e680 charger and tested it on a 3500 mah nimh pack. It charged it just fine, at 1C, but I do have a question. Periodically, say every 15 seconds or or so, the charge current would drop down to zero, pause for a coupe of seconds, and then rise again to 3.5 amps.

I’m assuming this is normal behaviour, and is how these sort of chargers work, presumably to keep heat build up in the battery to minimum? As I say, it charged ok, took about an hour and the battery only got moderately warm...

4 hours ago, Claypole said:

Hello everybody, I’m brand new to RC cars, and have just started to build a Sand Viper. The build is going ok, and I’m also getting all the electrical stuff together.

Today I took delivery of a Sky RC e680 charger and tested it on a 3500 mah nimh pack. It charged it just fine, at 1C, but I do have a question. Periodically, say every 15 seconds or or so, the charge current would drop down to zero, pause for a coupe of seconds, and then rise again to 3.5 amps.

I’m assuming this is normal behaviour, and is how these sort of chargers work, presumably to keep heat build up in the battery to minimum? As I say, it charged ok, took about an hour and the battery only got moderately warm...

Aye, pulse charging is normal, and beneficial to the battery. Apparently it helps prevent electrolyte migration. (No idea what that is, but I gather that it is bad...)

• Like 1

10 hours ago, TurnipJF said:

Aye, pulse charging is normal, and beneficial to the battery. Apparently it helps prevent electrolyte migration. (No idea what that is, but I gather that it is bad...)

Thanks very much, I thought it was something like that, but he instruction manual doesn't mention it it. In fact, I have noticed how manufacturers of battery chargers don't tend to go into detail on their charging algorithms...