Super ally

Advice on which re release to build.

Hi, this is my first post and i was wanting advice on the best re re to build as i last built a tamiya in 1988.I built a hornet and blackfoot back in 1988 but not confident about building one now as it was a long time ago.I was thinking about a wild one what do you members think.Any advice would be great.Thanks.

• Like 1

Tamiya instructions are just as good as ever, if anything even better, so if you built a Blackfoot BITD, you shouldn't have any difficulty with any re-re, or any modern chassis for that matter. Think rather about what you would like to have as a finished vehicle, and let that guide your choice.

• Like 1

Welcome back to tamiya, you never really left right?

I would just buy what you like the look of. The manuals are so good that you will be able to build any of the rereleases. The Wild One is a great looking buggy. I find that all/most of the rereleases have very similar performance too so it doesn't make tol mich difference. There are some exceptions like the Egress and Top Force which do perfork better, but they still are nothing like a modern buggy.

One important thing is to know the weaknesses. I didn't know about the Monster Beetle/Blackfoot weak diffs, so while its an easy fix with the MIP ball diff, its not exactly cheap at about USD60 (especially when your 4yo got it for xmas and then is sad and you have to explain to your wife that you didn't do your homework and his expensive present just got expensiver). The Hotshot series, Novafox, Top Force/Mantaray, Hornet/Grasshopper etc don't have any major flaws that I'm aware of and can be built stock other than the mandatory bearing upgrade.

4 minutes ago, TurnipJF said:

Tamiya instructions are just as good as ever, if anything even better, so if you built a Blackfoot BITD, you shouldn't have any difficulty with any re-re, or any modern chassis for that matter. Think rather about what you would like to have as a finished vehicle, and let that guide your choice.

Thanks for your advice.

3 minutes ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

Welcome back to tamiya, you never really left right?

I would just buy what you like the look of. The manuals are so good that you will be able to build any of the rereleases. The Wild One is a great looking buggy. I find that all/most of the rereleases have very similar performance too so it doesn't make tol mich difference. There are some exceptions like the Egress and Top Force which do perfork better, but they still are nothing like a modern buggy.

One important thing is to know the weaknesses. I didn't know about the Monster Beetle/Blackfoot weak diffs, so while its an easy fix with the MIP ball diff, its not exactly cheap at about USD60 (especially when your 4yo got it for xmas and then is sad and you have to explain to your wife that you didn't do your homework and his expensive present just got expensiver). The Hotshot series, Novafox, Top Force/Mantaray, Hornet/Grasshopper etc don't have any major flaws that I'm aware of and can be built stock other than the mandatory bearing upgrade.

Thanks for your reply,i was just a bit nervous about not being able to build it right after so many years.I think the blackfoot and hornet were quite easy back then but i wanted to try something new.I bought a re re hotshot off ebay which was new build about 6 months ago which got me back into the hobby again.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Super ally said:

Hi, this is my first post and i was wanting advice on the best re re to build as i last built a tamiya in 1988.I built a hornet and blackfoot back in 1988 but not confident about building one now as it was a long time ago.I was thinking about a wild one what do you members think.Any advice would be great.Thanks.

Hi, and welcome like all the guys above have said the re-releases are just if not better to build than the originals back in the day tamiya still has brilliant instruction manuals so absolutely have no fears of building just go with what you really want to see built as the finished buggy/truck! The wild one is indeed a very handsome buggy with a lot of potential just look on this forum to what people have done with them the monster beetle range again are good looking buggies but do have that weakness in the diff but still can put up with a sport and torque tuned motor with little fuss I've ran my one with sport tuned motor and have had no issues with the diff!, like I say go with what you think looks good and more importantly your budget and then start learning about whatever you bought  from there!..........just remember though it's an unwritten rule we need to see the finished buggy/truck and then the tamiya bug will have well and truly embedded itself:rolleyes:

9 hours ago, moffman said:

Hi, and welcome like all the guys above have said the re-releases are just if not better to build than the originals back in the day tamiya still has brilliant instruction manuals so absolutely have no fears of building just go with what you really want to see built as the finished buggy/truck! The wild one is indeed a very handsome buggy with a lot of potential just look on this forum to what people have done with them the monster beetle range again are good looking buggies but do have that weakness in the diff but still can put up with a sport and torque tuned motor with little fuss I've ran my one with sport tuned motor and have had no issues with the diff!, like I say go with what you think looks good and more importantly your budget and then start learning about whatever you bought  from there!..........just remember though it's an unwritten rule we need to see the finished buggy/truck and then the tamiya bug will have well and truly embedded itself:rolleyes:

Cheers, hopefully i will have something good to show you.

• Like 1

If you fancy a ReRe build to kick off a serious addiction, the Blitzer beetle is a good start and still drives very well despite its ageing design. It can take some proper modern brushless power too. The Wild One is a great buggy but I find it not as forgiving to drive as the Blitzer and less tolerant of powerful motor set ups.

If you want something a little more challenging to build then the ReRe Boomerang is a cracking platform. This will take reasonable power systems and still drives very well on most surfaces. Good looking classic buggy too.

Bromley

On 1/5/2020 at 1:42 AM, Bromley said:

If you fancy a ReRe build to kick off a serious addiction, the Blitzer beetle is a good start and still drives very well despite its ageing design. It can take some proper modern brushless power too. The Wild One is a great buggy but I find it not as forgiving to drive as the Blitzer and less tolerant of powerful motor set ups.

If you want something a little more challenging to build then the ReRe Boomerang is a cracking platform. This will take reasonable power systems and still drives very well on most surfaces. Good looking classic buggy too.

Bromley

Thanks for your help,i like the boomerang as well as the wild one but i want to keep the build stock.The stock motor will be plenty for the buggy i build.

I know the attraction of the re-res. My first car in 37 years is a TT02B, I really liked the look of them and when I started with Tamiya it was before the 4WD era. 
However the attraction of a Frog (I always wanted one) was very strong, as was a Hornet since I had one of those. 
I have now added a M07 (after just three weeks) so another new chassis, but I can certainly see a classic in my future. 
If Tamiya re-res the Super Champ / Fighting Buggy I’m getting one; it was my first car!

If the Wild One is your first thought, get one, you won't be disappointed. After that you will be hooked and start buying kits and building like crazy.

• Like 1