SuperCman

Super Clod Buster

Hello, new to the forum and looking for advice. I recently purchased this clod buster chassis and need some direction before I start dumping gobs of money in to it. First off what model is this? I assume it’s the super clod because of the aluminum bracing but the red shock towers threw me a bit. The shocks also spear a bit strange as there are two springs on 4 of the shocks. Is it worth trying to find a manual speed control unit and replace the vintage Novak Rooster or just convert to 2.4ghz etc? Are these Kyosho motors worth saving if they run vs stock ? Do re re parts fit for a majority of the parts ( I’m missing two wheel hub spacers if that’s what they are called)? 

anyone know how to reduce your image mb size to post more pics( could only post 1 pic)? Also how to rotate the pic so it’s not upside down? 

773FBE03-EC7B-4BD2-ADA3-899BDC48BA86.thumb.jpeg.0b61ab19d109dd1ee680a000e31b0ef3.jpeg773FBE03-EC7B-4BD2-ADA3-899BDC48BA86.thumb.jpeg.0b61ab19d109dd1ee680a000e31b0ef3.jpeg

Looks like a custom build to me with those aluminum plates, I've not seen those on shocks before. How much movement do you get from the axles? Might have been a rock crawler... Steering servos on the beefy plates too?

I don't think there's been any changes in parts, apart from cosmetics.

Manual speed controller is horrid, I'd ditch it and go for the Hobbywhatsist 1080-thingy and get LiPo in there. But that's just me...

There's a whole forum dedicated to the Clod: https://www.clodtalk.com 

Thanks for the quick reply. So is it safe to assume that it is an original clod buster vs a super clod buster?  I will continue to dissect this vehicle and see what direction I will go. I will most likely convert to 2.4ghz with this one although I have, so far, been more of a purist. 

Looks like an original due to the MSC and red parts.  Looks like someone did a number on that thing, and not really in a good way.  Homemade center chassi plate, way to big lift kit, and custom bumpers.  Good news is all Clod parts are still available and everything is easily taken back to original if that's the way you want to go.  The only differences between the original Clod & Super Clod is color of plastics, ESC, and chassis bracing in the Super Clod.

If the motors work they should be fine, but would help to know what you plan on doing with the truck.  Either way I would get a Hobbywing 880 Dual Motor Esc, I run that is all of my Clods and it's a great cost-effective dual motor ESC.  

Other than that it depends on what your plans are.  Plenty of knowledge here and plenty of parts around, should come together nicely.

I just researched the hobbywing dual 880 and it looks like a great option for this. My hope is to bring this clod to life at some point . Because this is my first one, I will probably end up purchasing an original or a re release that is stock and learn from that. I’ve taken apart and put back together the original Fox so many times that I could probably do it blindfolded. This clod will probably end up as an interesting modified clod with a fusion of new and old technology. I’m guessing from this pic that he also had a two battery setup too. Not sure how I’m going to dissect this clod. 

A73D2118-E139-4D68-A225-9685F525C11A.jpeg

871217EA-4867-4C09-8C66-28AF3F2DE790.jpeg

Definitely an old school dual battery setup, one in the front of the chassis tub and one in the rear.  Now we just run 3-4S lipo when we need more juice, no need for duals.  I've attached the Clod manual for reference.  I would start by tearing the truck completely down and cleaning everything then inspecting for damage to see what you have.  I buy a lot of old, well used Clods and about half the time after I tear them down I find a lof of plastic fatigued or broken, especially knuckles, axle tubes, axle housings, etc.  Luckily everything is readily available and cheap.  

Once you see what you have then it's just a matter of what you want to do with it.  I like your idea of buying a Super Clod and building from scratch, then you will know how these work inside and out and also get the satisfaction of owning a nice stock truck.  Then take the pieces from this one and build a modified truck, best of both worlds.  If you're anything like me you'll be hooked and have 4-5 of them by this time next year :)

ClodManual.pdf

Thanks 87lc2. That manual really helps dissect some of the pieces I need acquire and then move forward. Is it safe to say that the clod buster is probably the most highly modified rc vehicle in existence? 

No problem, happy I could help.  I For the first 25 years of it's existence it was without a doubt the most modified RC vehicle ever.  You may have heard this, but you can build a complete truck without using a single Tamiya part if you really wanted to.  I say for the first 25 years becuase I believe the Axial SCX10 has equaled the Clod in that regard.  You can certainly build an entire SCX10 without a singel Axial part.  

As for those tires, they look to be in great shape for the age.  I don't think they've been made in years.  Never had a set of them, but I believe they are Imex brand.  If I'm worng, Im sure someone will correct me on that.

Your Clod is the perfect argument for why I should get one vice a TXT2. If Tamiya stopped making the Clod today there's still a 39 year supply of parts floating around. Enjoy the restoration.

Agree, that is an original 58065 and some type of custom/home modified vintage build. Also, has the power (series) / economy (parallel) switch. 

Also, those are Kyosho 360 Mega Motors which came in the USA-1, they are 550 sized motors. High quality as well. 

The vintage Novak Rooster ESC, specifically made for these trucks has early 1990's written all over it as well as that Futaba receiver. 

17 hours ago, GTodd said:

Your Clod is the perfect argument for why I should get one vice a TXT2. If Tamiya stopped making the Clod today there's still a 39 year supply of parts floating around. Enjoy the restoration.

Very true.  While I love my TXT-based trucks parts are definitely harder to find.  On the other hand Clod parts are everywhere, new, used, etc.