Wooders28

Hotwheels Power Booster mods?

I've got the kids a hotwheels set, and the boosters are rubbish, I've stripped and shimmed to stop any rubbing, and used thin oil on the shafts etc, but they're still lacking.

My next thought was to use a 1 cell Lipo to add a bit more volts, but wouldn't be happy letting the kids use it while I wasn't there, so , are there any motors available or other mods I can try, still using the D cell batteries?  

6 minutes ago, Wooders28 said:

I've got the kids a hotwheels set, and the boosters are rubbish, I've stripped and shimmed to stop any rubbing, and used thin oil on the shafts etc, but they're still lacking.

My next thought was to use a 1 cell Lipo to add a bit more volts, but wouldn't be happy letting the kids use it while I wasn't there, so , are there any motors available or other mods I can try, still using the D cell batteries?  

This is awesome. What size motors does it use? It will be a standard size right so should be easy to upgrade. If you're lucky it'll use those little squared off ones that are common in slot cars and Tamiya mini 4wd, there are tuned ones of those.

What about more D cells?

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

What size motors does it use?

They look like the standard size small motors, but a bit squished, recon maybe one of those, plasma dash motors might fit? 

20 minutes ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

What about more D cells?

Not the room for more D cells, but could maybe trim the inside compartment and fit 3 C cells? 

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F222442644795

Also thought about fitting bearings, but can't be bothered, as I don't think I'd gain that much? 

2 hours ago, Wooders28 said:

They look like the standard size small motors, but a bit squished, recon maybe one of those, plasma dash motors might fit? 

Not the room for more D cells, but could maybe trim the inside compartment and fit 3 C cells? 

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F222442644795

Also thought about fitting bearings, but can't be bothered, as I don't think I'd gain that much? 

What about use a servo type plug to fit more cells externally? Like on transmitters how you can plug in a lipo or one of those cases with AA's? Good thing is if its only 2 D cells then you can (probably, as in it was on the internet probably) treble the number as most of that stuff is rated to 9.6v...

Yeah thats the kind of motor I was thinking, like the Plasma Dash. I have no idea which one though, years ago my flatmate had a cheap slot car set and I had some old Hyper Dash motors lying around. The magnets were so much stronger than the stock ones that the car would crawl then suddenly fly off once the car was going fast enough and it kind of broke the magnetic pull, or something. It was 20 years ago and there was always beer involved. Anyway, it will just be finding the right one, easy right?

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

What about use a servo type plug to fit more cells externally?

My kids are 5 and 3, so needs to be kid friendly, so don't really want external wires to trip over, or in the 3yr olds case, eat....🤦‍♂️

4 hours ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

It was 20 years ago and there was always beer involved. Anyway, it will just be finding the right one, easy right?

The best plans always do!! 😂😂

I'm sure I'll get something to fit 😬

• Like 1

The best motor for hot wheels is gravity.

I do agree, I've had 2 different hot wheels boosters and they aren't really up to the job, but then you don't want to be firing hot wheels shaped bullets around the house. 

Best to clip it on the wall or a table, possibly more educational as well?

2 hours ago, wolfdogstinkus said:

The best motor for hot wheels is gravity

I live in a bungalow!  No stairs 😂

They've had it up on storage boxes, but they want to make a track,  which was the idea of getting a track builder set with 2 boosters, even when I set it up as per box instructions,  the cars aren't quick enough to go around the loop.

Some cars are better than others. We had a 2 booster set, and it only worked properly in one layout of the ,3or4 recommended build suggestions. 

I still think a 2 foot drop provides more speed than the booster, and only certain cars fit through the booster as well. I wouldn't let my kids play on the stairs unsupervised anyway. 

I totally agree, the boosters are rubbish.

And the sets are expensive for what they are.

Should have bought Tamiya. Lol

• Like 1

3 hours ago, wolfdogstinkus said:

Should have bought Tamiya. Lol

They've already got a few (only way to get them past my homes 'customs' 🙄😂😂,)

Its rained pretty much every day since September, so needed something inside, and the wife wasn't too keen in indoor RC racing...🙈

This is where the lunchbox mini comes handy.

i2W01aj.jpgsmall enough to race round the house and light enough for a young child to carry around.

• Like 1

Sweet!!

They've a lunchbox each, so a mini could be an answer 👍

My older two boys are 6 and 8. He was 6 when I got the new body for the big one. It's gone from silver can and ni-mh to brushless and 3s now, and he drives better than me. Lol. 

Just get a big pack of sharpies, draw it on in pencil, and let them draw round and colour. 

Me. " What do you want on your car"

Him. " Batman and Superman and smash bang boom" and flames, I want flames. Lol

Quality time though,

• Haha 1

I have probably spent more on the mini one, than the big one. Oops.

Mini

Bearings.

4wheel steer.

Metal cross pins for driveshafts. 

Full working lights. Indicators, head and brake lights.

Big lunchbox

Bearings

Hi torque servo saver.

3300kv motor( not fast enough on 2s, he said that, he's 8 now)

So I modded it to squeeze in a 3s. 

I think he's happy with it. But I might surprise him with more KV. Lol

The road rash on the roof has nearly worn through  but I think that was mostly me, trying to do speed runs late at night. Lol

5KT62Eo.jpg

My 6 year old still has silver can on 2s but he doesn't like it as much as his big bro.

Sorry, I'm hijacking your thread. What were we talking about?. Ah hot wheels,  

I was going to suggest making your own booster but don't want a die cast car embedded in one of your kids. 

That's some list!!

15 hours ago, wolfdogstinkus said:

modded it to squeeze in a 3s

This the mini?

The ,normal, lunchbox fitted 3s no bother.

Looking at doing the 4 bar mod for the rear and double wishbone front, but whatever I do, I need to do twice!! (Well maybe once, see if they notice 🙄😂😂

One what's paw patrol,  the other wants a Super wings livery...

No, the big one has 3s. 

Can't you tell by the state of the body?. Lol. 

It's a turnigy nanatech 5000mah.

I tried it and it looked like about 2mm too big but needed a bit of work to fit in. Filed all the ribs off the chassis, fitted some Ali angle and hot-glued some M/TL battery holders to the metal, it's took quite a few tumbles and held up fine.

spacer.png

NMN2wad.jpg

ab0lKjA.jpg

Not started motor work on the junior yet. Got a cheap hobbyking brushed ESC and don't like it at all. Not programmable, and you have to set it up each time you change from AA to lipo. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Wooders28 said:

whatever I do, I need to do twice!! (Well maybe once, see if they notice 🙄😂😂

I know that feeling. It gets expensive when you have to do two. 

Got 2 boys already, persuaded into trying again for a girl. 

Got twin boys. On the way home from scan after finding out, I said to her. " You know what this means?"

Her. "No"

Me" 2 more monster trucks. Lol"

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, wolfdogstinkus said:

Got 2 boys already, persuaded into trying again for a girl.

😂😂

I've 2 girls, and she's still suggesting the next might be a boy, but I've come do the conclusion I'm firing perfume so...🤐

Sorry @Wooders28 , I do apologise for totally taking this off topic, it was just that you mentioned doing everything twice.

I would possibly just purchase more boosters, and add a few more?

Service them and use a decent power source.

You can't go all out with brushless and 6s lipo on hot wheels when they are so young. 

They'll be flying round like missiles. Lol

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, wolfdogstinkus said:

I do apologise for totally taking this off topic,

It's fine! It's a tamiya page after all 😁

1 hour ago, wolfdogstinkus said:

You can't go all out with brushless and 6s lipo on hot wheels when they are so young. 

They'll be flying round like missiles. Lol

I know, and a caught my 3yr old trying to push cars through backwards, and trapping her finger, so might need a rethink, might need a slipper too!! 🤔