rwordenjr

Baja King T-L01B HELP

13 minutes ago, WillyChang said:

You've got the wrong front knuckles, those aren't TL01 knuckles...

compare those with proper ones from TL01/M03/etc

tamiya_50736.jpg

B-parts sprue 50736

Your knuckles look like the "skyline" red ones from TA01/02 or from Hotshot rere... they can be made to fit but the location of the steering link will be more forward & more inboard... hence your excessive toe-in.

You can make shorter steering links *but* the arm is also shorter than stock knuckle... meaning:

1. geometry is off. Original longer arm keeps the link near parallel to dogbone at centred position
  2. you'll put more stress on servo/servosaver. You'll probably be wanting an alloy servosaver arm before long, or buy above sprue for replacement part. 

I'm a bit confused, the knuckles that came with the kit are installed. I put up 2 separate  pics of 2 different cars. The black ones came with and are installed on the baja king while the red ones came with and are installed on the manta ray 

5 minutes ago, LeftyAl said:

Hey Willy, on the Baja Champ manual those knuckles are not used (greyed out) and part 00445572 is included. The knuckles look like TA01 or TA02 knuckles. I think it is to support the offroad front wheels.

hmm... odd, but yeah the Baja Champ manual does say that 

https://www.tamiya.com/english/rc/rcmanual/tl01b_baja.pdf

Dunno, the last B I still got here think it started life as a Baja King & I didn't build it originally - now mega modded. With the TL01 knuckles the wheels point dead straight but :( it's also running kingcab wheels so that's probably what's allowing clearance.

5 minutes ago, rwordenjr said:

I'm a bit confused, the knuckles that came with the kit are installed. I put up 2 separate  pics of 2 different cars. The black ones came with and are installed on the baja king while the red ones came with and are installed on the manta ray 

Swap the steering rods to be attached underneath the knuckle and see how it looks.

4 minutes ago, LeftyAl said:

Swap the steering rods to be attached underneath the knuckle and see how it looks.

Will do, once I’ve got it switched will post new pic 

8 minutes ago, rwordenjr said:

No, my bad... forgot Baja Champ supplied alternative 00445572 knuckles... so you'll have the TL01 knuckles unused on the sprue still.

MantaRay manual says the red knuckles are 0445098 so they're different again; had thought they're same molding. Will compare next time I find both types together.

Baja Champ manual shows the link bolting to the bottom of the knuckle ear.

Wow just occurred... today the Baja Champ is like 20 if not 21yo!!

Helped build one from the first batch of Baja Champ delivered to Singapore, they still had MSCs back then. Circa 1999!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, WillyChang said:

Wow just occurred... today the Baja Champ is like 20 if not 21yo!!

Helped build one from the first batch of Baja Champ delivered to Singapore, they still had MSCs back then. Circa 1999!

Nice, you have one still ? Pics ?

7 minutes ago, rwordenjr said:

Nice, you have one still ? Pics ?

'Fraid not, it got left in Singapore. Digital cameras weren't common then, I shot 35mm! Nothing too interesting anyway, pretty sure we just got 1 can of PS1 White and it got stickered like boxart. The MSC bolted into the top of TL01 chassis, where the little "bridge" is right in the middle.

Within its first week think we've worn off all the nubs from tyres (Tarmac running) and managed to break a dogbone... plastic ended dogbone I think.

10yrs later I did ask about it again - I wanted a wide armed 4WD for a project... wasn't much left of the wreck by then, not worth salvaging. So I went bought a used Baja King instead.

17 minutes ago, WillyChang said:

'Fraid not, it got left in Singapore. Digital cameras weren't common then, I shot 35mm! Nothing too interesting anyway, pretty sure we just got 1 can of PS1 White and it got stickered like boxart. The MSC bolted into the top of TL01 chassis, where the little "bridge" is right in the middle.

Within its first week think we've worn off all the nubs from tyres (Tarmac running) and managed to break a dogbone... plastic ended dogbone I think.

10yrs later I did ask about it again - I wanted a wide armed 4WD for a project... wasn't much left of the wreck by then, not worth salvaging. So I went bought a used Baja King instead.

so you got a Baja King now?

55 minutes ago, LeftyAl said:

here it is. maybe a little better still toe in significantly 

IMG_0262.jpg

1 minute ago, rwordenjr said:

here it is. maybe a little better still toe in significantly 

IMG_0262.jpg

Looks a little better, can try the other holes on the knuckles to see if that helps. Give it a run and see how it goes. 

4 minutes ago, LeftyAl said:

Looks a little better, can try the other holes on the knuckles to see if that helps. Give it a run and see how it goes. 

will do, if fails still got the thread rods and adjusters coming to make a custom fit :lol: thanks for all your help! what cars do you have?

2 minutes ago, rwordenjr said:

will do, if fails still got the thread rods and adjusters coming to make a custom fit :lol: thanks for all your help! what cars do you have?

Hahahaha too many cars. I think there are 31 at present. From Tamiya I have.......

TA02, TA03F, TA03R, TA04, TT01 *2, F103 *2, King Blackfoot, Baja Champ, Frog, Super Hornet * 2, F201, DF03Ra, Wild Willy 2, and a DT03.

Just now, LeftyAl said:

Hahahaha too many cars. I think there are 31 at present. From Tamiya I have.......

TA02, TA03F, TA03R, TA04, TT01 *2, F103 *2, King Blackfoot, Baja Champ, Frog, Super Hornet * 2, F201, DF03Ra, Wild Willy 2, and a DT03.

lets see your baja champ!

Here she is, fresh off the wall!!!!. Has not been used for a while and it looks like my daughter was the last to crash it and sticker it up!!!!

The picture is misleading, but my steering is almost zero tie in/out.

1072674441_BajaChamp.jpg.62d4a1faa1ef237f6896659314f4a173.jpg

3 minutes ago, LeftyAl said:

Here she is, fresh off the wall!!!!. Has not been used for a while and it looks like my daughter was the last to crash it and sticker it up!!!!

The picture is misleading, but my steering is almost zero tie in/out.

1072674441_BajaChamp.jpg.62d4a1faa1ef237f6896659314f4a173.jpg

looks nice! so weird how yours is perfect toe in/out and mines all messed up even though we have same parts

Just checked the front dampers. they are TA03 ones with a longer lower ball connector. Centre to centre they are 64mm or overall 69mm long. If yours are longer, than I suspect that is what is causing the toe in.

To test, slowly press down on the front and see if the toe in changes.

2 minutes ago, LeftyAl said:

Just checked the front dampers. they are TA03 ones with a longer lower ball connector. Centre to centre they are 64mm or overall 69mm long. If yours are longer, than I suspect that is what is causing the toe in.

To test, slowly press down on the front and see if the toe in changes.

which part is that ?

2 minutes ago, rwordenjr said:

which part is that ?

775196175_BajaChampDamper.JPG.001dd9bf36daef1977c73ef7cbf4021e.JPG

Might be worthwhile to use the outside holes for the bottom of the dampers, that will lower the front a little and should help with reducing  toe in.

1 minute ago, LeftyAl said:

775196175_BajaChampDamper.JPG.001dd9bf36daef1977c73ef7cbf4021e.JPG

Might be worthwhile to use the outside holes for the bottom of the dampers, that will lower the front a little and should help with reducing  toe in.

on mine, this part is 3.5 inches long. is yours the same?

IMG_0262.jpg

yes, my dampers are also using the outside lower mount points.