Andyfish2000

polishing schumacher silver shocks

So I am about to start my restorations of an original Procat and XLS, and my starting point is to polish up a spare set of shock bodies ahead of the strip down.  Has anyone successfully managed this and if so what process did you go through please?  I have a set of compounds and about to order a load of new heads for the dremel as well as new polishing mops for my new 3" bench grinder but would like, in the interests of efficiency, to use previous lessons learnt if poss.  Looking at the shocks I have the surfaces seem to have 2 shades on them.  Did they have a coating originally that could be worn, or could it be oxidisation perhaps?

Thanks

Thanks G.

Not great photo but hopefully this will help.  I did a quick polish above the "nut" which came up great.  Not sure what to do with the rest though.  Ma have to get some stronger compound and see what happens.

1464231575_SchumacherShock.JPG.582b05708e9a4e6877eaccc48b2350ad.JPG

I polish all my aluminium schumacher parts with "autosol" metal polish. Long story but my grandad used that stuff on chrome bumpers in the 80's I found his old tube in the garage all dried up. After searching the web I found it still exists and got some more. It is incredible stuff. You should try it. 

• Like 1