rjoseph244510

GPS speedometer?

Hi guys

I'm looking for an affordable (£30-50) speedometer so that I can use to record the top speeds of my cars. Can anyone suggest a decent one that's not too bulky to temporarily fit on my cars? Any help would be fully appreciated.

Best regards

Rod

I run the skyrc gps speed meter, works great, small and light weight so you can Velcro it easily to the body. Google earth overview, when connected to a computer means you can see the run, and pull speed data off each part.

+1 for the SkyRC 015. Mine has survived many crashes >80kph and still works!!!.  A couple of times the cover has come off, but it just snaps back on. Ended up putting a light bead of hot glue around the edges to help absorb future impacts.

• Thanks 1

On 1/6/2020 at 11:34 PM, LeftyAl said:

+1 for the SkyRC 015. Mine has survived many crashes >80kph and still works!!!.  A couple of times the cover has come off, but it just snaps back on. Ended up putting a light bead of hot glue around the edges to help absorb future impacts.

They are tough ole things! 

Thanks for the hot glue tip 👍

Some, outtakes...

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Wooders28 said:

They are tough ole things! 

Thanks for the hot glue tip 👍

Some, outtakes...

I found an interesting issue with charging the GPS. If I use a USB charging station, it wont charge.... but if I connect to my laptop.. it will charge. The charging station outputs 1.1 to 2.1A so wondering if there is some sort of surge protection on the GPS that kicks in if the amperage is >500mA. Maybe I've got a weird one or a suss cable. Interested if anyone else has experienced the same. 

14 hours ago, LeftyAl said:

Interested if anyone else has experienced the same. 

I've only ever charged mine off my house plug socket, as they've got usb ports built in, with no issues (they are the old style, and are 1.1A).

I have heard of people having issues with the single cell Lipo not holding it's charge after a few years use, so using the balance lead to pull 3.7v from, eliminates the need for charging too. (Although a new 1 cell are real cheap..)

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Wooders28 said:

I've only ever charged mine off my house plug socket, as they've got usb ports built in, with no issues (they are the old style, and are 1.1A).

I have heard of people having issues with the single cell Lipo not holding it's charge after a few years use, so using the balance lead to pull 3.7v from, eliminates the need for charging too. (Although a new 1 cell are real cheap..)

Did some testing yesterday and it looks like it may have been a suss usb lead. 

• Like 1