Grumpy pants

Model & Running Advice WRC Toyota Corolla

A couple of years ago there was a non-tamiya rtr corolla for sale at the Bristol Model Expo. Looked like a 1:10 body and good detail. I forget the mfr, looked like it was old stock that had hung around in a model shop for ages. It wasn't expensive either but I passed it up at the time. Would have made a good basher body so I can run my 03fs 

• Like 1

those QDS were sold cheap... the whole RTR were often discounted to something like A$99-129. Back when a T's body parts set was asking A$60-80 unpainted and a set of wheels $30/2pr and tyres like $30-40/set... was real tempting to shuck the QDS for those parts alone. 

The Corolla was unloved but it's other QDS stablemate was a blue WRX Suby.

Body was screwed on with buttonheads and position was wrong vs std T locations. Tyres might be usable but the wheels weren't, they were screwed on not a through-axle & nut. 

IRL that Corolla wasn't a proper Corolla underneath anyway, wasn't it? Think it was the previous GT-Four Celica 4WD drivetrain, running gear & suspension rebodied to look like a Corolla. Scalewise it's dimensions might be off compared to a real Corolla. 

• Like 1

My wife is keen to get 2 of our children out with a car each which is great news for me 👍

I’ll dropped the ball yesterday and missed the only HPI Peugeot 106 Shell in the UK which was really stupid 🙈

Are there any other known options?

I want to keep this wheel base really, keep the budget low and I’d prefer a hatch back or rally style shell if possible.

image.jpg

Had a quick play today in the street.

It’s runs and is fun, will get the kids out using the standard silver can, chipped wheels and battered shell.

And then sort of work backwards from there.

I promised myself to sort out the WW2 steering before getting distracted by any other Tamiya 😂

Love the ESC’s,  colourful and retro much more interesting than my others to look at. 

Have you stripped the chassis down yet to see what's inside?

Is it fully ballraced? If not best get it done before running too much, those bronze oilites & plastic bushes don't do it any favours, the shafts will wear sloppy. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, WillyChang said:

Have you stripped the chassis down yet to see what's inside?

Is it fully ballraced? If not best get it done before running too much, those bronze oilites & plastic bushes don't do it any favours, the shafts will wear sloppy. 

Thanks WC, no not yet just a quick test drive today to see if I liked it.

My plan is to pick this one  back up soon.