GTOLDMAN

Monster Beetle.. 1990ish

Just wat to say hi.. I have been waiting for my wee boy to be old enough for me to pull out my old monster beetle and must have had a hard life before was put away.. 

I am looking to see where is the best place in uk for spare parts 

Hi GTO . Welcome to the club . Best place for MB parts is eBay as the MB has been re-released , so parts are plentiful . Post up some pics of the old MB   :)

The very first thing you will want to do is to replace those godawful hex drive shafts and cups.......the very spawn of satan hisself.
Replace with dog bones. Also ball race it if you haven't already.

Welcome back!

1. Clean it up and put it on a shelf...  Look at it when you're reminiscing with beers and friends...  Get your rocks off!
2. Buy re-release Monster Beetle and build that.  Upgrade as need be...

I found my old Frog in my parents garage and spent way more fixing it than I would have if I had kept it original and bought a re-release...

Buy your boy a Tamiya Mad Bull...

Just my advise...

Terry

• Like 2

I have to agree with Frog Jumper here...

Clean your MB up and savour the vintage memories. 

A rere will save you a lot of headaches and money in the long run. 

Buy the boy a Lunchbox, Madbull or a Hornet or similar and have fun tearing it up together.

Bromley 

I've bought cars in that kind of condition before and fixed them back up to running condition, and yes it's frequently more than the original car is worth.
The other guys in thread are not wrong about just getting another kit and leaving the old one on the shelf after a clean up.

I just enjoy fixing them up, returning them from the dead, I find it rewarding I guess.

Perhaps I impress myself a bit too easily.

Anyway, whatever you decide will be right.

It does still run and will never be pretty.. I think will patch it up and not worry about damage and will give the loon a chance to get used to controlling then will look at a new one we can build together.as something I have fond memories of.. 

The only right answer to this is what you want to do. It's not like it's a 58001, parts are easily available if you break it and it'll be fun to play around with.

Further down the road you could restore it with your wee boy which would be a nice, easy project (see above re parts) or as you say - buy something new (or old) and work on that together. What's important is you both enjoy it! ;) 

• Like 1

You are where I was 6 months ago.

i agree with frog jumper, in fact he gave me loads of great tips when I modified mine.

i bought the cva shocks, metal bearings, ball diff (horribly expensive) and modern esc/servo etc. 

it got my little ones interested and was a great test mule but after buying my youngest a dt03 neo fighter for Christmas it’s just better in every way and more fun.

im now selling all three of my vintage cars to someone who will restore and appreciate them whilst I will use the money to buy a tt02b and have fun bashing with my daughter.

enjoy and have fun.

I have to agree with leaving retro . I bought a vintage MB many years ago and it has sat on my shelf since , I look at it and power it up from time to time . I like the old MSC and the MB's originality . I did source vintage parts for it back in the day as that was before the re-re ( man , trying to find a decent front nose with unbroken light bar hoops was nigh-on impossible , but I got one ) nothing has been done to the MB and probably nothing will , I'll just enjoy the as-is nostalgia . If I want a re-re I'll get one , but I've got plenty of other toys to play with for now . As said before , buy a run around Tamiya RC for some RC action , then go stare at your MB and admire it

monster beetle.jpg