Sign in to follow this  
wolfdogstinkus

Bellcrank steering could be used as self right?

I had a crazy idea. In fact I have them all the time but this one is Tamiya related.

So I could mount a steering bellcrank system inside the lunchbox with the length adjusted. I need 20cm of lift from the side panel to right the lunchbox.

So it sounds simple?. Right?

A metal or plastic bar, same width as the shell, two small holes in the shell, hidden by rubber flap's. Servo in middle with bellcrank system set up to provide 20cm movement each way. 

All in my head at moment. I know it won't be that easy, but I'm trying to convince myself it will be. Lol. 

Might be better fitted in the bottom of the chassis tub actually?

Thoughts?

Nice idea , sounds like something I've seen on Robot wars . Or , take a best mate with you to 'right' the LB when it turns turtle , less work for you  ;)

• Like 1

Less weighty, would be to fit a roll loop round the back of the chassis that can clip off when you aren't driving it :D

I actually used a spare ariel rod for this on my Frog when i was a Kid

6 hours ago, FoxShot said:

Less weighty, would be to fit a roll loop round the back of the chassis that can clip off when you aren't driving it :D

T has provided "body reinforcement" for underneath the Lunchbox Mini, to handle stoppee-rollovers :) have seen a JP privateer on YouTube added an exocage to let it roll fully back onto its tyres. 

Mini looks more fun that Big Original 

You mean the little cardboard ",ramp" that comes with the mini kit?

The instructions show that fitted to the top of the roof on the outside.

This bit?

spacer.png

One of my boys has his fitted, the other, I didn't want to cover the sharpie job on the roof as it matches the big one.

ldwlOof.jpg

5KT62Eo.jpg

That would be it, dare say. :) Only noticed the printing on the cardboard when, halfway thru building LBmini something urgent cropped up & I had to clear the bench pronto, shovelled everything back into kitbox. Have yet to resume :( 

Remind me again, how does big LB usually fall over anyway? At most mine would get unstable then kneel over on a front wheel, get stuck lying on its side. Never got it to wheelie nor forward roll stoppee. Don't remember it ever going turtle, stuck on its back.

Maybe it just needs some outriggers...

preview-928x522.jpg

• Like 1

@WillyChang Funny you should say that. I got my ,8 year old a lunchbox junior as well as the mini. And he said " can't we put spikes on the mini like the junior ,(mini 4wd).  But then he says" that won't work as the differential will just spin the opposite wheels. And I think the little genius is right. 

I did suggest doing it and tightening up the differential a bit but I am waiting for him to tell me how to do it. Lol

He also asked if we could make a bumper with springs on. 

The road rash on the shell and the rolling over is mostly my fault for attempting speed runs at night with a castle 4600,kv and 3,slipo.

My ,boy can drive it great.

So I did this

The shell had nearly wore through at the corners from cartwheeling down the tarmac.

spacer.png

Fashioned a spring holder from old servo saver parts.

spacer.png

I had a few old bumpers, some plastic bushings and ,M4 hardware.

Put heat shrink on some of the thread, heated it and greased it up 

spacer.png

BANG. Not tested it yet. It seems the ESC is given the servo max volts. Melted 2 so ordered a ubec device thingy.

spacer.pngfully adjustable bouncy spoiler, might make it worse,?. Lol it be bouncing down the road now instead of skidding.

I supported the inside of the body with a piece of aluminium.

This is like the self-righting arm as used on the T301 models but the servo is direct instead of using the steering & gravity like on the trikes. Be cool to see what you come up with!