Sign in to follow this  
shawnmc

Tamiya Bruiser paint question

Hi,

I am in the process of painting the Bruiser, I was told by my LHS to spray the clear coat (gloss, semi gloss and gloss where applicable) over the decals and not to apply decals after spraying the clear coat as the decals will come off at a later date. After reading the Tamiya USA TS clear coat product page

https://www.tamiyausa.com/shop/spray-ts-plastics/ts-79-semi-gloss-clear/100ml-spray-can/

It says the clear coat can damage some decals and to test it out first before applying. Has anyone used TS clear coats on top of the decals without any issues? Please let me know your recommendations.

Thanks

Shawn

Sounds like your LHS is getting confused between decals that you'd use on a static kit, and vinyl stickers like the Bruiser comes with. For decals you'd apply then clear coat over. This works as they are very thin. For stickers you apply them after the clear coat, just like you'd do on a real truck. The stickers are much thicker than decals and don't conform to the recesses and ridges in the body as well.

Also, you only need gloss clear. anything that's semi-gloss is done with semi-gloss paints, like the bumper, window rubbers etc.

decals-vs-stickers.thumb.jpg.0ed054dfbcd1c35a827fc973c0a0382b.jpg

I clear coat all my hard bodies after putting the stickers on, just light coats first

Ever had any issues with the stickers lifting or shrinking or the clear coat not bonding to the sticker or does it all just blend together?

Thanks Truck Norris for clearing this. I will apply clear coat and then put the stickers on as recommended. You still apply semi gloss clear coat over the semi gloss bumper right?'

mtbkym01 did you ever have any problems clear coating over stickers?