Gazzalene

Help/advice on LiPo packs and buying

I intended to use Lipo packs BUT I have been using NiMh packs for set up etc. I now need to buy LiPo`s so I have a few questions.

I have 3 models so far, Lancia delta XV 01, Bettle Blitzer and Fatfox truck tt01.  Bettle is brushed other 2 BL. 

It seems there are 2 kinds of packs normal and hard case? My LHS is mainly Aircraft so the packs they have are all the "normal" heat shrink kind. no hard case at all. I will use 2s and could prob find a pack there that would fit the spaces ok. BUT should I be looking at hard case only?

The last question is , if I need hard case type OR my LHS does not have suitable packs I will need to buy online. I have read that posting these can be a issue from some UK stores. Others say buying from overseas is easy,i never have much luck doing that. Where do you guys buy from when using online? some recommendations on vendors and pack type and brand would really help please

Definitely get hardcase. Clubs here won't allow anything but hard case packs, I think the softcases risk getting piereced in a crash.

I buy mine locally but friends have bought from hobbyking a lot before. They will only ship them by sea though so they take ages. I suspect other sellers won't care and will just post as normal. Banggood and RCMart won't ship batteries though.

Pack type - do you need those round ones like the NiMH packs or can you use normal square ones? I always buy shorties as they fit where a stickpack will with some foam to pack it and shorties have big capacity now. I do have a gensace round one which fits my Top Force and Boomerang, but not the F103. I think Core RC do a really small round one that is the size of an old 1400mah NiCD. @TurnipJF has them I think.

Jonathon, you saying about round stick type got me thinking.  I have just finished the chassis on the FatFox truck, TT01 and that had gussets in the batt box that would stop a square pack fitting so I got rid of them. The Beetle looks very old school so I think plenty of room for square,The XV01 is another story, the chassis is very mouded so I will need to check that. I was hoping that I could get the same packs for all models.

Is there a preferred capacity OR just get the highest that will fit? not racing just fun.

Had a quick look at the packs around my comfort zone of £30 each,i know I am cheap.

Can get several brands around £30 at the 5000mah size.  Peak racing,core rc,gens ace,voltz,absima

Overlander will drop to 4000mah at that price.

Out of the  Peak racing, core rc, gens ace, voltz and absima are any to be avoided?  The Absima brand come with xt60 which my esc has.

I was going to ask about the cable exit,i have seen the style above AND some that seem very square hard plastic that the cables exit the top corner.

I am trying to find a shop local ,ish  I can buy 4 or 5 packs from rather than 2 orders on line, only 2 packs per order!

I realise it horses  for courses etc BUT what should I be looking at 3000/4000 or 5000mah is there any pro or cons?

Bigger capacity = longer runtimes & higher cost, all else being equal. In the days of NiMH there was also typically a weight penalty, but I am not sure if the same goes for LiPo.

The only downside of longer runtimes is that your ESC and motor cooling need to be up to the task as they won't get a rest as often as they would if you were stopping to change batteries more regularly.

Looks like these are my options for shop bought. Any to avoid brand or capacity etc?

Could not do multiple links,sorry

0a1b1043f0eebc91e9700145b0861b5e_image_260x173.jpg

2ee4b4567419246ae59f6e0a6a26c75a_image_260x195.jpg

03fa50359b9c8a6834ac987ee387dba9_image_260x260.jpg

95ad885856f573c73a89900c0f1549fc_image_260x195.jpg

b96e854269277f462bcecce51771b345_image_260x172.jpg

d98e5416031e4ef6afb5844f05231a69_image_260x260.jpg

The only ones I would actively avoid are the "Bashing" packs due to their oversize balance plugs which tend to get in the way. I also wouldn't really bother with anything under 4000mAh in this day and age. And of course the rounded cases have a better chance of fitting older models than the rectangular ones do.

On 1/6/2020 at 8:29 PM, Gazzalene said:

Had a quick look at the packs around my comfort zone of £30 each,i know I am cheap.

The Core rc that  @TurnipJF posted a link for ,would be my suggestion,  it'll fit, and give you an idea how much wiggle room you've got, so you can check the sizes of others and be a bit more confident at making a choice.

If you are tempted to jump to 3s in the future, the Orion rocketsport on the left hand side I found to fit quite alot of cars, with a bit of a shove, (3s are on the left (1 hardcase the other 3 are softcase) 2s sticks in the centre, 2s shortys on the right, and 2s saddles along the back).

2019-12-13_02-10-34

• Like 2