RCRod

Tamiya Super Stock motor bearings

I suppose you could. Is it worth it, though? If it is a proper, fixed-timing stocker, then the amount of extra performance you'd get out of such an operation would be minimal. Back when BRCA*-mandated 27T £15 motors were a thing, although fitting bearings might have provided a little extra run time in an era of 1200mah SCRs, doing so would have rendered the motor ineligible for competition.

Nowadays, with batteries of up to 5000mah capacity, runtime isn't really an issue and machine-wound brushed motors are so cheap they're virtually disposable. So have a go by all means, if the technical challenge interests you. But I wouldn't expect much in the way of tangible returns for your efforts.

*ROAR in the US, although I imagine their stock motor rules may have been different.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RCRod said:

Has anyone swapped the bushings for bearings in a Super stock motor? 

Someone's been watching Tamiya Legends on you tube, I have thought about it but I havent got around to it yet, mainly as I dont have spare bearings and I am unsure as to the size of the replacements

I believe most 540 motors use R2ZZ bearings, but I’d make sure to measure before you buy. 

I’ve been thinking about doing this with a CR-Tuned just for kicks, but haven’t got around to it... mostly as I’m unsure how to best bend out the metal tabs that secure the end bell. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have on a superstock BZ on my dark impact - they are tiny bearings and it was quite easy to do. No idea if it makes any difference as I have never run it with the brass bushings (but it makes me feel warm and happy inside which is a feeling worth a billion bearings x blue anodising)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

I had watched a dyno test on YouTube.  I cannot remember what kind of a motor it was. But the difference was significant.  Almost 2A with bushings, down to 1A with bearings. I was surprised that there was almost no difference in RPM.  (So @Yalson is right, it could impact the run time, not the performance)  But I wondered if there would be a difference in torque, since it takes more energy to run it with bushings.  Since these bearings are so cheap, it was worth swapping, at least in my case. 

I think @Superluminal's link is correct.  In 2002 or so, I had measured the bushings, ordered bearings in metric because Mabuchi is Japanese and all... but they did not fit.  Ordered again in inches and they fit.  

So did any of you find a source for these bearings and can you confirm the size? I have 3 Super Stock motors in various runners and this sounds like a fun little project for a small outlay, plus they could do with a good clean whilst I'm at it.

Here is the Tamiya Legends video for anyone else who hasn't seen it:

Its those ones from RCbearings in my link above. Have done three superstock motors with them now - dead easy to do.

12 hours ago, ChrisRx718 said:

So did any of you find a source for these bearings and can you confirm the size? I have 3 Super Stock motors in various runners and this sounds like a fun little project for a small outlay, plus they could do with a good clean whilst I'm at it.

Muchmore motor bearings fit too, they just sell a set for brushed motors. They'll be cheaper from RCBearings though

Hi,

I did the upgrade on the TZ :

before Bearing upgrade Mesured Unloaded, and a little "break-in" Peak : 43 Watts Max Watts at top speed : 34/35 Watts Timing set à 0°

After Bearing upgrade Peak : 34 Watts Max Watts at top speed : 24/25 Watts Timing set à 0° Gain : 10 Watts : 29% less ! And less heat too !!!

• Like 4

Very cool upgrade with the numbers to prove it. I've though about doing this to some of my old Trinity motors (i.e. Green Machine 2/3)

16 hours ago, 94SRUNNER said:

Very cool upgrade with the numbers to prove it. I've though about doing this to some of my old Trinity motors (i.e. Green Machine 2/3)

Haven't tried it on a Tamiya motor, but I have swapped bearings into many others including Trinity, and it's a good upgrade for any of them.

Every time, it feels like it sets the motor free... simply better in every way.

With bearings available so cheap and easy these days, it has become a standard part of my restoration process (if the motor doesn't already have them).