c64orinoco

Sand Rover 58024 Spur Gear A

I'm restoring an original 1981 Sand Rover,  and the Spur Gear A has a tooth missing.

I think this means I'll have to run it very, very carefully, or ... find a new Spur Gear.

What are my options, apart from massively expensive ebay excursions?

There are some used ones about on eBay and some new sets .The 380 motor uses 3 gears , your 540 motor and mount eliminates gear B. If you still have the spare gear B you can modify it to fit , it is the same gear it's just the boss is different from gear A . I've done it and it works fine .

I think my Sand Rover got modded in the past. I know it came with a 380. It now has the 540 installed; pinion driving gear A then gear B on the driveshaft. I don't have the spare around, although hunting through old boxes I did find the original Tamiya box wrench that came with it, and a half-full bottle of damper oil which must have come from my Hornet, putting it about 35 years old!

I'll just have to trawl ebay.

On 1/12/2020 at 11:09 AM, c64orinoco said:

I think my Sand Rover got modded in the past. I know it came with a 380. It now has the 540 installed; pinion driving gear A then gear B on the driveshaft. I don't have the spare around, although hunting through old boxes I did find the original Tamiya box wrench that came with it, and a half-full bottle of damper oil which must have come from my Hornet, putting it about 35 years old!

I'll just have to trawl ebay.

Actually, it was an official hopup. My first Tamiya was a Sand Rover. It came with a 380 but there was a hopup bracket to mount a 540. I eventually equipped it with a RX540 Technipower which made it fly. Unfortunately i sold it at the time, something i do regret dearly now but  i do remember that i built a custom gearbox cover as it was open and collected a lot of dirt and sand when running it. I have searched quite some time to buy one again but never got to it. Lately, my Tamiya activities are on a low but recently, been thinking about picking it up again. 

• Like 1

Yes @ddaenen1 the 540 bracket is an official hop-up , I've got one on my HB and recently sold a new one . I'd like to fit a gear cover to my HB & SR . TBG sell a lexan one but not sure how good it would be . I thought about making one or two from Styrene card.

24 minutes ago, KEV THE REV said:

Yes @ddaenen1 the 540 bracket is an official hop-up , I've got one on my HB and recently sold a new one . I'd like to fit a gear cover to my HB & SR . TBG sell a lexan one but not sure how good it would be . I thought about making one or two from Styrene card.

I made mine of styrene at the time, painted it black and added foam strips on the bottom so it sealed off the gearbox properly. It did work great.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ddaenen1 said:

I made mine of styrene at the time

Did you ever post up a pic of this ?  , as I seem to remember seeing something like it

1 minute ago, KEV THE REV said:

Did you ever post up a pic of this ?  , as I seem to remember seeing something like it

Unfortunately not. The Sand Rover was from before TC times in the late 80's and i haven't got a single pic of it anymore.

• Sad 1

On 1/21/2020 at 6:48 AM, ddaenen1 said:

I made mine of styrene at the time, painted it black and added foam strips on the bottom so it sealed off the gearbox properly. It did work great.

Thats a good idea - I have access to a 3D printer, so I might model one and print it.

• Like 1