Bazyli

TL-01 Ultimate Rebuild

Tamiya adjustable steering tie rods.  I think they are steel turnbuckles - maybe I will switch them for aluminium.

IMG_0187.thumb.jpg.782cf7c9319b1dfaf1dde5caa284af71.jpg

New steering rack (w/ servo saver) vs. old steering rack.  Definitely worth the weight to be able to adjust toe and to remove the steering slop!

IMG_0188.thumb.jpg.4abda65a28225e0ba7bb93133ae283be.jpgIMG_0189.thumb.jpg.5017e6ae21c0c81289bd767c8f643e52.jpg

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bazyli said:

Hop up servo savers.  3 Racing on the left, Tamiya on the right.  The 3 racing one was really cheap so I bought it just to compare.  The plastic and metal bits feel very cheap, but the design otherwise seems identical to Tamiya.  I went with the Tamiya one.

I am worried about the steering head in this servo saver being shorter than the stock one.  Not sure if the stock one was tuned for its particular length or not, but assuming it was, the ackerman is going to be way off now with the shorter head.  Maybe I can glue the old head to this new one somehow.

IMG_0186.thumb.jpg.8437291b4b119d3d3a81d54587e8153b.jpg

It will work fine with the new servo saver. Will you add the adjustable turnbuckles or go with the original plastic ones?

3 minutes ago, lowspot said:

FYI: You can use up to a 26T pinion by using the smaller gear of your high speed gear set, the one that is further away from your motor and is a bit smaller. Mine was running with a 11x2 super modified motor and hit 84kph.

Good to know!  That is a crazy setup.  I wonder if that was even top speed you hit there, or if it could have gone quicker with more room to run.

If you want to preserve the original steering geometry but use the high torque servo saver, you can use part 54120. This is the alloy high torque version of the plastic horn that comes on sprue 50736, used on both the M-chassis and the TL-01.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, lowspot said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03yKSUTpomA

It was only 82kph :-) . I think it was top speed but it was a brushed motor. If you use a brushless then I assume it can go much faster.

Hah, I watched that video just about a week ago!  What suspension arms are those?

3 hours ago, TurnipJF said:

If you want to preserve the original steering geometry but use the high torque servo saver, you can use part 54120. This is the alloy high torque version of the plastic horn that comes on sprue 50736, used on both the M-chassis and the TL-01.

Thank you!  That information is super useful : D

Assembling the rest of the chassis core and front gear box.

IMG_0190.thumb.jpg.6fba40d7b97021be30f9520d8fcf53b9.jpgIMG_0191.thumb.jpg.8d2fb0c8f4b77fc4a27c99f1bb79f04a.jpgIMG_0192.thumb.jpg.90c9f83e7d7806f6286113626f193068.jpg

• Like 1

Suspension arms installed.  The upper arms/tie rods are a mish-mash of parts since I didn't know what lengths to order or what my preferences would be for materials/style.  I had to cut the front ball ends shorter and drill the thread hole deeper to fit the turnbuckle nicely.  I have since ordered titanium turn buckles of the required lengths and some nice Tamiya ball ends of proper size.

IMG_0193.thumb.jpg.c6df380bd0bf8cd49902070329ab5c4b.jpgIMG_0194.thumb.jpg.d0fda84254b1e17ad8d29fd6d24851e6.jpg

You can see the front upper arms are super short.  This kind of destroys the suspension geometry since the camber changes aggressively as the front suspension travels.  I think the longer lower arms actually worsen this.  There isn't really any room on the chassis to drill holes further inwards to mount the upper front arms.  The root of the problem is the location of the mounting holes on the C-hubs; you can see how they are maximally inwards instead of outwards.

IMG_0195.thumb.jpg.ce552cf20b1800537d0afd9756fc5780.jpgIMG_0196.thumb.jpg.ed775a053c96c267ac7e238b4558eb66.jpg

• Like 1

I have cut the plastic parts on mine. It is really very close and there is almost no space. It is only to get rid of the plastic parts.

getuserimage.asp?t=&id=img49348_64201910

• Like 1

Hmmm... I'm being limited to only 1.08 MB file upload now... Is this a bug? Did I hit some daily/user/thread limit? : (

Edit: found it. there is an attachment limit per user.  I'll find a workaround...

Edit 2: anyone know how to embed pictures into posts if I am posting them via link hosted on dropbox?

1 hour ago, lowspot said:

I have cut the plastic parts on mine. It is really very close and there is almost no space. It is only to get rid of the plastic parts.

getuserimage.asp?t=&id=img49348_64201910

Is that a brushless motor on there?  Do you get heat issues with it? chassis melting or motor over heating?

7 hours ago, lowspot said:

Not at all - that is my old setup. The 11x2 brushed motor is getting very hot but never had any issues. 

I have installed this one: https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ALUMINUM-MOTOR-MOUNT-19T-21T-23T-S-TAMIYA-TL01-TL-01-ALLOY-TL01B-GPM/400741015500?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Oh wow that is awesome thanks!

Looking through the manual for the TL-01 LA (long arm) kit it appears that kit also had long lower arms with shorty upper arms.  Is this the desired geometry then?  Seems strange to me since this results in large camber changes as the suspension travels up/down.

2 hours ago, Bazyli said:

Looking through the manual for the TL-01 LA (long arm) kit it appears that kit also had long lower arms with shorty upper arms.  Is this the desired geometry then?  Seems strange to me since this results in large camber changes as the suspension travels up/down.

Camber gain is desirable as the car rolls to maintain better tyre contact. The longer lower arms also makes the arc of the suspension wider which makes the camber gain less abrupt. 

Been slow lately...

I bought a 2s lipo 50c battery and cut the chassis to accomodate it.  The car feels about 40%+ more powerful with this battery, so I guess it was really current constrained on the NiMH.  I still need to mount the new battery properly...

The newly found power shredded the carbon propeller shaft lol.  Not that surprised I guess.  Not sure if I will attempt a version 3 now or not.

Bunch of other parts came in as well. I'll assemble, take pictures, report, and post eventually.

I also cut out and painted the Lancer body... turned out to be a disaster lol.  The paint can warned me not to paint in cold or humid weather... I painted in cold AND humid weather.  Hopefully when I paint it again in warm dry air the disaster will be fixed lol.

• Like 1

I've painted outside on balcony whilst there's a rainstorm going on... had a long extension cord all the way out to power the hairdryer used between coats. Had to paint multiple coats of 3 colours, had to be done in time for next mornings trackmeet.

But oz cold wouldn't be anything like Canadian cold :P old schoolmate was showing thermometer reading -43degC on his balcony in recent weeks. Snowflakes are so solidly frozen there you just shake them off your jacket before entering indoors, your clothes dont even get damp. 

Nice build. I sold my very hopped-up TL01 last year to fund other projects, but I already regret it. Lightweight chassis set, LA arms, universal swing shafts all-round. I'll see if I have any pictures.

You're correct that you'll suffer from different steering geometry with the new servo horn. The original crank is longer so throws the steering further. Fear not; you just need to buy yet another part :lol:

Tamiya 54120 is what you need.

Just found this thread and following. One of the things that I've been trying to research for my own "super" TL-01 rebuilt (that's been on the back burner for 2+ years now...) is whether the Aluminum M-03R front uprights will fit the TL-01. I vaguely remember there being lots of crossover between TL-01 and M-03 parts.

The specific part is Tamiya 49441 M-03R Aluminum Front Upright. 

• Like 1