JennyMo

Retro Stanley (previously 'Retro Desmond', and also 'The Big BJ')

Seems I can't stop messing with Desmond (the 2.2)... this crawler has been through so many iterations over the years, it really is Trigger's Broom!

Still, I thought you might be interested in the latest incarnation - a Retro Desmond if you will...

Update October 2020: - and still the evolution continues!... skip towards the bottom of this page if you want to see the latest more scale iteration:

i-2LxmXp3-XL.jpg

January 2020: Previously on TamiyaClub...

i-zmxShFg-XL.jpg

photo. not quite finished - this was the first test on the rockery after the electronics were installed.

A quick recap of the story so far: If you've followed my previous Desmond thread (and subsequently my Defender 90 build 'OK TC'), you'll know that the original donor was a budget RTR crawler I bought in the USA a good number of years ago - the kind that uses a box style chassis and 45° canted shocks to give really good articulation, albeit at the expense of scale realism - not least the tiny little lexan Beetle body it came with.

Initially I immediately swapped out the body with a seriously chopped Midnight Pumpkin cab, and then a rudimentary cage assembly, before going back to a hybrid of a HiLux cabin with the Pumpkin bonnet, which was how the previous Desmond thread started: here. Ultimately, Desmond ended up with a full size (albeit narrowed) HiLux cab, and a chopped rear cage assembly from a Vaterra Ascender:

i-mtRHhLm-XL.jpg

However, I have to admit that subsequently building the Defender 90 on a similar aluminium ladder chassis using Lisa's Mad-Gear running gear, I much preferred the scale appearance of the Land Rover shell, and even though eventually Desmond had plenty of scale detailing included, it was always very much a 'competition crawler' style build (complete with four-wheel steering).

i-J8C9JRj-XL.jpg

photo. The D90 features the same chassis, wheels and tyres as Desmond, and similar 4-link suspension (and 100mm shocks), other than it uses a forward mounted 27T motor and 5:1 planetary gearbox, driving a 2:1 transfer case.

So a plan was hatched to essentially build a twin (or at least a close cousin) to the D90, utilising as many of the existing parts I had incorporated into Desmond (while reverting to a non-steering rear axle), and the choice of body was actually pretty obvious - an RC4WD FJ40 Land Cruiser - since not only did it keep the Toyota theme going (hence 'Retro' Desmond) but it shares a similar wheelbase to my Defender build (275mm wheelbase). More fundamentally perhaps, the Land Cruiser body is also significantly larger than a typical 1/10th scale model (despite being billed as '1/10th' it is actually proportionally larger than the Gelande/Defender 90 body, which I'd say is already 1/9th scale compared to a Tamiya HiLux or YJ Wrangler body for example) - so this SWB Land Cruiser shell is actually more like 1/8th scale when you consider how compact they are in 1:1 size.

In that regard, I felt that building this with the 2.2 size wheels and tyres (130mm diameter) would actually look far more in proportion to an actual SWB FJ40, albeit one that had been lifted and had oversize tyres fitted too.

So let's crack on shall we?

cont.

• Like 3

cont. 

part 1: Squeeze and Chop

First of all, not only was a surprised at the shear size/scale of the RC4WD FJ40 Land Cruiser body in comparison to even my Defender,  but also just how ungainly the whole thing was - particularly once you'd mounted the roof section too.

Now I'm sure RC4WD got this pretty much scale accurate when they designed it, but from a personal perspective I find the stock FJ40 an "Ugly little spud" to quote Ray Stantz from Ghostbusters (tenuous easter egg for later on in this build) - the rear body particularly seems much too large and top heavy, especially if you wanted a 'performance' based trail/crawler build? 

Certainly compared to my Defender 90 which is already as bulky as you'd ever want, the FJ40 shell was even more top-heavy, and the overall width would certainly limit the ultimate axle articulation compared to what I was used to (note. the reason the Defender arches are so chopped in my example above is to ensure the 130mm diameter tyres still clear on full articulation with the 100mm shocks, while keeping the [hard] body as low as possible on the chassis for better stability).

So there was only one thing for it, some pretty drastic surgery with Doctor Dremel, and a serious nip and tuck:

i-QpgXsFf-XL.jpg
photo. a quick measure (and the fact I already had the perfect headlight frame for this build which would retain the classic FJ face), and ultimately I decided to chop 25mm from the centre of the shell.

i-FxJXNJv-XL.jpg

i-RJmjbcK-XL.jpg
photo. better, while retaining the iconic FJ profile of course.

However, narrowing the shell would proportionally make the ungainly roof seem even higher, so some surgery was needed there too:

i-dx9JzVw-XL.jpg
photo. Truck-cabbing the roof was an easy way to remove a huge amount of weight from high up.

However, in turn this then highlighted those horrible slab-sided doors... doctor, you're still required!

i-hz2G7tZ-XL.jpg

i-PdMmzft-XL.jpg

i-FmWgLRB-XL.jpg

Ultimately I decided to chop 10mm from the top of the door frames, and reattach the top rail and window frames to the doors. I then cut a similar amount from the original window sill, and also angled the quarter-light windows downwards to meet the new lower level window sill - thus retaining a similar size window aperture, just 10mm lower than before.

i-8FvpqWT-XL.jpg
photo. you can seen the main reason I settled on the 25mm chop from the middle - this ProLine spot lamp frame (the same one which was fitted to Desmond, just with two lamps removed) fits perfectly in the new headlight/grille aperture!

The end result is a more shallow windscreen (approx 40mm, so similar to the Defender), and side window lines which lead from the base of the windscreen to the same level as the rear quarter windows in the truck cab. I'm pleased with that.

cont.

• Like 4

cont.

Lowering the side windows/roof line meant the rear of the truck-cab section also had to be shortened, although I was able to retain the complete rear window/tailgate panel which would now become a lift-up 'hatch' in the new iteration, (complete with a spare Trailfinder tailgate handle).

i-CWGz286-XL.jpg
photo. roof rejoined, although a lot of sculpting/sanding and filler was required to mate the rear profile section (which is wider) to the main roof above the cab.

i-CvQ5zG5-XL.jpg
photo. rather than just glue the new roof on, I would endeavour to retain the facility to have the hard-top removable as required - therefore the original M3 screw holes in the windscreen top rail were retained since they still lined up with the narrowed roof panel.

i-KTr78cH-XL.jpg
photo. the main body shell mounted to the chassis - this was surprisingly easy at the rear (using the correct length rods), only some creative bracketry was required to position the shorter forward mounts at the correct height/distance. note. there is still enough width to retain a full size 6-cell stick pack across the bulkhead if required.

i-kWTFh4d-XL.jpg
photo. with the hard-top in place, it was time to plan out the rear load-bed - full depth of course!

cont.

• Like 3

cont. 

part 2: Interior fabrication

Ultimately various sheets of styrene were employed to create as much of a full interior as I could, based around the confines of having a centrally mounted 3 gear transmission and motor (as per the original donor):

i-ZWK3m55-XL.jpg

These Chinese/Ebay chassis offers a series of holes for mounting any manner of suspension and transmission options, and are loosely based on an RC4WD Gelande style solid rail chassis, although some of the dimensions are slightly off. 

It's worth noting that they tend to be listed as an "SCX10" replacement chassis, but again, the width between the rails does not allow a stock SCX10 transmission plate to fit (as those are designed for C channel rails of course), so when I built Desmond initially, I had to narrow the transmission skid (you can see the join repaired with quick-steel) and use longer bolts all the way through both sets of lower link mounts.

As part of this re-build, I also changed out the previous internally-sprung 100mm shocks with some two-stage coil overs - these are super soft (they were on the Defender for a while) and provide great action and articulation - however, it does mean they are prone to torque twisting, which was exacerbated on the Defender which also has a chassis mounted steering servo [without a panhard rod], so in this build I've retained the servo-on-axle for the steering, which is generally/visually pretty well hidden anyway.

i-rMtdCbs-XL.jpg

Along with the rear load-bay, I also fabricated a dash and basic transmission tunnel cover for the cabin together with a simple seat-box - in an effort to hide as much of the [centrally mounted] underpinnings as I could...

i-NJF7HtJ-XL.jpg
photo. seat bulkhead and additional bracing to support seats/driver figure.

...and fundamentally, have the body completely removable in one piece (using just the four screws, two in each sill) for easy servicing and battery changes etc.

I also elected to splurge on the genuine RC4WD FJ40 seat set, taking the gamble that they would still fit in the more narrow interior - and they do, just!

i-SN2LScV-XL.jpg

i-stV9rsW-XL.jpg

All of which will help to hide the transmission lurking beneath - the final seat location to be decided once we find a suitable driver of course!

With the styrene work finished, it was time to blow over the body with some primer, and dry-fit a few of the detail parts (headlights/grille and seats) I'd amassed, before planning the rest of the detailing... the idea being that this remains a usable crawler, while incorporating as many scale elements as I can that are simple and strong enough to survive in the event of an inevitable tumble from time to time.

i-Dk956rb-XL.jpg
photo. you may notice I also fabricated a simple windscreen surround, cut from a sheet of 1.5mm styrene and trimmed with some 2mm half-round styrene strip for the window rubber.

cont.

• Like 4

cont.

part 3: Detailing details...

You'll have noticed in the photo above that I created some radiator grille panels to fill the space in the headlight frame - this was done using some fine mesh - the kind you get to repair panel holes when filling/fibre-glassing (part of my stash from Halfords which I brought over to the US with me last year ;o), carefully pressed into the recess to give it a proper 3D appearance and radius in the recesses - much as I'd first done with the STUMPkamper radiator grille too of course.

i-3PSkdd2-XL.jpg

i-wxr4khV-XL.jpg

i-B4s4h23-XL.jpg

i-zKg8sZT-XL.jpg

Once all the mesh pieces were shaped and trimmed, I tacked them in place with superglue before using 2-part epoxy to secure them.

i-7fq4pTf-XL.jpg
photo. I also made two more similar pieces to fill in the grille recesses in the body.

Wooden bed

In the rear, I wanted to reproduce what I'd done with my ebaYJeep , and incorporate a real wooden bed, complete with aluminium runners.

i-s8bPBqX-XL.jpg

This time I used 1/2" 'planks' (rather than the 1/4" Cherry strips I used in the Jeep) which are around 1.5mm thick (some imperial measurement I'm sure - probably 0.060"), while the metal runners are 0.10 inch (2.54mm) diameter rod, so they sit just proud of the wooden deck.

i-25f9rXD-XL.jpg

Initially I measured and cut/assembled them loose in the load-bed, before attaching them together on a strip of masking tape to keep them in the correct order/orientation:

i-w8cRn8L-XL.jpg

And which makes it very easy to glue into the load-bed in one piece during final assembly.

I also started to go crazy with the scale diamond-plate...

i-MvwQcgp-XL.jpg

This is the slightly larger scale sheets from RC4WD, which are more appropriately sized for 1/9 and 1/8th builds I feel (I like the Yeah Racing four-bar version for 1/10th builds), and is actually a lot more substantial than the Yeah Racing version (which can be easily cut with strong scissors or a Stanley knife for example) - I ended up scoring the aluminium with a Stanley blade, and actually snapping the RC4WD sheets - fortunately all my cuts were straight lines on this build, and any corners filed and sanded round.

Eventually, I ended up with this little lot:

i-4zttQQt-XL.jpg

from top to bottom:

seats - RC4WD on custom frames.

headlights and grille panels - Proline spot-lamps and frame, with mesh inserts.

windscreen & quarter windows - cut from 0.030" (0.75mm) lexan

diamond plate inner door trims and sill steps

diamond plate transmission tunnel cover (not used)

door handles (made from bent aluminium rod)

diamond plate rear shock tower cover and wheel arch covers

wooden load-bay floor (with aluminium runners)

diamond plate tailgate lining panels (pair)

diamond plate rear wing quarter panels

rear lights - Axial 12mm round spotlights, with red lenses

engraved licence plate - from Desmond

Time to get some paint on that body, and bolt the whole thing together I think!

cont.

• Like 3

cont.

part 4: Painting

I won't catalogue each step by step to the salt/rust weathering techniques I used, as I've already covered that in detail in some of my other build threads - however, in this instance, while I did use the Dremel tip to create a degree of texture to the higher corrosion areas, it was not my intention to try and make this an utter junker (ie. no huge rust holes and dented panels) - rather just have general wear and rust in those places you'd typically find on a 40 year vehicle that has been used off-road, such as the edges of the doors and hood openings, and flaking and peeling paint where panels would be rubbed by hands and say a mechanic's overalls over the years.

i-qkrD9PP-XL.jpg
photo. that said, I was rather pleased with this particular hole (where the top of one of the rear light housing will fit), but unfortunately it's going to be covered up with diamond plate anyway.

i-msKHFGf-XL.jpg
photo. a base coat of red-oxide primer, together with Iron paint in those areas I want the more intense real rust to develop.

i-shjcC8m-XL.jpg
photo. fine tip of Dremel tool used to nibble away at the 'metal' edges of the doors and hood, adding to the depth of the effect once the Activator solution is applied and the rust begins to form.

I always consider that it is far easier to create a 'scale' appearance if you choose to weather the bodywork, and also use a flatter satin/matt paint to represent age and sun damage; while the older and more scabby you make the vehicle is also a great excuse to not have to do too much initial bodywork prep either of course!

That said, I really admire those painters who can paint a showroom style gloss finish on a 1/10 model and still make it look real, it's just I don't have the facilities nor the patience if I'm honest to do that sort of paint-job justice - preferring the rattle-can in a cardboard box in the garage method of painting...

So, here we go with another rough old paint job:

i-4DCzVDn-XL.jpg
photo. blowing over the key 'rust' areas with red oxide, then applying salt to those areas where I want the rust to remain visible... I then add an intermediate grey primer coat, and add additional salt where I want that to show through the final top coat - typically on larger panels where the paint might have been rubbed away such as the wing tops and bonnet/hood.

i-SctJtJ7-XL.jpg
photo. top-coat. I chose a colour I've used before (on Hopper's HiLux doors) which is Tamiya AS-29 - a flat [Military aircraft] sort of peppermint green, which is like a more faded version of the traditional Toyota FJ40 green.

note. I've also added styrene tabs and repurposed some hollow screw fixings (from under the original hood) to the rear of the truck-cab to secure it to the seat bulkhead with self-tapping screws. Similarly, the transmission tunnel and open footwells of the main body allow me to access the two screws in the top of the windscreen surround should I wish to remove and refit the roof at any time.

i-x9HVnDg-XL.jpg
photo. with the salt washed off (under a warm water running tap), the initial weathering is already pretty realistic... adding more of the Activator solution to those areas primed with Iron paint increases the real rust effect, and ultimately brushing the corroded areas with dry power and a mix of dry-brushing black/dark grey and thinned black-wash during the final assembly/finishing will make the weathering really 'pop'.

i-8P8njQz-XL.jpg
photo. It's getting there! - just the roof top panel to finish now (which was masked off initially while the green was sprayed) - on the roof I elected to use a mix of 'aluminium' silver as a mid-coat (to represent bare metal which had not yet rusted) under a top coat of Tamiya TS-7 Racing White, which is more cream than bright/brillant white, and again more appropriate for an ageing vehicle I feel.

cont.

• Like 2

cont.

part 5: Final assembly

So with all the spray-painting done, it was time to start the final assembly and glue in those detail parts that I'd wanted to avoid over-spraying and fiddly masking:

i-ZDVNzxw-XL.jpg
photo. rear load-bed - the floor had been preassembled on tape so it could be dropped into position and glued in place.The only addition required were two thin slivers of wood to fill the tiny gap between the outside metal runners and the wheel-arch boxes. note. I purposely cut the diamond plate cappings sightly small, so you could see the rust forming in the bodywork creases, as would be typical in a steel-bodied pick up which had been left out in the rain for decades.

i-9XtmmBK-XL.jpg
photo. masking the windscreen rubber surround, to make painting it (with Tamiya XF-85 Rubber Black) easy with a flat bristled brush.

It was also straight-forward enough to glue on all the other pieces of diamond plate trim (the benefit of pre-cutting and dry-fitting everything prior to paintwork), and install the window glass, light buckets etc. with a combination of superglue and 2-part epoxy as required.

i-NW5HCMc-XL.jpg

i-Qkd775d-XL.jpg

So who is going to be driving?

i-JRwkfTs-XL.jpg
photo. Ozzy jumped out of the ebaYJeep to see how he liked it behind the wheel of a Toyota...

Unfortunately, it turns out that while Ozzy's head is probably about the right scale for this 1/8 truck, this figure being only around 6" tall looked far too small for the interior, even though the roof has been lowered and the cabin narrowed... It's a real shame as not only do I have another of these Ozzy Osbourne figures 'new in box' just waiting for the right ride, but as a comic twist, I'd intended to have him also wearing an Australian bush hat, as 'Aussie Osbourne' in this particular bush-truck iteration... oh how we laughed.

Still, there was nothing for it but to scour Ebay for a suitable substitute driver - and clearly whoever it would be would have to be around 8" tall to be proportional as someone close to 5'10" to 6' in this scale (1/8th I reckon).

Fortunately there are any number of 'action figures' in this size - in fact almost too many to be honest - I spent hours trying to decide, and indeed balked at some of the prices being asked for some 'famous' faces... The other issue I found is that in this size, action figures tend to come in separate clothes (rather than having moulded bodies, which are easier to modify and paint), although at least they tend to be fully articulated which ought to make fitting them in the cabin easier without resorting to surgery and body-filler!

Eventually I narrowed it down to either the guys from Anchorman (which I realise have been done before), or a more cartoon style figure of Fred from Scoobydoo, complete with winter jacket and hat which I thought looked pretty cool for a 4x4 driver, if not entirely realistic scale-wise...

However, and as the easter egg at the beginning of this thread suggests, ultimately one particular figurine stood out as being the ideal combination of hight/build and semi-scale cartoon face, while also wearing appropriate attire:

i-nqWhxkw-XL.jpg
photo. this is Peter Venkman from the Real Ghostbusters cartoon series.

Bill Murray's rendition of Peter Venkman is one of my all-time favourite movie characters, and while the cartoon is not the same, I still think this 'young Venkman' looks pretty cool (and is the least cartoony of the four) and I managed to snaffle this example for a great price in a late-night last-minute bid on Ebay - result!

i-QHrGFwD-XL.jpg
photo. sans proton-pack and armbands... he's still a little short standing next to the truck perhaps? - although don't forget this is essentially a lifted vehicle on 47" tyres of course!

Fundamentally though, he fits in the seat/cabin perfectly, and also looks the correct scale through the window when driving which is the key thing of course!

i-CV2dKfL-XL.jpg

Time to get those seats installed Pete!

cont.

• Like 2

cont.

part 6: Inside job

With the driver figure decided, all I had to do now is modify the seat bases slightly so the driver was positioned correctly to hold the steering wheel (and gear lever) in a natural stance, which resulted in removing part of the passenger bench seat to fit around the centre transmission hump - so that both the seat backs lined up. (note. there is actually enough space behind the seats to put a second 6-cell stick pack if I wanted to power a winch separately, or just as a spare for extended trail running).

i-Jd845BF-XL.jpg

i-wXLt4zM-XL.jpg
photo. marking the seat bases to bolt through seat-box panel.

i-2NWqXBX-XL.jpg
photo. M3 screws set into (and glued) to the scratch-built seat bases, allowing them to be fitted and removed again if required.

With the seats sorted and mounted, I also modified a pair of Wild Willy gear lever assembles to make individual gear and transfer levers for the centre console:

i-2L4d8FZ-XL.jpg

I also fabbed up some footwell bulkheads/front inner wheel-arch linings to mount the electronics to (essentially hidden under the dash/scuttle panel):

i-XN6vhDj-XL.jpg

And boxed-in the sides of the 'engine bay' to hide the forward mounted battery pack:

i-vxPWH7m-XL.jpg

i-4rXfb4J-XL.jpg
photo. cheap and cheerful electronics - these are from the original Mad-Gear Cliff RTR model I used as a donor for Desmond, a Flysky style receiver (I've bought the Flysky branded versions too for other models) and a brushed ESC which I find has surprisingly good low speed throttle control and an excellent drag brake. The motor is also the original 70T one from the Mad-Gear, driving through an Ebay special SCX10 style metal-cased transmission with a slipper clutch. It ain't pretty, but it works!

So that is pretty much where I'm up to right now... currently I'm just detailing the gear levers and fitting the steering column, then we'll get Pete behind the wheel and out on the trails!

In the meantime, a few photos from yesterday during it's maiden run once the electronics were installed (but before the seats and driver were fitted):

i-wMQv2Ks-XL.jpg
photo. still has pretty impressive travel and articulation for such a relatively short wheelbase (approx 280mm).

i-d3J43R9-XL.jpg
photo. however, the front wheels do start to drag on the wheel-arches (inevitable really, especially when you compare it to my similar [geometry] Defender, which has the whole front wings removed! 

Ultimately I may have to trim or even remove the front arches on this truck too, although that would be a shame as the cycle-wing style flat fenders are very much part of the overall look of the FJ40 Land Cruiser of course...

The other option, which I might temporarily install at least, is to fit some bump-stop spacers to the piston rods on the front shocks, limiting the travel slightly so the wheels don't snag too badly?

i-DB7CQWb-XL.jpg
photo. this is pretty much the limit before things start to snag, and there is still around 5mm more stroke available from the shocks.

i-qPJ4qML-XL.jpg
photo. the rear arches are tight as well - albeit purposely so as I wanted to retain a similar profile to the originals... again, ultimately if this proves to hamper performance, I may have to get the 1/8th scale angle grinder out and go medieval on the rear wings too, as I did with the Defender.

i-hCzcRf3-XL.jpg

Overall I'm pleased with the current combination of scale looks and detailing, coupled with good trail/crawling performance... time will tell if further [body] modifications will need to be made, and I'll also endeavour to detail the load-bay and cabin interior with some accessories, and maybe even a few decals etc.

'More soon' as they say!

Jenny x

• Like 6

2 hours ago, JennyMo said:

i-8FvpqWT-XL.jpg

We got one!!!!

That shot reminds me of the GF-01.

Another great build, Jenny and I like your new driver. I think he is of the ‘real’ cartoon variety, hence the funky ‘do.

Do you think you can get an Ecto-1 siren for it?!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Badcrumble said:

We got one!!!!

That shot reminds me of the GF-01.

Another great build, Jenny and I like your new driver. I think he is of the ‘real’ cartoon variety, hence the funky ‘do.

Do you think you can get an Ecto-1 siren for it?!

Hee hee:

Yes, I know what you mean, it does have a hit of GF-01 about it!

And yes - I mentioned in the photo caption that this version of Venkman is from the Real Ghostbusters cartoon series... you can get action figures of the original [movie] line up - I found one for Ray for example which actually has a passing resemblance to Dan Akroyd - but unfortunately those are only 6"-7" high, and wouldn't have been suitable for this size shell.

That's not to say Ray won't make an appearance in another [more suitably sized] build at some point mind you ;o)

Jx

• Haha 1

So you did, I overlooked the caption as I binged on your multiple postings! I should slow down and give it another read...

• Like 1

A few more finishing details...

i-SZb4wJ8-XL.jpg

photo. instrument panel for the centre of the dash - a thin sheet of styrene covered in self-adhesive aluminium foil (and sanded with 1200 grit wet&dry), with pin heads as screws... and Wild Willy 2 dash decals.

i-xMxTpCb-XL.jpg

photo. Trailfinder II steering wheel with aluminium tube steering column extension... modified Wild Willy 2 levers for gearbox and transfer case.

i-3Cs9kbs-XL.jpg

photo. articulated driver can either hold steering wheel and gear lever, or steering wheel in the right hand and a casual hand out of the window.

i-QCMhNzn-XL.jpg

photo. I felt an 8" driver figure was required for correct proportion inside the RC4WD FJ40 cabin.

i-sm6FBXM-XL.jpg

photo. some of the accessories from the original Desmond cage-back crawler, relocated in the new load-bed.

i-h9mj8Dn-XL.jpg

photo. experimenting with a few decals and window stickers, plus a pair of short grab rails along each rear wheel-arch... note I also ended up trimming the rear diamond plate corner protectors vertically behind the rear arches.

i-QCqbK9c-XL.jpg

photo. I'm currently still working on a floor-pan for the cabin footwells, which will stay attached to the chassis when the body is removed.

More soon... it's almost done!

Jenny x

• Like 3

Good to see you back guns blazing with such incredible attention to detail again after a 'break' from your last build. 

As an apprentice trained carpenter, that cherry wood rear end of your's is just stunning. :blink: Wow that sounded different in my head but you know what I mean :lol:  Keep up the good work.

• Like 2

Well I got the chance to test-run the 'Big BJ' around JJ Customs indoor rock-crawling course here in San Jose CA earlier this week, and it was a tad humbling... seems while Desmond now looks a whole lot more scale than before, it's been to the detriment of it's overall ability - although I'd suspected as much already of course.

The main issue seems to be that the forward weight bias of having the 6-cell stick pack right over the front axle - coupled with the fact this is a short-wheelbase (approx 275mm) pick-up - means that while it would climb impressively in much the same was as my Defender 90 does with similar dimensions, once heading down a really steep decent it's almost inevitable that a forward roll occurs - which in one instance led to some of my carefully superglued-on trim parts pinging off into the rock pile!

Another thing I noticed along with the significant weight bias disparity between front and rear (which could be somewhat resolved - see below), is just how top heavy this truck is with the hard-top in place, even though I truck-cabbed it - not helped by the amount of filler required to mate the front and rear profiles together of course - and ultimately there is not much I can do there I suspect, even cutting a sunroof is going to have little overall effect.

One other slightly less dynamic issue I found was that a small square of servo tape is not sufficient to secure Dr. Venkman in the driver's seat - although I feared that might be the case and it was only really a temporary measure to be honest...

So back home, a few modifications were undertaken:

i-d3HXJt6-XL.jpg
photo. my original floor pan/bulkhead/engine bay assembly constructed from 1.5mm thick styrene

I decided I would reposition the battery horizontally across the bulkhead (as had been my original intention), and relocate the ESC and RX to a fabricated 'pocket' between the footwell bulkhead and the now vacant engine bay:

i-LfrBMVp-XL.jpg

i-PD47WQz-XL.jpg

Ultimately this makes for a very neat installation wiring wise, and still allows me to access the battery connector from underneath for charging without having to remove the main body-shell.

The other thing I did was fit a 4-point harness seat-belt to the driver's seat, together with some additional servo tape, so that Pete is held far more securely in place. I also felt that ultimately one hand on the wheel and the other on the gear lever was less likely to result in scuffed knuckles in the event of a roll-over.

i-nSNXv3Z-XL.jpg

Finally, the other issue I found was the tyres rubbing on the arches at full articulation - generally speaking it was acceptable, but in a really severe cross-axle situation, the tyres started to bind - and coupled with my low-end motor and battery combo (which admittedly probably helped save a broken drive shaft or two), I found the tyres would start to bind, halting progress.

So currently I'm debating trimming a little of the arches away:

i-Z5VsSWq-XL.jpg
photo. this I'd be happy with - it still may not offer 100% clearance, but it would make binding less likely.

i-fQxHWXR-XL.jpg
photo. this however would be a shame, since the wide front fenders are so much a part of the visual appeal of this particular body. Perhaps I'll wait until they get properly damaged, and simply remove them completely?

The other option would be to fit the set of 1.9 size rusty white 8-spoke wheels and 120mm diameter BF Goodrich AT tyres that I've got sitting on the shelf here, and go for a much more scale overall look - however, that would also require replacing the current axles with some which are more narrow too (which means a further investment of $100 or thereabouts) - and ultimately is not really in the spirt of the recycled re-body of a previous model perhaps?

So in the meantime, now everything is a little more dialled-in now, I'm hoping to get it out on the trail at the weekend and get a few photos 'in action' too!

Jx

• Like 4

Having completed my 'stage 1' modifications, and also installed the simple LED head and tail lights which arrived earlier this week, I thought I'd catalogue it now at the 98% finished stage (all I'm really needing now is some scale wiper blades the correct size for the windscreen), and before I rough it up a bit driving, and ultimately (I fear) deciding to cut a little of the front and rear wheel arches away, since I really like the stance on these 2.2 size 130mm diameter wheels and tyres.

So first of all, a few photos showing the overall vehicle (with appropriate captions highlighting the spec and details):

i-dS2hhZp-XL.jpg
photo. RC4WD FJ40 body is now what I consider far better proportioned - 25mm more narrow overall, and a 10mm lower roof.

i-75p75MV-XL.jpg
photo. oversize wheels give the impression of an even shorter wheelbase, but it remains at 275mm or thereabouts (it's actually closer to 280mm once the suspension has settled with a degree of sag).

i-JLLg6gT-XL.jpg
photo. truck-cab pick-up created from original station wagon body - curved rear quarter windows formed by heating and bending a thin sheet of lexan (it was actually some pieces cut from the packaging the RC4WD motor came in!)

i-HPSsk8D-XL.jpg
photo. rear lights are Axial 12mm spot lamps. I decided to mount them in the wings rather than the rear bumper for better protection.

i-4shQ2rK-XL.jpg
photo. short grab-handles along each rear wing as sliders help to protect the rear bodywork. Custom cut aluminium checker-plate corner and sill/step protectors.

i-B4fgcqs-XL.jpg
photo. while I did consider denting and bending some of the body panels prior to painting, I decided that just some localised rust weathering to the higher wear points would be more appropriate, and let the trails themselves add authentic scars.

i-PgtWSPb-XL.jpg
photo. faded 'peppermint' green colour (actually a Tamiya Military Aircraft paint AS-29) is an obvious choice perhaps, but that's because pastel colours work so well on this era Toyotas. note subtile black-wash to help highlight the various bonnet vents and panel lines etc.

i-fFgxnsc-XL.jpg
photo. headlight surround is a ProLine 4-lamp spotlight frame, with the centre two segments filled with aluminium mesh. Even though it is 25mm (so about a foot in 1:1 scale) more narrow than the original vehicle, the 'face' still is immediately recognisable I feel?

i-htQcb98-XL.jpg
photo. Axial 'Trail Ready' plastic bead-lock wheels and the original Mad-Gear donor vehicle 2.2 tyres, which are surprisingly good I've found.

cont.

• Like 2

cont.

Some detail and interior shots, again with caption descriptions:

i-RKCF4th-XL.jpgphoto. rear load-bay deck lined with 1/2" strip wood and aluminium rods as runners. More checker-plate panelling for the bulkhead/shock tower cover, tailgate panels and wheel-arch boxes. note. the handle on the lift up rear window - that's a repurposed Trailfinder 2 tailgate handle, got to try and keep it in the family after all!

i-X8JZQtV-XL.jpg
photo. scale engraved licence plates (from the previous donor rock buggy), central recovery hitch on aluminium rear crossmember.

i-vB5BXWq-XL.jpg
photo. driver figure is Peter Venkman (from the Real Ghostbusters cartoon series) - I felt the 8" figure was required to be properly scale in this size body, and he is held in place by a Yeah Racing 4-point (5 point, with the crotch strap removed) seatbelt.

i-jMcmL85-XL.jpg
photo. the articulated figure allows a variety of poses - I settled on his left hand casually on the wheel, and his right hand shifting back into 2nd gear.

i-fzTHWDv-XL.jpg
photo. simple cabin. The dash was cut from styrene, and the instrument panel covered in aluminium tape and Tamiya Wild Willy 2 decals applied. The gear and transfer levers are also Wild Willy parts, modified.

i-FsFtQPX-XL.jpg
photo. moulded bonnet clasps were painted, and real rust effect paint used around those higher wear areas.

i-Q252z93-XL.jpg
photo. it's subtile (due to the top coat colour) but you can see the grey primer coat just showing through in places, as if the paint had been worn and faded away. Note the door handles are handmade from bent aluminium rod.

i-36GK2sM-XL.jpg
photo. more rust... I also used a fine routing tip on a Dremel to add depth and texture to the more aggressively rusted areas along the edges of the panels.

i-thmNzwR-XL.jpg
photo. on the roof, I elected to replicate more of a bare metal effect under the peeling and blistered paint - using an 'aluminium' colour silver spray.

i-NjJKs8S-XL.jpg
photo. The radiator grille and associated front panel apertures were filled with fine aluminium mesh, carefully pushed into the recesses to create a radius curve around the edges. note. I also reattached the central [plastic] hinge which was initially removed when I narrowed the shell down the centre by 25mm.

Right, now that I've catalogued the 'basic build', I don't feel so bad about taking the Dremel to it, and also plan to add some door decals and further detailing in future. I will of course ultimately add this one to my showroom, once the final details are complete.

More soon!

• Like 2

Oooops, I couldn't help myself...

i-mJtfVSh-XL.jpg

i-N9jC2qd-XL.jpg

i-m9XGvRX-XL.jpg

photo. If you have an alpha-numeric keypad, you'll probably appreciate the phone number ;o)

I can confirm that the wheel-arch mods were enough to stop the tyres snagging on full articulation, and currently I don't feel the need to either restrict the front travel or trim the wings - result!

Jx

• Like 1

Just a few more photos of the latest mods...

Rear arches reshaped to allow tyres to clear on full articulation:

i-c88B3zd-XL.jpg

i-Kvx5vjv-XL.jpg

i-bk79J6P-XL.jpg

As you can see. the truck-cab roof remains removable - held in place with two screws in the rail above the windscreen, and two more that self-tap into the holes in the tabs at the bottom of the roof section which slot inside the seat bulkhead:

i-89vgB5q-XL.jpg

i-kzg6BSW-XL.jpg
photo. painted and rusted interior too - I should really add a couple of detail hinges to the lift up rear window panel.

i-mSN8S52-XL.jpg
photo. seats are the RC4WD front seats for the FJ40, which still fit inside the narrowed cabin. note. the space behind the seats is large enough for a spare 6-cell stick battery.

i-WFd6wm5-XL.jpg
photo. door decals are dry-transfer letters, then sanded with 1500 grit paper to weather and fade them.

i-tW224zq-XL.jpg
photo. can always be run with the roof off too, although the door-tops are potentially vulnerable in a roll-over of course.

i-bmwjZS7-XL.jpg
photo. Minimal front overhang with the 2.2 size wheels and tyres.

Right, time to hit the trails I think... oh, and finally add this one to my showroom too of course!

Jenny x

• Like 2

Wanting to test whether my weight distribution re-jig and other mods made any real difference, I went back to the indoor crawling course at JJ Customs this afternoon for another go...

i-Lw3KqbZ-XL.jpg

i-Vs5T26h-XL.jpg

Moving the battery back to horizontally behind the dash has made it a little less nose-heavy, but unfortunately it still forward rolls on the really steep down-hill on the other side of Mt. Myers... ping, there goes another piece of super-glued-on checker-plate (fortunately it didn't get buried under all the rocks this time!).

The trimmed rear arches made a significant difference, the rear wheels no longer catching on the body and halting progress - although at one point I had bound up the rear end so much that one of the shocks came apart and dumped the springs all over the place (more rock moving required there) - so I need to make sure all the bottom eyelets are thread-locked on, and I think I will add some 5mm plastic bump-stop spacers to the front shocks after all, as the front tyres were still catching on the fenders from time to time - and in those instances with the modest motive power coupled with a significant amount of all-up weight in this build, it would start to struggle in places...

Conversely though, get the line right and it would walk over what I considered some pretty gnarly terrain - proper Rubicon Trail stuff! - and I can confirm that the 4-point harness seat belt also kept Dr Pete perfectly in position throughout - even when he ended up upside down.

So in conclusion, I'd say this is definitely more of a 'tough-trail-truck' rather than a full-on crawler... which if I'm honest is fine by me, as I much prefer the scale detailing and appearance of this hobby rather than simply chasing outright performance.

That said, I currently have a VS4-10 chassis with some reasonably quality axles as a roller on my workbench, so perhaps now is the time to invest in some better quality [more powerful] electronics and go LiPo, and see if I can actually get some performance to match the looks in my next project?

More soon!

Jenny x

• Like 5

Having had to remove the roof to repair the door-tops after my latest testing session series of roll-overs, I decided to make some little hinges (non working) for the rear lift-up window panel, to help detail the interior:

i-bmDSqdV-L.jpg
photo. pieces cut from 1mm thick styrene sheet and 2mm half-round styrene rod.

i-6fKt6fm-L.jpg
photo. hinge parts cut slightly long (to be trimmed flush once glue set), and screw holes drilled.

i-45v5fQd-L.jpg
photo. dress pins use for bolt heads.

i-rjrqdZs-L.jpg
photo. a quick coat of red-oxide primer, salt, green top-coat, and black-wash.

Then as I was about to glue them in, I realised that this style of butt hinge would actually have to be on the outside of course - so ultimately mounted them there instead:

i-FLL4nML-XL.jpg

After all, these little things matter, right?!

Jenny x

• Like 4

Simply amazing work. Just got better with each post!

The only thing I could possibly suggest (whilst being as complimentary as possible!) Is the doors should have matt black window rubbers and the vertical divider separating the quarter glass should be completely black too. Looks like you already did a great job of the seals on the rear windows and windscreen but it's bugging my OCD that these are still body coloured.

Seriously though; awesome job! 

• Like 1

On 2/20/2020 at 3:57 PM, ChrisRx718 said:

Simply amazing work. Just got better with each post!

The only thing I could possibly suggest (whilst being as complimentary as possible!) Is the doors should have matt black window rubbers and the vertical divider separating the quarter glass should be completely black too. Looks like you already did a great job of the seals on the rear windows and windscreen but it's bugging my OCD that these are still body coloured.

Seriously though; awesome job! 

I agree, it was an oversight as I was so keen to get the side windows* glued in too... duly noted ;o)

*Personally I'd prefer to leave the face of the vertical divider body colour, but agree there should be a rubber strip on the return edges around the glass.

Jx

Part 2: "Seems I just can't 'leaf' things alone..."

Uh oh... Louis Willy, what have you done?!

i-V7HXDkq-XL.jpg

photo. strip down - 2.2 wheels & tyres, and oversize axles removed...

What's going on here then?

i-XC88JwV-XL.jpg

photo. half doors, plus running boards and truck-cab removed...

Let's see if we can't make this a lot more scale after all...

i-bNCGFqj-XL.jpg

photo. 115mm diameter tyres, and a plan to fit leaf springs and narrow axles...

More soon, once I work all this out!

Jx

• Like 5

The postman has been busy this week!

First of all, meet the new owner/driver:

i-ptvZc7W-XL.jpg
photo. turns out Peter Venkman has sold the BJ to Stan Lee.

The front axle and wheels also arrived:

i-tbSJmNJ-XL.jpg
photo. raw steel Gmade wheels will rust naturally - I'll paint the front faces white for some contrast.

And so did this full-length roll cage:

i-hCmcvgm-XL.jpg

photo. the cage turned out to be exactly the width of the [-25mm] narrowed body - which is essentially what I wanted for a silhouette 'skeleton' now the roof has been removed... however, I will need to get creative with the tube bender so that the rear uprights tuck inside the bodywork.

I've also made a start on the new body detailing - repositioning the upper door hinges in the half-height doors:

i-6HXMWRB-XL.jpg

i-QDV3MtR-XL.jpg
photo. a little filler and they'll look like they were always there...

Stay tuned!

Jenny x

• Like 2

Roight!

A few more parts arrived over the past few days (RC4WD leaf springs and K44 rear axle) which means I was able to get it rolling on it's wheels again, which is the good news...

i-4Phz6z3-XL.jpg
photo. Front axle in the correct position - ultimately I used a pair of 1:14th Truck leaf springs(106mm long*) paired with the front shackles from the RC4WD Trailfinder II spring kit. 

*It's worth noting that trying to use the Trailfinder 120mm long springs, meant the axle was not far enough forward in the wheelarch for the position I have this body mounted on the chassis, and that the leaf kit for the Gelande chassis (which this body is designed to fit) are also 106mm long - presumably for that reason.

i-HMq3m6M-XL.jpg
photo. at the rear I used the regular [soft] Trailfinder II 120mm long springs and front mounts, paired with some longer shackles (from those cheap Chinese ebay spring kits) at the rear since these pattern chassis don't have the machined recess for the Trailfinder rear mounting brackets.

i-R95p3nk-XL.jpg
photo. similarly these 'pattern' chassis are not quite the same dimension as the pukka Trailfinder chassis, and the genuine RC4WD forward spring mounts are slightly more shallow then the pattern version, which mean the chassis needed to be notched approximately 1.5mm.

Still, after a bit a head scratching and Dremel/filing, the K44 axles were mounted at the correct wheelbase for how I'd already mounted the body to this particular chassis, and Stan jumped in to see how it all looked:

i-MDDH48k-XL.jpg
photo. much more scale I think you'll agree... note. I plan to cut some round rear wheelarch panels to fill in the currently butchered rear wings.

I also successfully managed to bend the cage so it would fit in the narrowed body:

i-J4tH43q-XL.jpg
photo. Stan is looking rightly pleased with that, and so he should be...

i-GN3tXpL-XL.jpg
photo. not bad at all, although the front hoop is a bit far from the screen if the centre hoop is positioned in line with the rear edge of the doors...

So to try and disguise this disparity a little, I thought I'd remove the front diagonal braces (which looked a bit clunky anyway?) and try and bend the front part of the cage to make it flatter... only this happened:

i-cLS6H9C-XL.jpg
photo. ah...

So now I'm debating what to do with regard to the [broken] cage... I don't have the facility to re-weld the broken joints, and to be honest while it looked ok (despite the gap between front hoop and windscreen), I'm not sure I liked the full height rear section anyway - yes, it does silhouette the original roofline of course, but then I always found the original proportions of the hard top FJ40 a bit clunky anyway...

i-KfXNQsr-XL.jpg

Ideally I'd have a slightly lower cage overall (not least as this Tough Armor one from RC4WD weighs a tonne, making the truck very top-heavy), although a suitable off-the-shelf one is going to be significantly more money, and would still need modifying in a similar way to fit in the more narrow body... so in the meantime, I've been experimenting with the remnants:

i-8bsRPRF-XL.jpg

i-ZFwV9XV-XL.jpg

Hmmmmm, I think something like this could work?

Jx

• Like 3