Sign in to follow this  
Superluminal

Top Force 2017

Can someone say whether the most recent batches of Top Force re releases come with a full complement of ball bearings included? I have downloaded the manual and it just refers to "metal bearings". Looking on ebay the Top Force metal bearings part nos'  looks like its just a bag of the bronze bushes not ball bearings.

I would guess it would be still bronze bushings like the original and other re-res. Tamiya generally doesn't use the term bushing in this case. What we would normally call plastic bushings or bronze bushings, Tamiya usually refers to as "plastic bearings" or "metal bearings".  To Tamiya, only the term "ball bearings" means ball bearings.

• Like 2

I got the latest batch which is still the 2017 and the "metal bearings" it refers to are those bronze bushings.  I had the same problem trying to work out what I needed to buy (and a bunch of other queries which are in the thread "Top Force Upgrades").   You need a bearing set for it

• Like 2

Again, another ridiculous decision by tamiya to not include a bearing set with all its releases.  Even £30 cars from bangood include them

• Like 1

Yeah is a bit annoying, I would rather the kit cost a few pounds more and not have a parts box with a billion plastic bushes floating around. It seems wasteful to bin them.

There are lots of things tamiya do which could be improved but ultimately we still love them.  They are an awesome company and I wish them all the best. But come on. Re release the falcon 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Im quite happy with the overal quality actually. That said i also recomend real ball bearings and if anything else the High cap Damper set, probably also a spare Ball Diff, there is 2 of them and it feels like they would need a replacment first on the car (probably also the rason for the very easy access to them).

• Like 1

I ordered the bearings in the end from RCBearings. Waiting till the end of the month when its pay day to order the Top Force kit (hi caps came last year from RCmart and carbon decks from a member on here)

7 hours ago, Superluminal said:

I ordered the bearings in the end from RCBearings. Waiting till the end of the month when its pay day to order the Top Force kit (hi caps came last year from RCmart and carbon decks from a member on here)

Have you got the metal motor mount? If not, the Yeah Racing one from RCMart is good, apparently the plastic one is terrible. I added Yeah Racing alloy wheel hexes and 3Racing titanium turnbuckles too, they are cheap on their own but do add up...

• Like 1

Yes, got one of the. - I have a Pargustore one which was originally in my Ta02 touring car, assume it should work?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Superluminal said:

Yes, got one of the. - I have a Pargustore one which was originally in my Ta02 touring car, assume it should work?

Yeah it should, they're the same piece in the kit

• Like 1

Great, and I have some yeah racing clamp type alloy hexes. Another that should really come as standard in a kit.

The only thingbI hate with a passion is the ball diffs - assume they are the same as the ones in the rear of my TA02. There doesnt seem to be any movement on the locking nut to separate overtightened to the point of destruction or coming loose when it runs.

Are there any gear diffs that would work? Ie ta06 or xv01 with the hard steel gears and pins?

Now oil filled diffs work, but the gear diff cases are in the kit on the same sprue as the ball diff parts. Download a manta ray manual to check parts but i think you just need the gear parts back for the bevel gears. 

• Like 2

Actually I think I have some of those left over in my parts tin - they are the cast alloy ones, little bit rough looking? 

I upgraded my xv01 to some ta06 machined steel bevels which looked much more robust. Do you think they might fit in?

Actually reading again it looks like without a slipper a geared diff on the back might get a bit chewed up.

4 hours ago, Oneball1971 said:

I'm sure i read somewhere on here it was recommended to have ball on the back and geared on the front

Correct. It is often deemed better to leave a ball diff minimally at the rear since the buggy lacks a slipper. While not a slipper per se, the ball diff can absorb some of the "shock" imposed on the drive train. While one can never know Tamiya's true intentions, one could posit that why they began adding them to rear of other DF/TA chassis derivatives like the TA trucks, etc. The nice thing for those, like myself, that hate ball diffs is that the Manta Ray ball diff style is easy to to adjust. Just crank down the adjustment nut until it bottoms and you're done.

• Like 1

Looks like there isnt much choice due to the small 40 or so teeth on the standard TA01 diff body. The oil and steel geared tamiya diffs all seem to be larger with 50 + teeth.

8 hours ago, Superluminal said:

when i brought my 2017 re-re from tony tamiya i got him to get the manta-ray  Hard Propeller Shaft and Aluminum Motor Mount from him at the same time and it only cost around £19.  not bad for a tamiya hop-up tbh

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/273451407663?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=710-134428-41853-0&mkcid=2&itemid=273451407663&targetid=910044633967&device=c&mktype=pla&googleloc=1007167&poi=&campaignid=1669190336&mkgroupid=88374263757&rlsatarget=pla-910044633967&abcId=578896&merchantid=10048844&gclid=EAIaIQobChMInvWEicKN5wIVFuDtCh1KIQrkEAQYAiABEgJ6avD_BwE

• Like 1

3 hours ago, topforcein said:

yep it seems to good to true tbh  esp being tamiya  hop-up

I was tempted by that to keep mine all Tamiya since RCMart have it for USD20 vs USD10 for the Yeah Racing motor mount, and about USD27 for the Tamiya motor mount on its own. How bad is the Manta Ray shaft that they have discounted the hopup so much?

I decided it against it since the Tamiya wheel hexes are 3x the price of Yeah Racing and then I'd need Tamiya turnbuckles as well so mine is a mix, would probably have added $50 to the build to stay all Tamiya with no difference in performance

i got mine from tony tamiya at the same time i brought top-force and manta-ray of him as he gave me a great deal i could not refuse tbh plus as i was at his place collecting i sorta went a bit mad 

buying stuff:D i hope to be going to him again in a month or so.

i could not say how bad the re-re manta ray shaft is as i have not built it yet but my original manta ray did vibrate a bit esp when i was running 11 turn motors in it so my mates dad made a better on for me but that was back in the early 90's  

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, topforcein said:

i was at his place collecting i sorta went a bit mad 

buying stuff:D i hope to be going to him again in a month or so.

No way!! I buy stuff from his ebay store on an almost weekly basis. I had no idea you could actually go there. Does it have a shop front or is it just a warehouse?

And is he really called Tony?

• Like 1