ThunderDragonCy

Sunday hand waving - How would you build a modern competitive 4wd mini touring car oit of tamiya parts?

My local club has got a growing MTC 1/12th touring car class that sits above the mini class. They are proper 4wd touring cars, just smaller! Got my wondering if you could mash up some M07/08 arms and driveshafts with TA07 or TB05 bits to make a tamiya one. Kinda like a modern TA05 M Four, but for a proper 17.5 motor. 

Whqt do you think? 

The M Four would probably be better, if you can find one. I’m sure there’s a 380 motor out there to get it to fly. What about a MF01?

5 hours ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

My local club has got a growing MTC 1/12th touring car class that sits above the mini class. They are proper 4wd touring cars, just smaller! Got my wondering if you could mash up some M07/08 arms and driveshafts with TA07 or TB05 bits to make a tamiya one. Kinda like a modern TA05 M Four, but for a proper 17.5 motor. 

Whqt do you think? 

I don't see why you couldnt make a smaller TA07 with a custom shorter double deck carbon chassis, like the TA07MS or the Exotek RS7. All components from the Pro or R should fit (you want standard width right?) and you would just need a shorty battery and shorter belt.

Or, buy the Xpress mini

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

I don't see why you couldnt make a smaller TA07 with a custom shorter double deck carbon chassis, like the TA07MS or the Exotek RS7. All components from the Pro or R should fit (you want standard width right?) and you would just need a shorty battery and shorter belt.

Or, buy the Xpress mini

Given that those Xpress are £129 i can see why its such a popular class all of a sudden! 

34 minutes ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

Given that those Xpress are £129 i can see why its such a popular class all of a sudden! 

The onroad class i havent been to for  year introduced as a class. 21.5T blinky, so essentially touring stock. Not sure why, they should have made it 17.5T or 25.5T as why have 2 classes essentially the same. Was popular though, i think the serious guys were stoked to be able to buy a cheap chassis kit and have close racing without buying  M05 or TT02

My 2 cents (as owner of a BSR Racing M.rage)

• Custom lower and upper CF deck holding a shortie lipo on one side, and the electronics on the other side.
  • Driveline out of a TRF420, but with a shorter belt (obviously)
  • Custom arms, because normal M-arms will not work with the droop cutouts in the chassis
  • TRF420 C-hubs and steering knuckles (because the TA07 C-hubs are fragile)
  • M-chassis dual-jointed universals up front (so you can run a spool if needed) and steel ones in the back.
  • The laydown motor mount precludes most brushed motors, but I'd run something like a 17.5 indoors, or maybe a 13.5 outdoor. You lose a bit of wheel speed due to the smaller tires, so you're gonna want to gear it heavy.
  • (Optional): adapter plates so the car has regular M-chassis body mount locations.

I mean, you'd have a pretty high-end car, and all Tamiya needs to produce are two different CF chassis plates, and 4 shorter arms. The upper arms are turnbuckles, so just use shorter ones. For different wheelbases you could even drill up 3 different sets of screw holes for the rear bulkheads, and sell 3 lengths of belt. And since you're using standard TRF arms, you could even go narrow front, wide rear (with normal TC arms) for body sets like the Renault 5 and the VW Golf Kamei.

• Like 2

@ThunderDragonCy, your question has already been answered by 3Racing.  Sakura M4 Sport and Sakura M4 Pro are what you seek.  The Sakura M4 Sport was $79 USD from RCMart last year.

• Like 1

I have raced on this class for nearly a year and i have 2 carten m201r cars. Previously had a m-rage . Great class. Quick cars. The Mtc nationals are coming to my club again in Torquay this year

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Carts said:

I have raced on this class for nearly a year and i have 2 carten m201r cars. Previously had a m-rage . Great class. Quick cars. The Mtc nationals are coming to my club again in Torquay this year

Yeah, it's really gaining popularity at my club, as the tight tracks suit 1/12th scale and people can just pop the 17.5 kit from their TC in. Maybe next winter for me. The kits are nice and cheap, but once i finish my TT02 TYPE S I will have two 1/10th TCs which is more than i need! 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

Yeah, it's really gaining popularity at my club, as the tight tracks suit 1/12th scale and people can just pop the 17.5 kit from their TC in. Maybe next winter for me. The kits are nice and cheap, but once i finish my TT02 TYPE S I will have two 1/10th TCs which is more than i need! 

Since when has a new car been about need?

The thread about the TRF415 coverted to 911(on my tablet, too hard to go find it and link) is basically what you are looking at right? Looks like it should be easy for you...