Sign in to follow this  
KalEl63

CR-01 Wheel Weights

Just wondering what people are running wheel weight wise front and rear and what brand?

I run aluminum beadlocks on my CR01 for added weight along with lead automotive stick-on weights around the outside of the beadlock ring.  You can get them just about anywhere, they're inexpensive, and they work very well.  I use these in most of my crawlers, just have to be more aware of throttle inputs so you dont end up snapping axles due to the extra weight.  I've never had an issue with a CR01 (the drivetrain is pretty tough), but have had issues with other crawlers when adding too much weight.

Here is an example of what I'm talking about - https://www.rctalk.com/forum/threads/how-to-add-weight-to-your-crawler-wheels.66194/

• Like 1

I added lead/wheelweights around the rims. Running proline headlock rims and 2.2 flat iron tires..

Front each wheel 360grams total.

Rear each 300grams total.

I was only thinking of adding 50gm front and rear but I’m guessing that won’t do much?

I'm guessing you're already past this stage of your build, but a stock CR-01 wheel weighs ~150g between the wheel, two beadlocks, screws, and tyre/foam.

The automotive wheels weights common here (made of iron) come in adhesive strips with alternating 15g and 5g weights. One complete loop of the stock CR-01 wheel takes 75g, making the total wheel weight 225g. A second layer can easily get you to 300g if desired.

The amount of weight really depends on what you want to do with the rig -- if you're mostly trying to crawl, you'll want more than the 50g. However, if you're going to attempt some medium-speed bashing (it is a CR-01 after all!) 50g might be all you really want.

• Like 1

On 1/9/2020 at 12:35 PM, KalEl63 said:

Just wondering what people are running wheel weight wise front and rear and what brand?

try your best to make axle weights rather than wheel weights as additional rotational masses greatly increase the burden of the whole transmission system.

• Like 1