The Twingo Lord

What was a long kit to build

Original Clodbuster for me, too many snap mounted parts that are extremely stiff. I couldn't stand the pain in my hands and it took days to attach the suspension.

Super Hotshot wasn't to bad, Avante was really great but more because its such a lovely thing to put together, and I wanted it to last. 

Now the CAT XLS that's an entirely different kettle of frustrating, annoying and blue languaged fish!! Very rewarding once done however. *******er does fight you all the way... 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Grotty Otty said:

Now the CAT XLS that's an entirely different kettle of frustrating, annoying and blue languaged fish!! Very rewarding once done however. *******er does fight you all the way... 

I hear this a lot on forums, have never built one myself - when you look at the pictures of the chassis it looks so simple!!!

• Haha 3

9 minutes ago, Superluminal said:

I hear this a lot on forums, have never built one myself - when you look at the pictures of the chassis it looks so simple!!!

It would be...

If you had three hands... 😁

I don't know how it compares to others quoted but I found my XV-01T to be quite involved - more than previous TL01, M chassis and Dual Hunter builds and I purchased it for that reason - oil filled diffs, belt drive, suspension blocks, oil filled dampers, slipper clutch all added complexity to the build.

I have purchased a couple of CR01s as they look 'interesting' to build too as well as an Agrios (though that was really so I would have a monster truck for my wife rather than because it is a complex build).

My GCM trail truck build has certainly taken some time and been challenging - mainly because the chassis was second hand, there is no manual (only YouTube videos) and I have needed to purchase various bits to pull it together including motor, steering servo, steering links, suspension links, screw kit, ESC, and BEC. A huge learning curve and I haven't finished yet. It the end I'll have a truck that I have really put some time and effort in to build - even if half of it was correcting my previous mistakes!

363B8031-753B-4ECD-86B5-4F7E626BF3BC.jpg

• Like 2

How about something like the CC-01? WHile the initial box-stock build is quite interesting, it pales into insignificance next to the massive upgrade path made possible by aftermarket and homebrew parts and fixes.

the bruiser 

the grand hauler

the merc 3363 actros

was all long builds for me 

XV-01 for me.  Its my most modern kit I've built, everything prior was just buggies.

Clod Buster is a good one, but it gets a little tedious because the front and rear axles are identical, so you basically do the same thing twice. And I imagine any of the 3-speeds or semis takes a while to build. But those all have hard bodies that deserve to be done right, and it does take patience (which can be learned). The new CC-02 looks like a good involved build as well.

Non-Tamiya possibilities: Axial SCX10 II (any flavor), or Kyosho Optima/Javelin. Both are good quality kits with high parts counts, and lots of mechanical bits to assemble.

As others have said the Bruiser/Mountain Rider/Mountaineer. The transmissions are reasonably intricate. They are a unique chassis build experience among Tamiya as they are mostly metal. Like the SRBs, it provides a break from screwing tapping screws into ABS plastic. 

The High Lift series of trucks as well as the rigs are probably considered long builds.

While not as complicated as the previously mention vehicles, the TXT-2 Agrios followed by the Super Clod have a good number of parts.

Buggy-wise, the Hot Shot would be one of the longer builds. The newer 4wds are much more streamlined in their build process with lower parts count. The Avante series is fairly complex, the Avante being the most so (probably more so than the Hot Shot). 

The key thing to remember is, they are all Tamiya. This means, all but flawless instructions, that if carefully followed, will lead you to a properly assembled vehicle by the end of the manual. I'd hate to assemble an Avante with the original RC10's two instruction book approach.

I assemble some complex stuff for a living so I am a little biased. Honestly, the Bruiser transmission was the only thing I felt I had to carefully concentrate on while assembling. Everything else Tamiya makes just flies together in my hands.

Longest for me  was my cat xls. The setting up belt tension alone and you could build an m05 ! And the drive shafts are a nightmare of swearing with parts flying everywhere and looking under various furniture trying to find axle joints. 

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Superluminal said:

May look simple but the forum is right the xls is an absolute pain to build and personally a big pain for me as I ended up in A&E after my build (well ended with the shocks) putting a screwdriver through my hand trying to put the retaining clip on the bottom of the first shock I was build.......tetanus jab aswell!

• Sad 1

I dont buy many new kits but I do buy a ton of used, neglected, and abused RC cars & trucks.  I like the process of fully disassembling them, cleaning everything so it looks new, and re-assembling properly.  This undoubtedly takes longer than building a shiny new kit and there's a great sense of accomplishment in turning a pile of neglected "junk" and making it as good as new.  Give it a shot, you might enjoy it.  Plenty of cheap Tamiya (and other brand) RCs out there in the second hand market.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, topforcein said:

the grand hauler

the merc 3363 actros

was all long builds for me 

I've not built a 1/14 Truck yet but they did spring to mind.

There are some with Pre-finished cab's in the kit so you wouldn't have to worry about that @TwistedxSlayer

• Like 1

Yep, my 1/14 Aeromax and CR-01 would be the 2 longest builds I’ve had

It depends what you've already built. If you've only built a TT chassis then a Hotshot will be a long involved build, as will a TA07. I raced through my first builds so anything I've built later took longer (and I did a better job) than earlier builds. The Top Force took a while and I really enjoyed it, that was probably my favourite build overall. The TA07 was a great build and could take ages if you got into the setup as you went. Modern race kits are very involved so that could be an option too. The TRF102 is a very simple chassis but the build is fantastic, the quality is so good and it took me longer than it should have because its so different to anything else I've built.

Longest build though was my HB D817, that took about twice as long as a 10th scale car to build.

• Like 1

Starting in order from most challenging;

Abrams Full Option 1/16

Mercedes Arocs Tipper truck

Mercedes 1850L truck

Bruiser Re-Re

High-Lift trucks (Hilux, F-350, Tundra)

TXT-2 Agrios

Clod Buster

CR-01 Land Cruiser

CC-02 Mercedes G

The tractor trucks and high lift trucks are even more challenging with the optional multi function units but I listed them without it. 

• Like 1

Cc01 I found to be a pig to build but there might be my in experience 

I would suggest having a look at the manuals to see what aspects of the build interest you most 

https://www.tamiya.com/english/rc/manuals.htm

I downloaded my CR-01 manuals long before I got a kit. The kits are waiting for me in the loft but I look at the manuals from time to time!

Also gives you the opportunity to see if you need particular tools (doesn't happen often though).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NeonScorcher said:

The CR-01 has the most parts I ever had in any Tamiya kit. That one was a very interesting and long build for me. 

The cr-01 I kept on building wrong and having to take it apart time and time again it's one of those kits you have to read then read again the build manual!