The Twingo Lord

What was a long kit to build

9 hours ago, Re-Bugged said:

I've not built a 1/14 Truck yet but they did spring to mind.

There are some with Pre-finished cab's in the kit so you wouldn't have to worry about that @TwistedxSlayer

arr you dont know what you missing out on its a experiance you wont forget.

i forgot to put in that list the 3 axle reefer trailer was a bit of a long build also.

and i cant wait until after the first toy fair to arrive to see if we have a top-force evo re're and if we dont then i will be getting onto tony tamiya for a price on a globliner

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Re-Bugged said:

I've not built a 1/14 Truck yet but they did spring to mind.

There are some with Pre-finished cab's in the kit so you wouldn't have to worry about that @TwistedxSlayer

arr you dont know what you missing out on its a experiance you wont forget.

i forgot to put in that list the 3 axle reefer trailer was a bit of a long build also.

and i cant wait until after the first toy fair to arrive to see if we have a top-force evo re're and if we dont then i will be getting onto tony tamiya for a price on a globliner

and for me i could never buy a pre painted/built version truck as i like to apply my on paint sceme plus you would miss out on the build

• Like 1

TXT-2 was my longest chassis build.

Still it's really fun too send flying off small jumps and hoon over rough ground. It's a real quality kit and very authentic in many ways to the real monster trucks. 

After that....

The one that stands out for grabbing the attention and pure build enjoyment was the Clodbuster. The scale of the thing just puts a silly grin on your face. Not so long to build as the TXT-2, but the hard body is an extra element. 

Then comes my most recent build...

The new CC02  is a great chassis to assemble, for a normal size 1:10 it really demands you pay attention and don't miss any steps. The penalty for not placing a nut or screw in quite the right place can lead to a lot of unnecessary disassembly. Be warned!

13 hours ago, Wongataa said:

M1A2 Abrams full option tank for me.

Yeah, was going to say, the Leopard 2a6 was probably the most involved build for me

Any of the tractor trucks are long and involved, not particularly difficult but take a good 15-25 hours incl painting etc. 

for mid range difficulty some nice kits are CC02 or XV01. 

My favourite 1:10 build was the HotShot re-re.  There's so much to do from one end to the other - complex ball joints to assemble, great-looking suspension arms, all that roll cage structure and the ingenious rear shock levers.  And of course gearboxes at both ends.

Over-all, the longest single build was my MAN TGX 6x4.  It took around 5 months to finish.  I started it over a Christmas break but I wasn't prepared for the number of parts that would need painting before assembly, so I had to put it on hold until the weather warmed up.  Lots of detailed chassis components must be painted either matt black or silver before screwing onto the chassis rails.  I went through the manual, detached, sanded and primed all the parts that would need paint, then separated them into batches for the different colours.  It took a week or so just to paint all the chassis parts before I could go back to the assembly bench - then I continued to find more parts for paint that I'd missed first time around, so work would have to stop again.

If you don't like painting then the assembly of a European big-rig might be frustrating.  Note that the pre-painted Euro cabs will only have the cab parts pre-painted - all the chassis parts will still be raw plastic.  (I've also been told that the cab plug on a pre-painted Scania cab - the part that plugs the hole for the MFU trailer connector if you're not using the MFU - is not pre-painted, which makes it a pain to colour-match.  I haven't verified this yet as mine is still NIB).

OTOH, the chassis parts for the US big rigs are mostly chrome plated, so you don't need to paint anything besides the body and interior, and lots of people don't bother with an interior because they fit multi-function units instead (you can fit both but it's not easy).  The technical part of the build (chassis, suspension, transmission) is still just as involved as a Euro rig but you can fire the plastic parts straight on without paint, which reduces frustration.

• Like 1

My Tamiya 1:14 Man 6x4 truck. 2 years so far, but I think that may be more the fact that I have too much else to do than the kit being difficult to build......🤔

J

On 1/12/2020 at 8:34 AM, SuperChamp82 said:

Restore anything vintage 

Properly :) 

I'm restoring a 1981 Sand Rover. It's got about 14 screws but so far it's been nearly two weeks what with cleaning, more cleaning, testing old motors and speed controllers, waiting for bits from ebay to arrive... there's lots more to do, I've got the suspension uprights to fix as the biggest job, then sourcing a spur gear to replace one with a broken tooth.

On 1/12/2020 at 4:18 AM, berman said:

Yeah, was going to say, the Leopard 2a6 was probably the most involved build for me

The Leo 2A6 is my favorite build but the so many glueing can be quite frustrating for a modeller.

My longest build was a CC01. Put it togeather one time and then started to hop it up... took 2+ years. I sold it to avoid bankruptcy...:)

agree with the CR-01 - you will probably want to set aside a day just to do the beadlocks on the wheels :blink:

however, as with the Clod, there is a fair amount of duplication as the front and rear assemblies are pretty much the same.

I haven't done a full build of a big-rig truck, but dis-assembled/built one after painting for a mate - that was fun and quite different from a buggy build.

The Toyota High-Lift was a complex but nice to build kit.

A totally wrong pick-up truck in its own right, but still a super cool kit to build ;)